Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Okay, so I got my iPad 3 two weeks ago this Friday. I plug it in my computer and get an error saying that the USB device is drawing too much power and to unplug it immediately. I found out the USB is defected because my old USB chords work fine with it. I haven't even used the new wall plug because I am paranoid and afraid that it may be defected, too. Also, I did notice backlight bleeding on my screen, which I find to be quite odd because it is a retina display. I also believe my screen has a rosy tint to it. What should I do?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I don't think the USB thing has anything to do with the iPad being defective, it's just letting you know that that USB port doesn't output enough power to charge the iPad. Not all USB ports are able to power devices, especially devices that need as much power as the iPad. And I don't understand why you would think that has anything to do with plugging it into the wall? If that was a defect, instead of avoiding it you'd need to find out if it was broken so that you could take the iPad back.

As for the bleeding, you have to decide that for yourself. But I'm pretty sure the USB message has nothing to do with a problem with the iPad.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Your computer USB port is not putting out enough power to charge the iPad; you need about 10W and some older computers can't provide that much power.

As far as the rosy tint goes, that is your call.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Better yet. Take it back, get a refund, and get a real computer you can do much more with, like a Macbook Air.

melva

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Charging Block is for CHARGING

It comes with a charging block for a reason. Use it!

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
Take it back, get a refund and use the money to fund a plane ticket to somewhere you've never been before. The world is one giant retina display - without any backlight bleed at all.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Take it back, get a refund and use the money to fund a plane ticket to somewhere you've never been before. The world is one giant retina display - without any backlight bleed at all.

+1
Thank you. Even better than my suggestion!

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Just because you do not see a need for an iPad, does not mean others feel the same way. I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad and I use the iPad a lot more in bed than a laptop. Sometimes, a touch screen/tablet is better for the use. That being said, telling someone to return it is their decision - not yours.

Dkorda

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Take it back the.. Get a refund..

Buy and Android tablet, then you'll see why iPad is the best selling tablet on the planet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.