Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ehayut

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
I'm looking for an accessory that both charges my new 20GB iPod, and has an FM transmitter for my car so that i can listen to my iPod at a specified radio frequency. Does anybody know of nay good models?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I like the Monster one, it works well. But, it works a lot better in Phoenix than it did in the greater Los Angeles area.

If you are in a large city/urban area with a lot of radio stations, it is hard to find an empty band.

Claudia

macrumors member
Xtremehkr said:
I like the Monster one, it works well. But, it works a lot better in Phoenix than it did in the greater Los Angeles area.

If you are in a large city/urban area with a lot of radio stations, it is hard to find an empty band.

Sorry to make your decision even more difficult, but, I am from L.A (downtown) and I used it and LOVED it! I drove all the way from the San Fernando Valley (a friend lives there) and i drove all the way past Santa Barbara before i even had to switch the frequency once!

I returned mine, only because i would like to find a reliable FM Transmitter to use in the car AND at home with my stereo, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
I have the Monster one as well, and it works pretty well. If there is a clear channel, the quality is good, but, as others have said, if you're in a crowded radio area (like Chicago, in my case), it gets pretty flaky. Still, its simple, and pretty inexpensive. I'd say: Get it!

Aaron

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
This is prolly a stupid question but I dont care.

You know when you listen to music on the radio it isnt as good as the CD. Would that happen with an FM transmitter for the ipod? Or would it still be like having a CD in your stereo with good quality sound. Im sure there may be some static I guess but would there be like good bass cuz' on the radio you dont really get that.

Thanks.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
iTrip, or any other system from Griffin Technology. Awesome systems, and I love my iTrip, use it from Seattle to Flint, MI, only having to change Frequencies once in Eu Clare, WI. (or on another route in Des Moines, IA)

TEG

bellychris

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
New Jersey
I just got the roadtrip by griffin. It sounds great. I only got to test it on the jersey shore so far, and it goes through the strongest stations and I never have to adjust to diffrent bands. I used to use the tunecast II by Belkin and this transmitter blows it away, its so much clearer.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
benwa02 said:
This is prolly a stupid question but I dont care.

You know when you listen to music on the radio it isnt as good as the CD. Would that happen with an FM transmitter for the ipod? Or would it still be like having a CD in your stereo with good quality sound. Im sure there may be some static I guess but would there be like good bass cuz' on the radio you dont really get that.

Thanks.

I would say that the quality that you get is a little better than FM radio quality, but not much. It's basically just a radio station that you control. Don't expect full CD quality sound from your FM transmitter. That being said, it is still very good, and way better than listening to the drivetime garbage on the radio!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.