Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 8, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Unkei
macrumors member

Help! iMac in virtual reboot loop!

Please Help! 4 week old iMac. Worked great..loved it. Downloaded the iMac wi-fi update from Apple. Installed it..now nothing but grey screen of death iMac style, with Apple logo and busy circle. No amount of turning off and on solves problem and the perpetual loop does seem pepetual. You would think that a download from Apple's own site would be safe! Au Contraire! The geek squad at Best Buy said even with my 4 year extended warranty, the fix might cost me money. Luckily, I am a Platinum Rewards member, so can return it for money back if within 45 days. Will probably do so, but really would like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and advise what they did. (other than return it..hate to lug the biga#⃣#⃣ thing in to he store if there is some other way.
Thanks for any comments, even the expected flames
Unkei
Old May 9, 2012, 01:47 AM   #2
seanm9
macrumors regular

take it to apple

your first mistake is talking to the geek squad. you could try booting with the option key pressed and then select the recovery partition, or using any of the install media that came with the mac.
dont all macs still come with 1 year of free apple care... they can and will fixit for free
seanm9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:54 AM   #3
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

I had the exact same problem with a - shudder - Compaq PC several years ago. Boot, Windows Logo, Click, Boot, Windows Logo, Click (repeat). Took it back to Best Buy, they replaced it with the next model up for no cost. And we're talking Best Buy here.

You're talking about Apple. Take that sucker to the nearest Apple Store, they'll probably send you out the door with a new boxed unit within minutes. Or, fix your machine. Or, transfer your HD files to new machine, give you that. Who knows? But, you'll be better and happy when they're done.

I had a catastrophic failure of the Magic Mouse that came with my 2009 iMac. Let's just say it 'got wet'. I went to my Apple store, told them what happened to it, and asked what my options were to get it fixed. They smiled and handed me a new one, then asked if I would mind if they threw my old one away for me. Wow. Best. Customer. Service. Ever.
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Smartie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
I had a catastrophic failure of the Magic Mouse that came with my 2009 iMac. Let's just say it 'got wet'. I went to my Apple store, told them what happened to it, and asked what my options were to get it fixed. They smiled...
That can be interpreted in many different ways, at let's say 'several are not suitable for kids'.
Smartie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
That can be interpreted in many different ways, at let's say 'several are not suitable for kids'.
No, nothing kinky!

It ended up in the bottom of my 30 gallon aquarium.
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac