Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old May 8, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1
stevenb
macrumors member

17" MacBook Pro Hard drive replacement...

Well, after five years the old hard drive is on its way out. I have a new Seagate 750GB 7200 rpm to replace the 200GB one. I need to replace both fans anyway as they are loud, and going to replace the thermal compound as well. Basically, going to go through it. Hope it works when I am done. I now have Lion as my OS and no disc obviously as it was downloaded.

So, do I just replace the hard drive and install Snow Leopard, and then Lion afterwards? I have the hard drive backed up on a Time Capsule, but does it back-up the OS (i.e. Lion).

My iMac hard drive just failed under warranty and the Apple Store put Lion back on it when they returned it. So, I did not have to do any re-install of the OS. I just restored everything else off the Time Capsule.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:05 PM   #2
mgartner0622
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to mgartner0622
Yes, the time capsule basically clones the hard drive. If you start up from your Snow Leopard disk and restore from a time machine backup, it will be basically identical to how you left it before replacing the hard drive.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:31 PM   #3
stevenb
macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. I am hoping it will be that easy. Not a huge deal to install Lion again, but just more time. I will let you know after this weekend. Hope it starts up after the surgery.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro