Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 9, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

New information on Auto Quit

I have some information that I haven't heard mentioned before that Mountain Lion will have a new feature called Auto Quit that is different than Auto Termination in Lion.

In Lion when you close the last window of certain apps (e.g., Preview) and switch to a different application, Preview will quit itself.

In Mountain Lion, certain applications, when left idle, will quit even when the user does not close the window. However, instead of the application showing up as closed, a screen shot of the last view of that application will remain with a spinning gear overlaid on top of it. When the user selects the window again, the application will reopen in the background and the window will become active again. An example of an application with this behavior is the new Calendars application.

I am not sure if this is built into the most recent developer builds of Mountain Lion or not, but I hadn't seen it mentioned from users of those builds.
swingerofbirch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 12:15 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

That happens with Preview.app in Lion now. Sometimes if I leave the app unused for a day and activate it, it'll load the previous document shaded out with a spinning gear. And in almost all cases of that happening to me, it never finishes loading. It just spins forever. I have to force quit Preview just to use the app again.
sammich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 01:30 AM   #3
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Hmm . . . I haven't had that happen to me before in Lion, but you could be right. My source had told me this was going to be a new feature (or downgrade depending on your perspective) in Mountain Lion, but I could be wrong.
swingerofbirch is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion