Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9, 2012, 03:31 AM   #1
matt.wolst
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Can you stream videos from iPhone (4S) to an iPad?

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a new iPad soon. I think the 16GB will be enough for my needs as I have a 64GB iphone 4S, so I don't think I'll be using my iPad for music.

However, I am just wondering can you stream videos which I have on my iPhone 4s directly to an iPad, for bigger resolution etc?

I know you can from a Macbook Pro to an iPhone for example. (at least in terms with music)
matt.wolst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 03:45 AM   #2
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020
 
aziatiklover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Yes if you have that app call air view which i think its gone from the app store. I still have it and works on both way.
__________________
ppleholic
aziatiklover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 04:30 AM   #3
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.wolst View Post
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a new iPad soon. I think the 16GB will be enough for my needs as I have a 64GB iphone 4S, so I don't think I'll be using my iPad for music.

However, I am just wondering can you stream videos which I have on my iPhone 4s directly to an iPad, for bigger resolution etc?

I know you can from a Macbook Pro to an iPhone for example. (at least in terms with music)
Do you want to stream videos via AirPlay so that you can go on using the iPhone to still be able to control the playback, or, is simple file transfer OK so that you can directly play back the video on the target device? (I'd go for the latter as it's much easier / faster / doesn't requite jailbreaking).
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4
matt.wolst
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Do you want to stream videos via AirPlay so that you can go on using the iPhone to still be able to control the playback, or, is simple file transfer OK so that you can directly play back the video on the target device? (I'd go for the latter as it's much easier / faster / doesn't requite jailbreaking).
Say I'm on holiday and all I have with me is my iPhone and iPad. My iPhone would hold alot more content, such as videos. However, I'd rather watch the video on a larger screen, so I want to play it on my iPad. Is this possible to stream across in this instance, and what would the options be if so?

I'd have thought Apple would let you stream between devices, as it does with a Macbook Pro to iPad for example?

I suppose if this doesn't work, I'd have to buy an external hard drive?
matt.wolst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 04:45 AM   #5
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.wolst View Post
Say I'm on holiday and all I have with me is my iPhone and iPad. My iPhone would hold alot more content, such as videos. However, I'd rather watch the video on a larger screen, so I want to play it on my iPad. Is this possible to stream across in this instance, and what would the options be if so?

I'd have thought Apple would let you stream between devices, as it does with a Macbook Pro to iPad for example?

I suppose if this doesn't work, I'd have to buy an external hard drive?
1, it is possible via AirServer if you do jailbreak the iPad. Nevertheless, as I've stated, in such cases (as opposed to, say, streaming video to your ATV at home) direct file transfer should be preferred to AirPlay for several reasons (no jailbreak needed etc.).

2, you can use an externally powered(!!!) and FAT32-formatted (no NTFS, sorry) external HDD but, unless you jailbreak, you'll only be access specially-named (8-letter) videos in the DCIM library for playback via Apple's CCK.

HOWEVER, if you get an external HDD enclosure with a Wi-Fi unit (there already are some of them on the market), you can stream videos directly from it with a video player capable of UPnP / SMB / FTP / HTTP / WebDAV etc. access. Via Safari, you can access HTTP / WebDAV sources; via third-party players like GoodPlayer, also UPnP / SMB / FTP ones.

EDIT: an example of these external Wi-Fi storages is Kingston's Wi-Drive ( http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid ), which allows for HTTP (Web browser-based) access. This means you can directly access these videos from any players supporting Web streaming / downloading, including the built-in Videos (when invoked thru Safari or any third-party browser). Unfortunately, the unit lacks support for other protocols (SMB, UPnP, FTP etc.); nevertheless, most video players (incl. GoodPlayer) can play back MP4 / MOV / M4V files off the drive hardware-accelerated. Let me know if you need more info on e.g. acceleration.

Last edited by Menneisyys2; May 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
(Posted an important addition to my prev. post, hence the separate post now so that it gets noticed.)
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
rendez2k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Sorry for dragging up this oldish thread but I assume it still stands that with non-jailbroken devices you still can't send videos between devices?
__________________
:: Black iPhone 5 64gb Three UK
:: Black iPad 4 32gb Three UK
rendez2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Sorry for dragging up this oldish thread but I assume it still stands that with non-jailbroken devices you still can't send videos between devices?
Send as in Airplay? You can, if you have the app called AirView. It was only in the App Store for a few months in late 2011 before Apple pulled it. Works pretty well.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:23 PM   #9
rendez2k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Yeah, but AirView is gone and I don't have it! Was hoping a new app had come along or io6 had it enabled?
__________________
:: Black iPhone 5 64gb Three UK
:: Black iPad 4 32gb Three UK
rendez2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
There won't be a new app as it violates the App Store rules. iOS 6 doesn't have it built it, but there's always the possibility that it could be added in the future.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:45 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:19 AM   #11
rendez2k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Assume theres no way to upload movies to icloud and stream them?

Tried Dropbox (takes forever to upload!) and gDrive but they seem to do some conversion on the file and it ends up introducing tiny pauses (you can see it in the motion).
__________________
:: Black iPhone 5 64gb Three UK
:: Black iPad 4 32gb Three UK
rendez2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:49 PM   #12
carolined
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Yeah, but AirView is gone and I don't have it! Was hoping a new app had come along or io6 had it enabled?
I have airview, it worked with the iPhone4, but it does not anymore with the iPhone 5
carolined is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:16 AM   #13
rendez2k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
1, it is possible via AirServer if you do jailbreak the iPad. Nevertheless, as I've stated, in such cases (as opposed to, say, streaming video to your ATV at home) direct file transfer should be preferred to AirPlay for several reasons (no jailbreak needed etc.).

2, you can use an externally powered(!!!) and FAT32-formatted (no NTFS, sorry) external HDD but, unless you jailbreak, you'll only be access specially-named (8-letter) videos in the DCIM library for playback via Apple's CCK.

HOWEVER, if you get an external HDD enclosure with a Wi-Fi unit (there already are some of them on the market), you can stream videos directly from it with a video player capable of UPnP / SMB / FTP / HTTP / WebDAV etc. access. Via Safari, you can access HTTP / WebDAV sources; via third-party players like GoodPlayer, also UPnP / SMB / FTP ones.

EDIT: an example of these external Wi-Fi storages is Kingston's Wi-Drive ( http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid ), which allows for HTTP (Web browser-based) access. This means you can directly access these videos from any players supporting Web streaming / downloading, including the built-in Videos (when invoked thru Safari or any third-party browser). Unfortunately, the unit lacks support for other protocols (SMB, UPnP, FTP etc.); nevertheless, most video players (incl. GoodPlayer) can play back MP4 / MOV / M4V files off the drive hardware-accelerated. Let me know if you need more info on e.g. acceleration.
Hi again, you mentioned you could run a FAT32 formatted device if jail broken? I have a JB device now, so.... if I format a USB stick as FAT32 and plug it in via the USB camera connection, how could I browse the contents? Something like iFile?
__________________
:: Black iPhone 5 64gb Three UK
:: Black iPad 4 32gb Three UK
rendez2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:23 AM   #14
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Hi again, you mentioned you could run a FAT32 formatted device if jail broken? I have a JB device now, so.... if I format a USB stick as FAT32 and plug it in via the USB camera connection, how could I browse the contents? Something like iFile?
Yes, you can, if it doesn't take too much power - about half of them do. (Then, it won't be mounted.)

You can browse the content via iFile directly (under /var/mnt/mount1) and, as has been explained at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1464236 , also use symlinks to map any directory on the external USB stick to any programs, even AppStore apps.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:33 AM   #15
rendez2k
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Great! Just found out though that the camera kit doesn't work with iPhone so I'll have to wait until I get home (unless you can unlock somehow?)
__________________
:: Black iPhone 5 64gb Three UK
:: Black iPad 4 32gb Three UK
rendez2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the best way to stream external drive photos and videos to ipad? PicnicTutorials Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Feb 21, 2014 06:34 PM
how can i stream videos to iPad from external HD attached to Wireless extreme router guy curlewis Mac Basics and Help 3 Nov 4, 2013 08:02 AM
Possible to stream a live stream from an iPhone 5 to an iPad 4? bounce08 iPhone 2 Apr 1, 2013 10:50 PM
How can I stream live videos to my ipad? darngooddesign iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Feb 1, 2013 09:32 AM
Stream videos from router to iPad via external HD app? sl33pyhead iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Jul 30, 2012 04:12 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC