Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
I've been searching and looking at he popular media player apps like goodplayer, Oplayer etc but none streams to ipad with out converting. is there an app that does that.. im not talking about live conversion either. Seeing how apps can play file extensions like mkv, avi and such, theres gotta be an app that can stream from network to ipad without any conversion at all.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I've been searching and looking at he popular media player apps like goodplayer, Oplayer etc but none streams to ipad with out converting. is there an app that does that.. im not talking about live conversion either. Seeing how apps can play file extensions like mkv, avi and such, theres gotta be an app that can stream from network to ipad without any conversion at all.

You might want to take a look at my previous forum posts here - I've posted quite a lot of info & links on this matter.

1, GoodPlayer is the best player out there, streaming-wise. (Unless you jailbreak and use XBMC, of course.) There is only one AppStore app that, streaming-wise, is better than GoodPlayer: eXPlayer HD by Zhigang Chen ( http://itunes.apple.com/app/explayer-hd/id418100406?mt=8 ), which uses HW decoding for MP4 / MOV / m4v files over SMB / FTP sources as well, unlike GoodPlayer, which "only" supports HW decoding over UPNP/DLNA and HTTP.

2, it can't play MKV / AVI files with hardware decoding (yet); therefore, you will never want to play a 1080p MKV or AVI file with it. You need to remux (or, if the AVI has MSMPEG4 video stream in it, convert) them first. Remuxing a MKV / AVI file only takes some minutes on a C2D (or better) Mac with Subler and is fully automatic. (If you only have a PC, consider purchasing a Mac, at least a Mac Mini.)

Currently, there isn't a decent MKV player (I'm speaking of 1080p content playback) out there, except for the jailbreak-only XBMC. This may change in the near future as the new closed beta of "It's playing" is freaking good at playing back MKV - much better than "EC Player", the, so far, best solution for HW-assisted MKV playback.

dnyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for the insight. I was looking to sell my x220 laptop to get a MacBook air. Would it have enough power to stream what I need for subler. I got the x220 for the power to convert on the fly for airvideo.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the insight. I was looking to sell my x220 laptop to get a MacBook air. Would it have enough power to stream what I need for subler. I got the x220 for the power to convert on the fly for airvideo.

Even the simplest, slowest, reasonably up-to-date Mac is able to run Subler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.