Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1
TexasMac
macrumors member

A solution to the Apple Computer vs. Apple Corps (Beatles) lawsuit

Ok so I just thought of this while I was taking a shower this morning. It seems that is where I do alot of good thinking.

Apple Computer and Apple Corps should sign a deal allowing the Beatles catalog to be put on the ITMS exclusively. Apple Corps would get all of the profits from sales of the songs.

This would allow the ITMS to further cement itself as the market leader in legal online music downloads, Apple Corps would receive a steady stream of income for years to come, and consumers would get what they want ie Beatles music available for purchase online. It's obvious from the McCartney Live 8 songs people will buy.

The only problem I see is if other artists would begin wanting exclusive deals like this one.

What do you all think?
TexasMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Dr. Dastardly
macrumors 65816

The only problem is that iTunes is essentially why Apple Corp is suing Apple Computer. Before Apple Corp said that Apple Computer can use the name if they didn't get involved with music in any way. Thus with the success of iTunes they are now being sued. The Beatles have no interest in being on iTunes at this time. No matter how much Steve would want it.
Dr. Dastardly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:11 PM   #3
ehayut
macrumors member

Wow, I had no idea why this lawsuit was going on. It's really a shame that The Beatles music is not available on itunes

So what is Apple Corp demanding from Apple Computers now?
ehayut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:15 PM   #4
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehayut
Wow, I had no idea why this lawsuit was going on. It's really a shame that The Beatles music is not available on itunes

So what is Apple Corp demanding from Apple Computers now?

if you search the forums you will find a LOT of info on it, but basically it boils down to that Apple Corps feels that Apple Computer is infringing on their territory through the iTMS and that part of their last lawsuit was that apple would not have anything to do with music.... personally i don't see why its an issue, people are not going to mistake one for the other, and the iTMS is not a record label, just a store......

btw, the Beatles music is not available anywhere legally in digital download format
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:38 PM   #5
TexasMac
macrumors member

Something else I just thought about. Is it true that Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatle's music?

I'm really sketchy on how the whole music industry works.
TexasMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 03:39 PM   #6
anubis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMac
Something else I just thought about. Is it true that Michael Jackson owns the rights to the Beatle's music?

I'm really sketchy on how the whole music industry works.

Michael Jackson owns partial rights to some Beatle's songs. I don't think his rights are exclusive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
anubis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 05:03 PM   #7
JonMaker
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to JonMaker Send a message via MSN to JonMaker Send a message via Yahoo to JonMaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dastardly
The only problem is that iTunes is essentially why Apple Corp is suing Apple Computer. Before Apple Corp said that Apple Computer can use the name if they didn't get involved with music in any way. Thus with the success of iTunes they are now being sued. The Beatles have no interest in being on iTunes at this time. No matter how much Steve would want it.
Remember the hardware synth in the ][gs?
Old Jul 9, 2005, 05:10 PM   #8
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis
Michael Jackson owns partial rights to some Beatle's songs. I don't think his rights are exclusive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
From Wikipedia.org:

"In 1985 ATV's music catalogue was sold off and Michael Jackson paid a reported $47 million (beating Paul McCartney's bid) to buy the publishing rights to over 200 Beatles songs. A decade later Jackson and Sony merged their music publishing businesses. Since 1995, Jackson and Sony/ATV Music Publishing have jointly owned most of the Beatles' songs.
While the Jackson-Sony catalog includes practically all of the Beatles' greatest hits, a few of the early songs weren't included in the original ATV deal. Accordingly, Paul McCartney later succeeded in acquiring the rights to "Love Me Do," "Please, Please Me," "P.S. I Love You," and "Ask Me Why". Sony reported Jackson used his half of his Beatles' catalogue as collateral for a loan from the music company. However, Lennon's estate and McCartney still receive songwriter royalties."
dejo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 06:07 PM   #9
Loge
macrumors 68000

Any exclusive deals are most likely going to be time-limited, say 6 months. Otherwise you open up all sorts of issues to do with interoperability and anti-competitiveness.
Loge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 06:39 PM   #10
MarkCollette
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
From Wikipedia.org:

"In 1985 ATV's music catalogue was sold off and Michael Jackson paid a reported $47 million (beating Paul McCartney's bid) to buy the publishing rights to over 200 Beatles songs. A decade later Jackson and Sony merged their music publishing businesses. Since 1995, Jackson and Sony/ATV Music Publishing have jointly owned most of the Beatles' songs.
While the Jackson-Sony catalog includes practically all of the Beatles' greatest hits, a few of the early songs weren't included in the original ATV deal. Accordingly, Paul McCartney later succeeded in acquiring the rights to "Love Me Do," "Please, Please Me," "P.S. I Love You," and "Ask Me Why". Sony reported Jackson used his half of his Beatles' catalogue as collateral for a loan from the music company. However, Lennon's estate and McCartney still receive songwriter royalties."

That settles it, I'm never buying Beatles music gain.
MarkCollette is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod