Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Autodesk has released 123D Catch, Sculpt, and Make for the iPad. These apps allow you to capture, generate, and create 3D objects.

Catch allows you to take a series of photographs of an object from a variety of angles, send those photos to Autodesk's cloud server, and generate a 3D object that you can then view and manipulate on your iPad. Depending on your lighting sources and skills as a photographer, you can create some quite realistic images. Catch can be used by itself or it can be used with the other tools to manipulate and build real 3D models.

I don't quite understand why these tools are free -- if they're part of an intro by Autodesk, or if they will continue to be that way.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
They seem to be free for a limited time... I figure it's just an promotional price to get users to try it out and stuff like that

Thanks,got both iOS apps :)

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
YOUZA!!!!

Thanks for posting this.
Catch is amazing! One of the top apps to show how the iPad can be great at truly new forms productive activities.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
They seem to be free for a limited time... I figure it's just an promotional price to get users to try it out and stuff like that

Thanks,got both iOS apps :)

Cool.

I'm not sure if the free pricing is for an intro or is long-term. A PC version of 123D capture has been available for a while.

I asked on the 123Dapp FB page what Autodesk's intentions are WRT pricing. If they respond there, I will relay the message into this thread.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Leo Laporte reviewed 123D Capture on the iPad Today Podcast (episode #101 -- available as an audio-only, video, and hd video podcast on iTunes). The review starts at 1:11:00.

Leo did a quickie capture of Sarah Lane's head; it's incomplete and flawed. That's actually pretty educational about how to use the tool and its limitations. You've gotta plan your angles!

I fully expect that SAIC (synchronized array of inexpensive cameras) arranged in a good spatial geometry to capture 3D images will come into existence. A good capture-setup will also need nice flat lighting.

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
Leo Laporte reviewed 123D Capture on the iPad Today Podcast (episode #101 -- available as an audio-only, video, and hd video podcast on iTunes). The review starts at 1:11:00.

Leo did a quickie capture of Sarah Lane's head; it's incomplete and flawed. That's actually pretty educational about how to use the tool and its limitations. You've gotta plan your angles!

I fully expect that SAIC (synchronized array of inexpensive cameras) arranged in a good spatial geometry to capture 3D images will come into existence. A good capture-setup will also need nice flat lighting.

I just wish to show some basic terminology of 3D without glasses research:
Autostereoscopy is any method of displaying stereoscopic images (adding binocular perception of 3D depth) without the use of special headgear or glasses on the part of the viewer. Because headgear is not required, it is also called "glasses-free 3D" or "glassesless 3D". There are two broad approaches currently used to accommodate motion parallax and wider viewing angles: eye-tracking, and multiple views so that the display does not need to sense where the viewers' eyes are located. Examples of autostereoscopic displays include parallax barrier, lenticular, volumetric, electro-holographic, and light field displays.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I just wish to show some basic terminology of 3D without glasses research:
Autostereoscopy is any method of displaying stereoscopic images (adding binocular perception of 3D depth) without the use of special headgear or glasses on the part of the viewer. Because headgear is not required, it is also called "glasses-free 3D" or "glassesless 3D". There are two broad approaches currently used to accommodate motion parallax and wider viewing angles: eye-tracking, and multiple views so that the display does not need to sense where the viewers' eyes are located. Examples of autostereoscopic displays include parallax barrier, lenticular, volumetric, electro-holographic, and light field displays.

I'm a bit confused.

Autodesk's 123D Capture product is all about taking a bunch of 2D images and creating an internal data representation of a 3D image. It's all about the capture; it provides no way to view the 3D image as a 3D image. To quote the famous Tom Lehrer song:

'Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department', says Wernher von Braun.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.