Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old May 11, 2012, 04:09 PM   #1
osohardy
macrumors member

Load time for streaming remuxed blu-ray to ATV3

I know there are various threads on remuxing bluray rips to m4v for playback on ATV3. I know the process but just wondering one thing for those that are doing this: how long does it typically take for the ATV to do the initial buffer before it starts playing the file? I have no problems with actual playback at this point but with large ones, eg 28GB+ it takes about 2 minutes before playback starts (ethernet via airport extreme from a Drobo connected by FW800 to homeshare mac mini). But the buffer time doesn't seem to be linear--one that is say 15GB may load in ~3-15 seconds. In all cases they are 'optimized' either via iFlicks or Subler.

I'm still waffling on whether to just remux or handbrake down. The handbrake settings I use now after much testing I'm happy with overall, but they use a strong film tune on top of high profile, which has fantastic quality but slower encodes (4-10fps on quad core i7). In practice, this means I could only do 1 encode overnight and since the iMac is in the bedroom this would not be wife-friendly with the fans kicking in, so it is not often that I actually get to run them overnight. Also there are oddballs that hardly reduce in size from the original rip. Anyway-- point is when I explored just remuxing my rips for time and convenience I'm worried about the WAF if they take that long to load. Curious what other people's experience is.
osohardy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater