Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohokay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I decided to buy my wife a late 2011 13" MBA. To save a few hundred bucks, I went the Craigslist route.
I figured, "Hey, I'm good with computers..."
So we pick it up from this girl who very obviously was ready to get rid if it, possibly an ex-boyfriends... (or girlfriends, no judgement)
She had what I'm pretty positive were illegal copies of CS5, Microsoft Office, and Windows 7 running in bootcamp, and as she was ready to get rid of it she didn't wipe anything.
I decided I wanted my wife to have a clean experience, so I attempted to wipe it myself.
I launched the disk utility after rebooting with cmd+r and did exactly what I remember doing when I wiped my 2008 MBP running lion.
First, I erased the bootcamp partition, then I erased the other two hard drives.
Now, when I try to launch Lion installer, it acts like its installing for about 20 minutes, then I get the missing folder icon, the one With the circle and the line running through it.
I've tried to see if there's anyway I can recover the install image, but when I looked for it, terminal said all of my disks were empty.
How badly did I screw this thing up. I've also got a early 2011 MBP, is there any way to use it to hand over a fresh lion installer to the Air?
I've already set up a Genius Bar Appointment for Monday, but I'd rather be able to fix it myself.
Little help?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
On my phone so I can't link, but search for Lion Internet Recovery. It'll let you boot from the Internet and redownload the recovery partition, then redownload Lion from there :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Did your MBP come with Lion? If it did, you can follow this procedure to grab a copy of Lion and put in on a USB key then use that to install Lion on the MBA.

If you got Lion on your MBP from the app store it is even easier. Just option-click the purchases tab in the App store app and redownload Lion and make a USB key following this procedure.

ohokay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Well, thats the thing...
neither of these options work for me.
When I try to do internet recovery, lion begins to install, but about 10 minutes in I get the icon of the circle with a line through it. Lion never installs that way.
Also, I tried the method of capturing the installer and moving it to a key, but when I type in the first line in the terminal, it shows me that all my disks are empty.
I think I did something bad to this machine.
Hopefully the genius bar can help me...
also, I think the keyboard is shot on this machine. the "P" doesn't work.
If I bought Apple care now, I could get the keyboard replaced, right?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If I bought Apple care now, I could get the keyboard replaced, right?

The original warranty is one year and would cover the keyboard, so if you have a late 2011 you should still be covered even without Applecare under the original warranty.

Applecare is an extra cost to extend the original warranty beyond the standard one year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.