Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwmoret

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
I just received a Windows iPod photo (HP for Windows) and before I open the package I want to know if I can reformat the iPod to work on my Macs (I do not have a PC)
Thanks much
Jim

jwmoret

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Thank you!

I was concerned when I only saw Windows info and requirments on the packaging and thought this was a throwback to the old Windows OR Mac ipods. I admit I am not very "Mac savvy" even though I have 5 Macs.
Thanks for the reply. :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
jwmoret said:
I was concerned when I only saw Windows info and requirments on the packaging and thought this was a throwback to the old Windows OR Mac ipods. I admit I am not very "Mac savvy" even though I have 5 Macs.
Thanks for the reply. :)
Those could work on either as well, really. Just had to re-format. Well, except for the first-gens, but that's only because there was no software written to interface with them. I believe you can reformat those for FAT and use them just fine with Windows these days as well.

I don't know if it's the placebo effect, but the iPod seemed to transfer files faster over FireWire on the Mac when formatted as HFS+ instead of FAT. However, if you need to connect it to both platforms for any reason, FAT's the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.