Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 12, 2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Nostromo
macrumors 65816

Mountain Lion early release date?

There are a few stories on the web about a June release date of Mountain Lion (Apple Insider, namely).

What are the chances of this happening?

Will a new Mac Pro and Mountain Lion appear at the same time?
Nostromo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
fivenotrump
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
There are a few stories on the web about a June release date of Mountain Lion (Apple Insider, namely).

What are the chances of this happening?

Will a new Mac Pro and Mountain Lion appear at the same time?
<10%

no
fivenotrump is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Cook reiterated the late summer release at the earnings call. So, no.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6

There are some API's in IOS 6.0 that will be compatible with Mountain Lion so it won't be out until IOS 6.0 is released and that won't happen at WWDC because developers will be getting their first hands on it there.

Usually it's about 2 months after WWDC that IOS is released so I'm going to say August.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 02:04 PM   #5
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

I agree - given what I have heard of the DPís we are still a bit off from a release - we might get something much closer by WWDC (with more frequent updates) but we are only on update 3.5 or whatever. It is way too early yet.

When Apple says late summer we should look at that as optimistic.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Nowhere close. I'm using it daily but at times I am like ARG! Without breaking NDA Ill say its close but nowhere near close to release. I'd say Fall seems more likely. If Apple released ML in the next 2-3 months. Ill wait to run it full time in production. Apple though is on the right track with ML. Its everything Lion was suppose to be.
Old May 12, 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Nostromo
macrumors 65816

So, basically, Appleinsider is starting to look like an Appleoutsider on this matter.

Bracing for a late August or September release then...
Old May 12, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

ML is not even close to polished. They better not release it early.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
So, basically, Appleinsider is starting to look like an Appleoutsider on this matter.

Bracing for a late August or September release then...
September 21st is the end of Summer. I doubt it'll be released later than September... certainly not the end of August. But anything can happen.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Nostromo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogatyr View Post
ML is not even close to polished. They better not release it early.
Totally agree.

The integration with all major software applications should be worked out. Didn't Snow Leopard have some major trouble when it was released?

Rather have it fit as a fiddle in October than buggy in early September.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:48 PM   #11
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Nowhere close. I'm using it daily but at times I am like ARG! Without breaking NDA Ill say its close but nowhere near close to release. I'd say Fall seems more likely. If Apple released ML in the next 2-3 months. Ill wait to run it full time in production. Apple though is on the right track with ML. Its everything Lion was suppose to be.
Thanks for the sage advice. Reading between the lines, I'm encouraged.

As one with a tremendous amount of patience, I'd much rather see it released later than sooner. There's a lot to be said for a well sorted OS.

I certainly expect some bugs, it's a lot of code. Yet that said, if Apple truly focuses on delivering a good public release they'll come away looking very good.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Nostromo
macrumors 65816

I not only wish a mature release, but also one that's slimmed down a bit.

I like a rather slim OS, not something bloated with a million features.
Nostromo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Thanks for the sage advice. Reading between the lines, I'm encouraged.

As one with a tremendous amount of patience, I'd much rather see it released later than sooner. There's a lot to be said for a well sorted OS.

I certainly expect some bugs, it's a lot of code. Yet that said, if Apple truly focuses on delivering a good public release they'll come away looking very good.
I like ML a lot so far. Apple is doing good things with OSX again and that makes me happy.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:12 PM   #14
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
I like ML a lot so far. Apple is doing good things with OSX again and that makes me happy.
I follow your posts and value your opinions. This is extremely good to hear.

I'm very Pro-OS X and frankly I've been very discouraged lately.
(perhaps it's all the rumors, questionable reports, et al).

Having been a serious Apple enthusiast since 1991, someone who's relied on their computers daily, I was dreading the thought of Apple dumbing down the OS.

Now at this juncture, I have a renewed level of confidence.

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2012, 12:14 AM   #15
q64ceo
macrumors regular

Patience, little grasshopper
Old May 13, 2012, 12:19 AM   #16
jameslmoser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
I follow your posts and value your opinions. This is extremely good to hear.

I'm very Pro-OS X and frankly I've been very discouraged lately.
(perhaps it's all the rumors, questionable reports, et al).

Having been a serious Apple enthusiast since 1991, someone who's relied on their computers daily, I was dreading the thought of Apple dumbing down the OS.

Now at this juncture, I have a renewed level of confidence.

Thanks!
I agree, I feel a little bit better about Mountain Lion... I was thinking I would be on Snow Leopard until it wasn't really feasible anymore and then switch back to Ubuntu. Mountain Lion makes me think that might not be necessary. It is sad though that the most exciting features of Mountain Lion so far (at least for me) are things that give us back what we already had in Snow Leopard.
jameslmoser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:24 AM   #17
Nermal

The Apple NZ site states that it'll be out by the end of August, but I don't know when it was last updated.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:19 AM   #18
ADMProducer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
The Apple NZ site states that it'll be out by the end of August, but I don't know when it was last updated.
Actually, the NZ site says it's coming in the winter:

To see it: http://www.apple.com/nz/mac/
Old May 13, 2012, 07:30 AM   #19
TheOriginalKi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMProducer View Post

Winter in New Zealand is approximately June to August.
TheOriginalKi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:06 PM   #20
RamGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:

What NDA? Can't remember I had to sign any NDA on my Apple Developer account in order to test OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview, perhaps I overlooked something..

Mountain Lion in June seems early, but not entirely impossible if Apple crank up the development, but at the current state I've had more major bugs with the Mountain Lion Developer Preview than I had with Mac OS X Lion so let's hope they won't rush the release and aim towards a mid to end summer release instead of a June one.
RamGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:12 PM   #21
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
What NDA? Can't remember I had to sign any NDA on my Apple Developer account in order to test OS X Mountain Lion Developer Preview, perhaps I overlooked something..
Check again. Last time I tested stuff for Apple I had to agree to a NDA - the one I did was actually signed. Yours might not have been, but trust me, it is under NDA. Itís not a public information at all. Whatever comes out when itís released is due to people breaking NDA.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:19 PM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post

Mountain Lion in June seems early, but not entirely impossible if Apple crank up the development, but at the current state I've had more major bugs with the Mountain Lion Developer Preview than I had with Mac OS X Lion so let's hope they won't rush the release and aim towards a mid to end summer release instead of a June one.
You never read this whenever you download seeds ?

"Legal Notices
The pre-release software identified above is Apple Confidential Information and your use of such software is subject to your Registered Apple Developer Agreement and Mac Developer Program License Agreement. Distributing such pre-release software to anyone other than another Registered Apple Developer who is working for the same entity as you is considered a violation of your agreement with Apple and is damaging to both Apple and those who develop for the Apple platform. We sincerely appreciate your efforts to keep this pre-release software Confidential.
You agree that you will not export or reexport any of the software or Confidential Information received from Apple (a) into (or to a national or resident of) any U.S. embargoed countries (currently, Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria) without first obtaining proper authorization from the U.S. Government; or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person's List or Entity List. You also agree that you will not use said software for any purposes where prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missile, chemical or biological weapons."
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 03:23 PM   #23
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMProducer View Post

I hadn't seen that; I was reading a press release. However, as stated by TheOriginalKi, winter is June-August here so that's still by the end of August.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion