Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 12, 2012, 06:55 PM   #1
TH55
macrumors 68000

Do you ever accidentally hit the "edit" button in Messages?

I always do this. I don't have a problem with the edit function, as I occasionally use it. I do however worry I'll accidentally clear the entire conversation. Why is that even an option, much less such an easily accessible one? It is somewhat redundant and unnecessary when you could just swipe-delete the conversation from the list. This removes the whole conversation from the list, whereas "clear conversation" leaves an empty window. I can't imagine when you would want to wipe it clear and leave a blank box. Anybody?
TH55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Have you ever used iOS 1.0 through 2.2.1? They didn't have that edit function and it was a requested feature.

Most people use it to hide one or two things in a conversation from other people. Before the only way to hide something was to remove everything said to one contact. Then there are some people that like to remove old conversations or conversations that have ended.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2012, 07:12 PM   #3
TH55
macrumors 68000

No my first one is the 4s. That sounds a lot like apple - not include the most basic, primitive features that have been on phones for a decade like deleting individual texts and copy and paste, wait until it is nearly unanimously complained about and then implement it poorly and intrusively with no option to disable it.

I love my iPhone, I just hate the limitations imposed by Apple.

Last edited by TH55; May 12, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH55 View Post
I always do this. I don't have a problem with the edit function, as I occasionally use it. I do however worry I'll accidentally clear the entire conversation. Why is that even an option, much less such an easily accessible one? It is somewhat redundant and unnecessary when you could just swipe-delete the conversation from the list. This removes the whole conversation from the list, whereas "clear conversation" leaves an empty window. I can't imagine when you would want to wipe it clear and leave a blank box. Anybody?
This is exactly how I use Messages. Edit -> Clear All.

It leaves their name up when I open Messages, which makes it easy to go back to them.

To go back to the user when using "Clear All":
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap user's name.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Messages method):
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap Compose button.
3) Start typing person's name.
4) Pick from the list for their SMS number, personal iMessage account, or professional iMessage account.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Phone/Contacts method):
1) Tap Contacts icon (or Phone -> Contacts)
2) Scroll through huge list of names and tap the person's name you want.
3) Scroll to bottom of contact and tap "Send Message".
4) Pick from the list for their SMS number, personal iMessage account, or professional iMessage account.

Basically, the "Edit -> Clear All" method clears out the conversation and makes it quicker/easier to return to that person again at a later time. You can get things done *twice* as fast!

Clearing out the conversation helps performance slightly if the conversation history is HUGE and/or full of lots of images sent back and forth. It's a nice feature.
Xenomorph is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:49 PM   #5
TH55
macrumors 68000

Fair enough however I hit that edit button at least once a day, and many times I am prompted to "clear conversation" which I have never used
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:24 AM   #6
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
This is exactly how I use Messages. Edit -> Clear All.

It leaves their name up when I open Messages, which makes it easy to go back to them.

To go back to the user when using "Clear All":
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap user's name.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Messages method):
1) Tap Messages icon.
2) Tap Compose button.
3) Start typing person's name.

To go back to the user when using the "swipe to delete" method (Phone/Contacts method):
1) Tap Contacts icon (or Phone -> Contacts)
2) Scroll through huge list of names and tap the person's name you want.
3) Scroll to bottom of contact and tap "Send Message".

Basically, the "Edit -> Clear All" method clears out the conversation and makes it quicker/easier to return to that person again at a later time. You can get things done *twice* as fast!

Clearing out the conversation helps performance slightly if the conversation history is HUGE and/or full of lots of images sent back and forth. It's a nice feature.
Your reason is legit, however I accidentally hit "edit" and "clear conversation" far more than I do it deliberately. I almost never use clear conversation. I'd say this happens to me at least once a day, and it freaks me out because I come so close to erasing an entire conversation.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:24 AM   #7
divisionbuyzero
macrumors member

Accidentally clearing was a HUGE issue with the iPhone 3G because there was no edit button first. Just a clear button and then a massive confirm button poped up at the bottom.I accidentally cleared multiple convos back then and haven't done it since.
divisionbuyzero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:50 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I have never had this problem.
ucfgrad93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:57 AM   #9
TH55
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbuyzero View Post
Accidentally clearing was a HUGE issue with the iPhone 3G because there was no edit button first. Just a clear button and then a massive confirm button poped up at the bottom.I accidentally cleared multiple convos back then and haven't done it since.
Man that would have driven me insane, glad they fixed that. It's still annoying as is though I think
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:40 AM   #10
thatgirl87
macrumors member

It always happens to me.
thatgirl87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

OP, not too often.

What I do experience often is improperly tapping "send". It seems I frequently need to tap it several times to actually find the sweet spot to activate sending the message. It's probably just my tapping habit but I wish the send button was slightly larger.

Last edited by Gutwrench; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Gutwrench is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:57 AM   #12
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

I do at times hit the edit button mistakenly, but not often.

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone