Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old May 12, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
LERsince1991
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to LERsince1991
Printing on textured card

Hi,

my final presentation for university is on the 22nd may, for printing I have a few options;

1 Print on a standard roll of paper on the new plotter (really amazing prints Oce cw900 or something). but the paper isn't good enough and we can't have better paper in it. Easiest to print to but paper isn't good.

2 print on some pretty old A3 printers with some thick textured card, but I can't find any textured card from staples or anywhere so I might use some art card from paperchase craft shop (UK retailers) as they do some really nice paper selections, could I use this on the HP colour laserjet 5550dn printer? Fairly easy to use printer, can use it in USB mode and I have the HP universal PCL6 drivers installed. Like the sort of paper you would find in a top quality sketch book

3 Print on a fairly new HP plotter with my own semi-matte or other paper, most hassle which I don't like to take on at this stage.

SO I'm thinking of going for number 2, any thoughts on this? anyone used some standard sketching paper with a printer instead of sketching with?

THanks!
16TB HDD's | 32" TV/Monitor | Canon 60D | iPhone 5s
LERsince1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

I have got a lot of different paper types from The Paper Mill Shop (another UK retailer). I find some are great for printing on, while others are terrible as they either absorb too much and the ink blotches, or they don't absorb and the ink runs off.

It has been a while since I have been in one, but from what I remember they have fewer A3 options that A4. But they do a deal where you can fill an A4 box that takes about a ream of normal paper (so less if you get card) with any combination of sheets you want for about 4 or 5. That is a good way to try lots of different paper types, and see which prints well. and they do have a lot of different paper types, textures and colours.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3
PodPacker
macrumors regular

Hmm

I can't be much help finding paper in UK as I am in NYC and it's been 7 years since I've been there. But I would print using a laser printer on textured paper to avoid "fuzzy" type.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:18 PM   #4
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Why not go to a local area small size print shop and ask their opinion. I have been in the industry for 38 years as a pressman and even I have to ask opinions on what will work best sometimes. Not all papers are designed for every printer or printing press. Some papers will not work on a press but will work fine digitally. You can also try a paper supplier for the print shops. If they are anything like here in Canada, they will be more than willing to help you. Maybe even supply you with some paper as a reasonable cost.
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 04:29 AM   #5
LERsince1991
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to LERsince1991
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try it today or tommorrow on the laser printer from the craft shop that's made for sketching on, think its called cartridge paper. I'm concerned about printing on paper which is meant for sketching rather than printing on.
LERsince1991 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 08:25 AM   #6
davedee65
macrumors member

I've printed onto both cartridge paper and fairly heavyweight watercolour paper with a standard consumer inkjet printer and had very good results. Although I would suggest that you don't make your ink coverage too heavy as the papers are very absorbent.
davedee65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics