Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Theres been a few threads on this but might as well do this anyway:

command-shift-3: capture screen to file
command-fn-shift-3: capture screen to clipboard
command-shift-4: capture selection to file
command-fn-shift-4: capture selection to keyboard

However I would also recomend a freeware app from yellow mug software called SnapNDrag.

Another thread like this was Is there something like a Prt Scr function on a Mac?, which has some other comments as well.

::20ROGERSC::

WeeShoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
North Carolina
20rogersc said:
Theres been a few threads on this but might as well do this anyway:

command-shift-3: capture screen to file
command-fn-shift-3: capture screen to clipboard
command-shift-4: capture selection to file
command-fn-shift-4: capture selection to keyboard

However I would also recomend a freeware app from yellow mug software called SnapNDrag.

Thank you Very much!

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
WeeShoo said:
Thank you Very much!
My Pleasure.

If you want to change these settings, or change other keyboard shortcuts, go to

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
evoluzione said:
i still wish i could "print window" like in the good ol' OS 9 days
You can! If you read the thread linked above, if you press Cmd+Shift+4 then Space you can select what object you want to take a shot of!

Hob

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
hob said:
You can! If you read the thread linked above, if you press Cmd+Shift+4 then Space you can select what object you want to take a shot of!

Hob
Picture_20001-small.jpg

Works like a charm :)
X

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
jayeskreezy said:
do any of these let you scroll and capture? I had a windows program for my pc that did
There's quite an easy way to find out... try it!

Answer: no, you can't scroll and then take a shot, you have to set it up first. Sorry!

toesesareroses

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
But where does the picture go?

I've followed the instructions for how to capture the screen image, and I hear the "photo" being taken. But now how do I access the picture that was taken? I tried to paste into Powerpoint, but earlier text I had copied was on the clip-board. I wasn't asked for a file name. Where did the file go?
Please help.
Thanks,

soccersquirt82

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2008
I've followed the instructions for how to capture the screen image, and I hear the "photo" being taken. But now how do I access the picture that was taken? I tried to paste into Powerpoint, but earlier text I had copied was on the clip-board. I wasn't asked for a file name. Where did the file go?
Please help.
Thanks,

If you do simply Cmd+Shft+4 or +3, then they will be saved as "Picture 1", "Picture 2", etc. on you Desktop as a PNG file.

shish1

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
TinkerTool

Is there any way of saving the resulting Picture automatically from its default PNG format to a JPEG, for example?

Yes. There are many freeware applications out there to do this. One I would suggest is called TinkerTool. It will let set the default to one of about 10 different image types.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Downloading applications..... keyboard commands?

Yes you can do that, but there is also an application located in Applications/Utilities called Grab that will let you capture a selection, window, screen, and timed screen shots of whatever you want. If you want to convert the image you save, you can open it up with the Preview app and save it as PNG/TIFF/JPEG and various other file types.

No need to make it difficult for something so easy :)

Here's more info I obtained from a 2 second google search which is actually a guide located here at MacRumors:

* Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
* Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
* Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

In Leopard, the following keys can be held down while selecting an area (via Command-Shift-4 or Command-Control-Shift-4):

* Space, to lock the size of the selected region and instead move it when the mouse moves
* Shift, to resize only one edge of the selected region
* Option, to resize the selected region with its center as the anchor point

[edit]
Formats

Different versions of Mac OS X have different formats for screenshots.

* Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar): jpg
* Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther): pdf
* Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and later: png

In Mac OS X 10.4 and later, the default screenshot format can be changed, by opening Terminal (located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and typing in:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type image_format
killall SystemUIServer

Where image_format is one of jpg, tiff, pdf, png, bmp or pict (among others). If you omit the second line, you will need to log out and in again for the change to take effect.

shish1

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008

Good info about Grab, madog.

However, in response to your suggestion that using the TinkerTool method is difficult, let me point out that once you use it to set the screenshot to save as whatever default image is desired and then quit TinkerTool, that system preference is set from then on. This means when a user takes a screenshot with the normal key commands (like <shift><apple><4> for example) the image will be saved as a .png, or .pdf, or whichever was specified - but without opening an application, or even two. So, that would seem to save the user from opening Grab and then Preview to create a different image type.

As an aside, TinkerTool will also allow you to set all kinds of preferences to streamline the OS. It's a very useful free tool.

Anyhow, many options to achieve the same goal...

akakhanMBA

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
how to print screen and copy it onto powerpoint

Hi everyone,
New to this forum.

Trying to create a new post but ...

How do I print screen and copy it into a powerpoint presentation?
Thanks I need to finalize my presentation by tomorrow. Yikes!
ak

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi everyone,
New to this forum.

Trying to create a new post but ...

How do I print screen and copy it into a powerpoint presentation?
Thanks I need to finalize my presentation by tomorrow. Yikes!
ak

Shift+CMD+3: Capture entire screen to file
Shift+Control+CMD+3: Capture entire screen to clipboard
Shift+CMD+4: Capture screen selection to file
Shift+Control+CMD+4: Capture screen selection to clipboard

These will create a png screenshot file that you can then add into PP presentation.

akakhanMBA

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks so much for your replies! Much appreciated.

This only helps me to take the screen shot. I hear the camera click but how do I take the image and paste it into my powerpoint? I cannot locate the image once I've captured it. When I find it, how do I paste it?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
If you used the commands that include the Ctrl key, the image is in the clipboard.
You can paste it by using Cmd + v, as usual.

Otherwise (commands without the Ctrl key), the image is on your desktop.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
You can also do a spotlight search for a file called "Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 2.39.23 PM.png" or something very similar. That is how it usually labels the file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.