Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
I was in the Apple store swapping my phone the other day. While I was waiting, one of the Genius bar employees was showing this girl how to get her Home button to work again. He took the phone and turned it to the side and started tapping on the Home button. Like flicking it I guess. So as he's doing this, dirt/dust is working it's way out. If you have a black iPhone, then it's easy to see the dirt. The white is harder to see.

I guess I would do the tapping over a dark cloth to see what comes out.

Anyway, give it a try if you are having problems with your Home button not working the way it's supposed to.

HTH :)

comovartia

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
Thanks for that info.
I was getting ready to take my phone to the repair shop but this worked. I did not see any dirt come out but after doing this my home button is working again.:)

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Thanks for that info.
I was getting ready to take my phone to the repair shop but this worked. I did not see any dirt come out but after doing this my home button is working again.:)

Yay! Glad to hear it worked! :D

I think he may have tapped around the button as well. Not just at the middle of it. But if what you did worked, then leave it alone.

My iPhone Home button wasn't acting right either (not responding half the time), but I ended up getting it replaced because of the battery. I almost wish I had the chance to try it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.