Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old May 13, 2012, 07:10 AM   #1
jackbauer686
macrumors newbie

Problem with the iMac DVD player (software problem?)

Hi,

I've been having problems with my iMac recently, more precisely with my DVD drive.

I think it's a software problem, and not a mechanical problem. Let me explain:

When I insert a DVD:
- it will sometimes work perfectly. I can read, burn or whatever I feel like…
- it will sometimes not work. I don't know why, but the drive gives a few try (mechanical noises), and than ejects the DVD. If I try a few more times to reinsert it, it will just keep the DVD and not eject it, without recognizing it. When I try to open the Disk Utility program, it will simply froze, or it will open after 5 minutes, but the DVD player will not exist and not appear.

I need to restart the computer. Sometimes it will work after the restart. Sometimes not. It's really random, and I haven't found out on what it depends… Sometimes, when I reboot the beast because of a trapped-unrecognized DVD, the DVD player won't open. "Initialization error [-70012]"…

I've tried Option-Cmd-P-R at the Start, but it didn't help… I feel like there's something wrong with the software.

It's a 2 years old iMac, up to date, using Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

I've tried looking on the net, but a lot of people are experiencing mechanical problems (it simply never works), which I think is not the case here (it does randomly work perfectly).

Any help would be amazingly appreciated! Thank you!

PS: I'm new here, sorry if it isn't the right place to post. I posted here, because I think that it's a software problem, and not an "iMac problem"...
jackbauer686 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X