Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 13, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1
brandnb
macrumors newbie

iPhone texts sync to iPad?

Just picked up an iPad 2 and was looking around to see if it's possible to sync texts with my iPhone so the I can receive them via iPad? I'd assume this should be no problem with iMessage messages (my iPad is the wifi version). Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Old May 13, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
iPhalandrew
macrumors member

Yes!

i have an iPad (first generation) and an iPhone 4S and all the messages sent and received from my iPhone on imessage sync between the two products.
iPhalandrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 07:08 AM   #3
brandnb
macrumors newbie

Nice so there is hope - How was this done? Thanks
Old May 14, 2012, 07:16 AM   #4
SteveAbootman
macrumors 6502a

In settings, under messages, you'll need to add your email address to the Recieve At field on your phone (leave your phone number too). Make sure thr email addresss on both devices match.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:54 AM   #5
JohnRocks
macrumors member

You could also take a look at the app iFiles. You can transfer; basically, any file type between iDevices with it, as long as they are on the same WiFi network. It's a universal app, and one purchase will allow you to put it on both the iPhone and the iPad. This is a good thing, as the app has to be open on both devices for the transfer to work. But, it works well.
JohnRocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 09:00 AM   #6
brandnb
macrumors newbie

Would this be going through both message apps on both the iPad and iPhone?
Old May 14, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

I am a little confused by iMessage sometimes. I can send and receive from my iPhone and iPad just fine, but sometimes the iMessages sync to both devices at once, and sometimes they only go to one. It seems like if I start the conversation out on my iPad, it will always sync to the phone too, but if I start it on my phone, it does not always sync to the iPad automatically. But then sometimes it does. It's weird. I don't really care--I still love that I can use iMessage on both devices. I just don't understand the rules on how it syncs across devices.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Julien
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman0616 View Post
I am a little confused by iMessage sometimes. I can send and receive from my iPhone and iPad just fine, but sometimes the iMessages sync to both devices at once, and sometimes they only go to one. It seems like if I start the conversation out on my iPad, it will always sync to the phone too, but if I start it on my phone, it does not always sync to the iPad automatically. But then sometimes it does. It's weird. I don't really care--I still love that I can use iMessage on both devices. I just don't understand the rules on how it syncs across devices.
Actually you are not confused at all. iMessage is hit or miss and often doesn't sync correctly across devices. It seems to be getting better but Apple has always and continues to struggle with Cloud based concepts.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnb View Post
Just picked up an iPad 2 and was looking around to see if it's possible to sync texts with my iPhone so the I can receive them via iPad? I'd assume this should be no problem with iMessage messages (my iPad is the wifi version). Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Just for clarification you can't sync text (green) but only iMessages (blue). Text are sent to/from your phone number and through the cell system and iMessage is through Apple and your iCloud account. While the App is integrated with both there is a distinction between the 2.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Hobbozzrock
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Actually you are not confused at all. iMessage is hit or miss and often doesn't sync correctly across devices. It seems to be getting better but Apple has always and continues to struggle with Cloud based concepts.[COLOR="#808080"]
Actually I believe what's happening in this case is that different people are sending them to different receiving addresses that you have set up. Your iPhone is set up automatically to receive iMessages at your phone number and also at the email address that you use for your apple ID, whereas your iPad is only set up to receive from your apple ID email address. Hence why when you send them via your iPad to start, the person you're talking to receives that message as it was sent from your email and then their phone responds by sending everything in that conversation to your email and not to your phone number. So it's not apples fault here, per se, unless you count them at fault for not letting you add a phone number to your iPad for receiving iMessages.

Last edited by Hobbozzrock; May 16, 2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Messed up the quote box
Hobbozzrock is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad