Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14, 2012, 07:44 AM   #1
AppleTB
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Question iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S3

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am after some advice as to features that are on the new Galaxy S3 and what the alternative is on iPhone 4S...

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call =
Smart Stay =
Smart Alert =
Social Tag =
S Beam =
All Share Play =
Buddy Photo Share =

If there isn't a direct alternative a similar alternative would be ok!!
AppleTB is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
There are numerous comparisons found on google:
https://www.google.com/search?ix=aca...S+vs+Galaxy+S3

S Beam though, I don't think that has a very direct or even in direct alternative.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
DanBurns91
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Midlands, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
There are numerous comparisons found on google:
https://www.google.com/search?ix=aca...S+vs+Galaxy+S3

S Beam though, I don't think that has a very direct or even in direct alternative.
The bump application maybe?
DanBurns91 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 02:17 PM   #4
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTB View Post
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am after some advice as to features that are on the new Galaxy S3 and what the alternative is on iPhone 4S...

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call =
Smart Stay =
Smart Alert =
Social Tag =
S Beam =
All Share Play =
Buddy Photo Share =

If there isn't a direct alternative a similar alternative would be ok!!
Direct call? Is that just, like, a normal phone call?
mrsir2009 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
jcanewebber
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hi, First of all i think both phones have its own speciality, i love iPhones but i also love smart phones that can play Flash[swf]. I think s3 is more useful than 4s right now because android market offers alot of application which an iphone 4s has. when it comes to its hardware i can never compare since both of it are really reliable.

here are some informations and comparison i found on the internet.

Samsung Galaxy S3 compared to iPhone | Techyv.com
jcanewebber is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
monkeylui
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: A Galaxy far, far away
I'll be upgrading from iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S 3. I want a bigger phone already.
monkeylui is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:23 PM   #7
monkeylui
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: A Galaxy far, far away
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Direct call? Is that just, like, a normal phone call?
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.
monkeylui is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:38 AM   #8
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylui View Post
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?

Last edited by onthecouchagain; Jun 17, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
onthecouchagain is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:29 AM   #9
AbyssImpact
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?
Shut up. Whatever Apple does = justified. Who could argue, it is Apple after all. The 2nd biggest company in the world.
AbyssImpact is online now   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:38 AM   #10
mbell1975
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?
We all know Apple doesn't introduce any "new" features anymore. They just take all of Android's features, rename them and then try to pass them off as new. I am sure it will be added to ios7 (since Apple is always years behind current tech) but it will be called Face Calling.
mbell1975 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylui View Post
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.
Dont need to do that, but you can.

Enable lift to talk in Siri and just tell Siri to call the person after you bring the handset up.

I've been doing that since day one with my i4S
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:53 AM   #12
monkeylui
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: A Galaxy far, far away
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?
Who cares. Only android fanboys say that about apple products. Lol.
monkeylui is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:55 AM   #13
monkeylui
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: A Galaxy far, far away
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell1975 View Post
We all know Apple doesn't introduce any "new" features anymore. They just take all of Android's features, rename them and then try to pass them off as new. I am sure it will be added to ios7 (since Apple is always years behind current tech) but it will be called Face Calling.
Oh get over it. Seriously who cares. Android isn't a ground breaking innovator either.

My favorite analogy, it's like others cars after ford put in a handle also. Boo frickin hoo.
monkeylui is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:50 AM   #14
outz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
im definitely interested in trying out the s3, it looks like a sweet device. i bought a nexus directly from google a while back, but returned... the wifi was horrible. i hope the s3 will at least be on par with my 4s's wifi.
outz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:02 AM   #15
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylui View Post
Who cares. Only android fanboys say that about apple products. Lol.
I don't see any denial of the double standard placed on Apple products versus the competition.

You just don't see that sort of behavior with Android fans as frequently or fervently as you do with Apple fans. Not necessarily only you, Monkeylui, but you see it all the time from others: If Apple copies the competition, they're "just adopting industry standards." But if someone else copies Apple, they're copycats and can't innovate.

The Galaxy SIII is the perfect example of this. All everyone could talk about was how S-Voice is Siri, and it is, but everyone failed to notice Smart Stay, direct-dial, or wireless charging, or pop-up play, or tilt-to-scroll, etc. -- all of which are novel for smartphones or at the very least not copied from Apple. If Apple had introduced these features first, we'd all be in an uproar over how Apple is pushing the frontiers again. But not Samsung?

I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users tend to be about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works." You just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.
onthecouchagain is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:41 AM   #16
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users tend to be about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works." You just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.
I think a lot of this is because a lot of Android fans are phone specific. Like someone will like HTC phones and not have problem saying a Samsung phone is a flimsy piece of junk (that's just an example).

On Android central you rarely see people talking about the iPhone because they will argue to more direct competition which is another Android device. If you already like Android and you are debating between the One X and SIII what is the puny iPhone going to being to the tablet?

Hence why you don't see anywhere near as many iPhone threads on Android forums.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Hence why you don't see anywhere near as many iPhone threads on Android forums.
Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.
Technarchy is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:12 AM   #18
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.
Ding Ding Ding!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
chiefpavvy is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #19
0m3ga
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.
It's pretty funny that you say this. Reading these threads, the only insecurity I see are iPhone users trying to justify how great the 4s is. When the facts are show the iphone 4S is slower, lacking in features and that the ICS OS is smoother than iOS, the last things we hear from the Apple fans is, "Well, my iphone has better resale value" or "Yeah, but my screen is retina" or finally "iOS developrs get paid more".

I enjoy reading it all, even if it does make me pity you, at least I get a good chuckle in.
0m3ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:43 AM   #20
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?
It wouldn't be. I find Siri to be really useless. I like Direct Call.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:46 AM   #21
Cingular
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3ga View Post
It's pretty funny that you say this. Reading these threads, the only insecurity I see are iPhone users trying to justify how great the 4s is. When the facts are show the iphone 4S is slower, lacking in features and that the ICS OS is smoother than iOS, the last things we hear from the Apple fans is, "Well, my iphone has better resale value" or "Yeah, but my screen is retina" or finally "iOS developrs get paid more".

I enjoy reading it all, even if it does make me pity you, at least I get a good chuckle in.
Cingular is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:50 AM   #22
SR45
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpavvy View Post
Ding Ding Ding!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Ditto...

For me, I prefer the iPhone over androids, but that is just me. Care-less about which one is so called better as long as I'm happy with my choice, and wish the android community would just give it a break because their ranting will not change my mind. I look at the product, and how it works in my daily needs and go from there as to which one I prefer
SR45 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:57 AM   #23
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020
 
sk1wbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylui View Post
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.
The feature is already there. If you are chatting via messages, you can scroll all the way to the top of the chat and the button is there to call the person you are messaging.
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:55 PM   #24
Savor
macrumors 68020
 
Savor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylui View Post
My favorite analogy, it's like others cars after ford put in a handle also. Boo frickin hoo.
My favorite is what Bill Gates said to Steve Jobs once - "Steve, all cars have steering wheels, but no one tries to claim that the steering wheel was their invention."

SJ was the most INSECURE Apple fanboy of all when it came against Android.

If you are fanboy, it cuts both ways. Just internet trolls on both sides debating over a frickin' cell phone that gets replaced every few years. Nobody is going change anyone's minds and why bother, right? Android are talking crap about other Android phones and the iPhony. The iPhone fans are talking crap about Android's fragmentation, lag, or whatever sounds like a broken record debate. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Then the fluff and reassurance threads I see praising their current phones like they were patting themselves on the back for it. Gosh, I love my iPhone! Yipee! Messageboards represents very little of the actual consumers out there. They are not as vocal or as OCD in real life than the crap we read on the net.
Savor is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:34 PM   #25
FrankHahn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
I think that the existence of several mobile operating systems (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc) is good to all the operating systems. They can learn from one another and they can push one another for development.

Which mobile phone to use is up to the person that uses the phone. Some may demand the state-of-art hardware, some may demand the best user experience, some may demand the best build quality, some may demand a huge number of features, and so on.
FrankHahn is offline   6 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting iPhone/Galaxy Drop Test. iPhone vs Galaxy vs Rocket travis.hansen iPhone 10 Nov 8, 2012 11:09 AM
Apple adds Samsung's flagship Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note to 'Galaxy Nexus' complaint Dolorian Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 111 Sep 4, 2012 11:36 AM
Replace iPhone 4S with Galaxy S3 or wait for Galaxy Nexus Update? nikster0029 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 8 Aug 1, 2012 10:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC