Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JZTech101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Brunswick, NJ
We've all heard of Jailbreak Tweaks such as Speed Intensifier and FakeClockUp Right? These Tweaks may seem like they speed up your device, but in reality all they really do is speed up your Animations. If you are on the perception side of the Perception Vs. Reality Debate, then this is good enough for you. If you are on the reality side, then you'll like this better in the sense that it's real and not fake.

What you're going to be doing is removing the Launch Daemons that start as your device starts up and will run in the background by eating up RAM. By deleting useless Launch Daemons, you will free up RAM and CPU Cycles.

Let's Begin Shall We?

Step 1) Use SSH or USB Browse (iExplorer, iFunbox, etc) to the folder / System / Library / LaunchDaemons

Step 2) In the folder, select the daemons below you want to delete, drag it to a folder on your computer (In case you select a wrong file), then delete it.

Safe Daemons (Can be deleted By Any User):

com.apple.appsupport.cplogd.plist
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.en0.plist
com.apple.apsd.tcpdump.pdp_ip0.plist
com.apple.aslmanager.plist
com.apple.crash_mover.plist
com.apple.marcoagent.plist
com.apple.mobile.softwareupdated.plist
com.apple.OTACrashCopier.plist
com.apple.OTATaskingAgent.plist
com.apple.powerlog.plist
com.apple.softwareupdateservicesd.plist
com.apple.Springboard.SetupHelper.plist
com.apple.syslogd.plist
com.apple.powerd.plist

Conditional Daemons (These daemons can be disabled by certain users who have no need for some features of their device):

If you regularly run @p0sixninja's crash
reporter to help for jailbreaks, do not remove these :
com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist
com.apple.DumpPanic.plist
com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist
com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist
If you aren't developer, remove these:

com.apple.chud.chum.plist
com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist
com.apple.sharktrace.plist
If you don't use Voice Control, remove these:

com.apple.voiced.plist
com.apple.VoiceOverTouch.plist
com.apple.vsassetd.plist
com.apple.scrod.plist
If you don't use Accessories, remove these:
com.apple.iapd.plist
com.apple.mobile.accessory_device_arbitrator.plist
com.apple.accessoryd.plist
If you don't use Spotlight, remove these:
com.apple.searchd.plist
com.apple.search.appindexer.plist

com.apple.AOSNotification.plist - This daemon deals with iCloud
syncing.

com.apple.apsd.plist - If removed, Push Notifications and iMessages
will no longer work.

com.apple.assitivetouchd.plist - If removed, Assistive Touch will No longer Work

com.apple.awdd.plist - Feel free to remove it if you aren't using the CDevCrashReporter software.

com.apple.daily.plist - Reminds the App Store to check for updates to
installed applications

com.apple.dataaccess.dataaccessd.plist - If removed, contacts will no
longer sync via Exchange, iCloud or Google Sync. Disable this if you don't use those
services.

com.apple.datamigrator.plist - Used to transfer contacts from SIM card
to phone.

com.apple.gamed.plist - Used for GameCenter, remove if you don't use
GameCenter.

com.apple.itunescloudd.plist - Deals with iTunes Cloud/Home Sharing.
Delete if you don't use that.

com.apple.MobileInternetSharing.plist - Used for Internet Tethering.

com.apple.mobile.obliteration.plist - Used for Remote Wipe

com.apple.mobile.profile_janitor.plist - Deals
with provisioning profiles for ad-hoc app distribution.

com.apple.printd.plist - Starts the AirPrint launch daemon process,
remove if you don't use AirPrint.

com.apple.racoon.plist - Used for Virtual Private Networks. Disable
this daemon if you do not use any VPNs.

com.apple.storage_mounter.plist - This daemon allows you to use the
"iPad Camera Connection Kit". Remove if you don't use this.

com.apple.twitterd.plist - Starts the "Tweet from Youtube, Safari,
etc" process. Remove if you don't use the In-App Twitter addition.

com.apple.ubd.plist - Deals with Documents and Data Sync in iCloud

com.apple.vibrationmanagerd.plist - Deals with custom vibration
patterns.

com.apple.wapic.plist - Remove this if you don't live in
China

Device-Specific Daemons:

These daemons have different functions for different devices. Be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that these daemons are safe to delete from your specific device.

Remove this if you don't have Facetime Capabilities:
com.apple.CommCenter.plist
com.apple.CommCenterClassic.plist
com.apple.CommCenterMobileHelper.plist
com.apple.CommCenterRootHelper.plist
com.apple.aggregated.plist
com.apple.aggregated.dbservice.plist

Leave-Alone Daemons:

These daemons are crucial to the operation of your device and should not be modified in any way.
com.apple.fairplayd.plist
com.apple.installd.plist
com.apple.configd+pm.plist
com.apple.configd-pm.plist
com.apple.gmmd.plist
com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper.plist
com.apple.usbptpd.plist
com.apple.mtmergeprops.plist
com.apple.SCHelper-embedded.plist
com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
com.apple.mobile.lockbot.plist
com.apple.mobile.Lockdown.plist
com.apple.itdbprep.plist
com.apple.itunesstored
com.apple.UIKit.pasteboard.plist
com.apple.hpfd.plist
com.apple.cvmsCompAgent_armv7.plist
com.apple.cvmsServ.plist
com.apple.backupd.plist

Step 3) Reboot. (ENSURE YOU HAVE DELETED THE RIGHT DAEMONS)

​Note: Not all of the files mentioned here will be on your device. This is in general. Do not panic if a file said here doesn't show up on your device.

Disclaimer: We are not responsible in any way, shape or form if you mess up your device following this tutorial. (You probably did it in a rush or skipped out on backing up the files you were about to delete)

Last edited:

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
Awesome list! I would imagine it's probably not a good idea for a lot of people who seem to struggle with jailbreaks as it is to mess with any of this, but for people comfortable, it will totally make a huge difference in bootup and memory usage.

JZTech101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Brunswick, NJ
I could get to these files using iFile, I however am reluctant to remove anything like this until it is confirmed by someone else that it is safe lol. As in, I'll wait for someone else to play the Guinea Pig lol

It is Safe, I myself have done it as well as any other people. I don't recommend using iFile because you cannot backup the files. If you accidentally delete the wrong file, you can browse back in and put it back in.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
It is safe. This has been posted before and I've done it on my ip4. But I thought I read even if you delete the daemons the phone still searches for them even if they aren't there? But don't know for sure I remember it did speed up my ip4. Now language packs would be good to get rid of. Thought the insanely repo had something just for that though?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I saw this in another thread on MR a while back. I just renamed the "safe daemons" using iFile. I can't say I noticed any changes, negative or positive.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
What stops me from attempting this is things like "xxxdaemon: THOUGHT to do this."

I'm okay with hacking and jailbreaking etc, but if we're just doing guesswork here then I'd be better off installing fakeclockup to 'speed' up my device.

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
It is Safe, I myself have done it as well as any other people. I don't recommend using iFile because you cannot backup the files. If you accidentally delete the wrong file, you can browse back in and put it back in.

Well, the files will just be moved to the trash, and as long as you dont delete the trash folder you should be able to restore them

JZTech101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2011
East Brunswick, NJ
I saw this in another thread on MR a while back. I just renamed the "safe daemons" using iFile. I can't say I noticed any changes, negative or positive.

Renaming them does nothing. It will still launch regardless. You need to move them out of the folder into another one.

----------

What stops me from attempting this is things like "xxxdaemon: THOUGHT to do this."

I'm okay with hacking and jailbreaking etc, but if we're just doing guesswork here then I'd be better off installing fakeclockup to 'speed' up my device.
Relax bud. I've personally done this time and time again following this exact tutorial. It doesn't matter what is thought to do. It only matters that when removed, it speeds up the device.

----------

Well, the files will just be moved to the trash, and as long as you dont delete the trash folder you should be able to restore them

Ok, but what if your device is stuck on the Apple Logo? iExplorer will work regardless, but iFile won't work in that scenario

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Jan 26, 2010

exactly

My iphone is my lifeline when I leave the house/am doing my work. I can't have it crash/brick just to gain a few milliseconds of speed.

I would suggest just installing "remove background apps" cydia plugin. If you feel your device is running slow, just run that. I do it a few times a day and my iphone 4 is quite speedy with ifakeclockup.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Relax bud. I've personally done this time and time again following this exact tutorial. It doesn't matter what is thought to do. It only matters that when removed, it speeds up the device.

Even if that were true, 3bs is a much more credible/knowledgeable source around here and if he says it didn't even do much for him, I'm okay taking his word for it, especially when my iPhone isn't hurting for speed in the first place.

On the other hand, if other people try this out and get a noticeable increase in speed, then I guess this is the place where we'll hear about it.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Even if that were true, 3bs is a much more credible/knowledgeable source around here and if he says it didn't even do much for him, I'm okay taking his word for it, especially when my iPhone isn't hurting for speed in the first place.

On the other hand, if other people try this out and get a noticeable increase in speed, then I guess this is the place where we'll hear about it.

No don't take my word I may have done it the wrong way as I renamed them and not deleted/moved them :p

I will give it a try by moving them into a different folder but I don't have time now (exams... sigh). I'm definitely willing to be the guinea pig since I can restore my 4S to 5.0.1 now. I don't doubt what JZTech101. I have no knowledge/experience when it comes to these launch daemons.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I could see this making some sort of noticeable difference with the iPhone 4 but not really the 4S.

However still too risky IMO to mess with this right now....at least until the 5.1 JB is made available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.