Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I don't know.

But I bet there will be another new thread tomorrow asking this same question!

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Me: Is there going to be a new Mac Pro?
Siri: Everything you need to know about Apple products is at Apple's website.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I don't know, but as usual there is a flood of information about macbook pro and imac just before release and still not a peep about the mac pro. I really take exception to Apple using a "controlled leak" with today's Bloomberg story stating a release at WWDC, but even with all the Mac Pro discussion and suspicion of EOL, nothing. It's just mean at this point.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I really take exception to Apple using a "controlled leak" with today's Bloomberg story stating a release at WWDC, but even with all the Mac Pro discussion and suspicion of EOL, nothing.

Don't take rumors at face value. They assign terms like this to so that the rumor will appear credible. This in no way tells you if it was a leak or not.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
It has been stated that Apple will not comment on unreleased products. This case is NO different. Is it to the detriment of this niche market. I personally think so, but that has yet to be determined. Is it annoying? Sure, it's annoying. Every product I have seen Apple kill has been done with a very public statement. In this case I would venture to say no news is good news for the time being. If they were gonna kill it, I believe they would have done so by now. All this delay just means that apple hasn't gotten around to a release for whatever reason. Was it Intel's fault? Sure I think their delayed release of the processors has really hurt things.
I think a lot of this perseverating could have been remedied by a quick blurb from Apples PR dept. stating it's not EOL'ed to ease some concerns. That's the only thing I don't understand. The only real info people need is a yay or nay on if its being killed or not. Not details on spec (we have a pretty good idea of what it will be), or release date.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Back to Windows? Yes. All you switchers are screwing up the intended direction of Apple. Better as an underdog. When you are on top you do things like become Microsoft.

24Frames

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
I don't know, but as usual there is a flood of information about macbook pro and imac just before release and still not a peep about the mac pro. I really take exception to Apple using a "controlled leak" with today's Bloomberg story stating a release at WWDC, but even with all the Mac Pro discussion and suspicion of EOL, nothing. It's just mean at this point.

The Bloomberg article simply regurgitates the 9to5Mac article. It is NOT confirmation of anything. Just an example of shoddy journalism. Like so much of the garbage we have to read on the web it is pure plagiarism, I would expect better from Bloomberg than this.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

Flood of new information about the iMac?

You mean like "It uses Intel's newest processors?"

Yeah, that's certainly a flood...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Intel just launched the Ivy Bridge Xeon CPU's today so who knows.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/15/...-bridge-xeons-targets-microservers/#continued

Those are E3 chips, not the E5 ones that Apple uses in the Mac Pro.

----------

The Bloomberg article simply regurgitates the 9to5Mac article. It is NOT confirmation of anything. Just an example of shoddy journalism. Like so much of the garbage we have to read on the web it is pure plagiarism, I would expect better from Bloomberg than this.

If that's the case, then I am really disappointed with Bloomberg.

All of this flood started from these forums when two people found what appears to be a new iMac and a new MBP in the geekbench results. Then all of a sudden there was a wealth of info with the runour sites citing each back and forth.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yes, but these are E3 Xeons, which are limited to uniprocessor configurations and are targeted towards light-duty servers.

Ya. I see that but Intel is saying these are more powerful.

The Intel Xeon processor E5-4600 product family delivers up to 88 percent higher performance1 than a comparable Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 product family-based server and up to 3.8x2 the prior generation 2-socket Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series-based server.

They're also quad-core and have dual sockets.

whats the difference ? Other than these seem more powerful and come in quad core dual sockets.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Ya. I see that but Intel is saying these are more powerful.

The Intel Xeon processor E5-4600 product family delivers up to 88 percent higher performance1 than a comparable Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 product family-based server and up to 3.8x2 the prior generation 2-socket Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series-based server.

They're also quad-core and have dual sockets.

whats the difference ? Other than these seem more powerful and come in quad core dual sockets.

E3 are for workstations and servers, but they cap out in performance where E5-1600 begins and have less expandability and IO bandwidth. One advantage right now would be that they are moving to Ivy Bridge, but that isn't some magic jump in performance. One CPU per system.

E5-1600 are for workstations. You could use them in servers too but they have high heat output and you can get dual processor systems for similar prices which would usually be better suited to server usage and support more memory.

E5-2400 are for cheaper servers, losing out on some of the I/O and memory bandwidth/capacity of the 2600s to reduce costs.

E5-2600 are for servers and workstations, these will make up the bulk of the Xeon sales and you will see them in servers of all sizes from blades to 6U.

E5-4600 is based off the same LGA 2011 socket as the 1600 and 2600 and and just allows 4 processors.

E7 until now has been the only way to get more than 2 Intel CPUs in a system, it also offers some other features over E5-4600 for the type of customers who want to deploy multi-processor systems. It's future remains to be seen as there, at my last look, will not be a Sandy Bridge-EX. It will be skipped and Ivy-Bridge-EX will be the next iteration, maybe because they can easily deploy 10-core (already available with Westmere-EX) without major cost additions.

Apple will surely use E5-1600 and 2600. Not only because they directly replace what Apple have been using, but because it will be cheaper to deploy and offers expandability. Using E3 means a different board type and limited features over what is already on the Mac Pro.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Flood of new information about the iMac?

You mean like "It uses Intel's newest processors?"

Yeah, that's certainly a flood...

Have you guys been living under a rock? imac, air, macbook have been in the Mac news site headlines daily this week. Even new ones today. Mostly about the retina displays, but still in the news and non one here is any more of an authority one way or the other, than any one else outside Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.