Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
So unfortunately the time has come and I need to find a replacement for my beloved Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical. The left click button has started sticking and either double-clicks or I have to really smash the button to get it to register so I can drag/drop.

I've had this one for almost 10 years now and it has been great so obviously I haven't been paying any attention to what mice are out there now. As such I'd love for some suggestions.

Logitech's website doesn't have very many corded mice that fit the bill and only one of them with extra buttons lists Mac support. So who is using what mice that support configurable extra buttons?

A few guidelines:

+ OS 10.6.8
+ I do like to game (mainly TF2)
+ I've always been happy with Logitech but am open to other brands
+ I prefer corded mice, one less thing to worry about, but will look at wireless suggestions as well
+ At least one thumb button, more is fine

Thanks so much for your time and suggestions!

rpmor

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2012
Razer mice are nice.

Personally own an Orochi. owned a Lachesis and a Abyssus too. great mice.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I prefer corded mice, one less thing to worry about, but will look at wireless suggestions as well"

Logitech cordless mice work well, and the battery life is long. I have two of them.

I suggest you give the LG cordless mice consideration, as well.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
i just got the logitech m510 mouse its great i do like the touch mice that apple and logitech make but the thing i do hate about them why are all of them low profile mice as that makes my hand hurt

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I guess another question: are y'all using the manufacture supplied software/drivers or third party like USB Overdrive or Steermouse to get all your buttons programmed up?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
How partial are you to trackballs? I use a wireless Logitech trackball..forget the model number, but it has a blue ball and it is relatively modern, you can see it on the Logitech site. It is great with limited space for me.

As for drivers, I just use Logitech's Control Center, no Overdrive.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I've had this one for almost 10 years now
Ten years with one mouse? That is some serious dedication to a mouse.

As far as wireless mice - I never knew how much I hated wired mice until I used a wireless one for a few months. The batteries on most wireless mice last several months, so not much upkeep.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"are y'all using the manufacture supplied software/drivers or third party like USB Overdrive or Steermouse to get all your buttons programmed up?"

Either will work fine. Simply a matter of personal preference for one or the other.

Try both, pick the one you like best.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
I use a cyborg rat 7 and it's a great mouse. As a lot of adjustable features and the drivers for it seem to do the trick. They are official drivers and allows me to customize it a bit.

CUsurfer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
I use the Logitech G9x, and I love it.

Do you use this mouse with OSX? Does all the functionality work with OSX? Technically, it's not supported by for Macs by Logitech. Do you configure it in Windows and then use in OSX or do you use a third party driver?

Last edited:

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Do you use this mouse with OSX? Does all the functionality work with OSX? Technically, it's not supported by for Macs by Logitech. Do you configure it in Windows and then use in OSX or do you use a third party driver?

No, I do not. I've yet to test it with OS X myself (the only Mac I have is with a relative for the time being).

However, I do believe that you would have to configure in Windows and then use OS X. Just be sure to set the polling rate to 125MHz. I can try and test it out sometime, but it will be a while before I get the opportunity to do so.

minimac

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2003
DE
I have that exact same mouse! I don't know if I've had it for 10 years but it's been a long time and I need to replace mine as well. The rubber around the thumb button is starting to fall apart. I think my requirements are very similar to yours so I'm curious to know what you end up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.