Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
As a result of the release of Diablo 3, I am looking for a gaming mouse that will work well with the game, but most of the mice appear to be Windows only.

I have Windows 7 on Bootcamp partition, but I prefer to play on the Mac side.

Any recommendations?

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
I use a Logitech MX518. Works perfectly without any drivers, though I have USB Overdrive installed.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
the Razer Mumba 4G is simply the best mouse you can buy, the only downside to using it on a mac, it you miss out on the on screen display when you switch profiles and DPI on the mouse (the setting will still change fine but it won't tell you on screen (which I find temperamental on my PC anyway))

and you need a PC to update firmware of your hardware but that's not particularly necessary.

the best part is it can be wired OR wireless

syrinxx

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2011
Razer Imperator Problems

i use a Razer Imperator with the newest drivers on osx 10.7.4

in wow and osx all the buttons work -
if i play diablo 3 i can´t use the two buttons on the side an the two buttons on the top

- so i just can use mouse wheel and the normal 2 front buttons.

as i said in wow and osx everything is usable but not in d3...

the mouse worked fine without the drivers from razer too

any ideas????

thx a lot ...

bought the mouse just for d3

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
the Razer Mumba 4G is simply the best mouse you can buy, the only downside to using it on a mac, it you miss out on the on screen display when you switch profiles and DPI on the mouse (the setting will still change fine but it won't tell you on screen (which I find temperamental on my PC anyway))

and you need a PC to update firmware of your hardware but that's not particularly necessary.

the best part is it can be wired OR wireless

The mamba looks sweet, but it's a little pricey, and it appears that imperator is the same mouse minus the wireless option.

I also looked at the Razer Naga Hex Action RPG mouse. How does the Naga compare to the imperator and the mamba?

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I use the Logitech G700 with Steermouse. It is a bit annoying to change button macros as you have to boot into Windows but other than that it works fine. I used to own like pretty much every Razer mice but has since switched to Logitech. If it matters to you Logitech's customer support is much much better than Razer's (ex Razer mice breaks you have to send it in for repair, feet worn you have to buy your own vs Logitech mice breaks they send you a new one, feet worn they send you new ones as well).

atarria

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
DeathAdder

I use the Razer DeathAdder mouse designed for Mac use. All five buttons work in WoW with the drivers provided by Razer. The annoying problem it has is to reset my mouse speed to low every time I log on to my computer. Hate this but I am OK with the mouse. My cat likes it too -he ate the cord of my first one.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Razer Imperator.

Simply epic

All macro'd up for SCII

Anything Razer is WIN.

I use the Imperator also. Have small hands so moving the buttons closer helps!

As to the OP's original question, I can only speculate, but don't know as I haven't played it enough, that Diablo doesn't really have a lot of key function requirements. Most of the spells etc are really just right or left click button.

I could be mistaken though, but I played the beta on my iMac and now am playing on my new PC. Haven't found a plethora of options for other mouse key usage.

WITCH DOCTORS RULE!!

rosschang

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
Razer mamba. +1.

Wired + Wireless, recharging station, swappable batteries etc

downside: expensive, and of course, the grippy surface deteroriate overtime, fairly fast i would say, compare to other mouse. but then again, what mice that adopt this sort of grippy layer doesn't wears?

jfredsilva

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Be careful with Razor mice, a lot of them have (even Imperator wich is very expensive) problems with z-axis (watch some videos on youtube). This problem can't be solved with a firmware update because it's a functional problem with the sensor (Philips Twineye).
I would suggest Logitech or Steelseries.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I use a Logitech MX518. Works perfectly without any drivers, though I have USB Overdrive installed.
Same setup here.

To the OP, almost all mice works without a problem with a Mac. You might miss out on specific features, but most of those can be done via USB Overdrive.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
Be careful with Razor mice, a lot of them have (even Imperator wich is very expensive) problems with z-axis (watch some videos on youtube). This problem can't be solved with a firmware update because it's a functional problem with the sensor (Philips Twineye).
I would suggest Logitech or Steelseries.

the only issue I had was with the lift off detection, which I just turned off until I got a good mouse pad (Razer Ironclad :p )

mmoto

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
I'll tell what doesn't work well: Apple's Magic Trackpad. I used it four an hour or so last night before digging out my Logitech MX Revolution. I'll be alternating between the using the Trackpad for everyday activities (I'm a fan of gestures) and the mouse for Diablo.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Best mouse depends on your hand size and mouse hold.

As a result of the release of Diablo 3, I am looking for a gaming mouse that will work well with the game, but most of the mice appear to be Windows only.

I have Windows 7 on Bootcamp partition, but I prefer to play on the Mac side.

Any recommendations?

Most gaming mouse works on Mac without drivers.

Some mouse might need driver for non-standard buttons to work.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Steelseries makes a good mouse for gaming. I use one I got for $30 for Starcraft 2, but I had to buy a third party driver for it because their drivers are only compatible with the $80 Sensi, which I'd really recommend if you want to drop that kind of money on a mouse :p

jfredsilva

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Steelseries makes a good mouse for gaming. I use one I got for $30 for Starcraft 2, but I had to buy a third party driver for it because their drivers are only compatible with the $80 Sensi, which I'd really recommend if you want to drop that kind of money on a mouse :p

My old Steelseries Kinzu have OS X drivers.

At the bottom of this page you can find the OS X drivers.

smayragrace

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
I'm using Logitech MX518 mouse for playing games. It's too comfortable to use..Must use this for Mac...:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.