Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jctivo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I'm thinking of getting new ipad (3) and I have an Apple TV 2.

My question is that with the new retina resolution of the new IPAD will that cause problems when I use airplay to show video on my older Apple TV2?

Does that make sense?

any help would be appreciated.
jctivo

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
It will be just fine.

I use Airplay from my "New iPad" to my ATV 2 quite often and it works as intended.

I haven't picked up an ATV 3 yet, but plan to when I get around to it.

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
It will be just fine.

I use Airplay from my "New iPad" to my ATV 2 quite often and it works as intended.

I haven't picked up an ATV 3 yet, but plan to when I get around to it.

You may want to do this when you can still get good money on eBay for the ATV2, just listed mine last week with a buy it now price of $110 and it sold in under an hour.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
You also might think about using a mac mini as a portal server together with your iPad 3 and apple tv.

The good thing about using a mac mini as a media server is that it works great in this setup. I've installed Plex (free) on the mac mini and connected a hard-drive to it, as well as my Qnap TS-879 Pro. On my iPad i've installed Plex as well. Now i'm able to just browse to my movies and series and using airplay to directly stream it to my Apple TV2. The Apple TV is connected to my receiver so with one click on my remote control I'm able to select which device I want the Apple TV show it's content on, on the TV itself or trough my beamer.

To sum up. The mac mini works splendid as a remote media server, it's incredible silent and doesn't consume much electricity either. You can connect multiple hard-drives to it or NAS servers and stream all the media you've stored using Apple TV with the iPad as your slick media remote control. No more hassle with cables and time consuming setups.

jctivo

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
thanks

I already have a desktop pc running 24/7 for itunes library and I'm satisfied with that.

I was more concerned with highres video on ipad 3 vs apple tv 2 which doesn't have the new 1080p of apple tv 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.