Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Ok, so apologies if this has been covered before (couldn't find it in the searches), but I've just read an interesting piece in Mac Format UK discussing the woes of the first Rev D Alu PB Superdrives.

Apparently, the original '8x' Superdrives in these PBs' are Matshita 845E models that cannot run at 8x despite Apple's claims and in fact, only run at about 2-3x for most, if not all, of a DVD burn. The Apple blurb states that this drive can burn 'up to 8x' but few have ever reported this to be the case.

The guy answering also says that this model of the superdrive has been dropped in favour of a newer 845 model that still cannot run at 8x. Not knowing how to monitor burn speeds, I'm not really sure what my (845E) version has been doing it at, but I know I seem to wait a lot longer for stuff on the PB. Anyone got a newish (last couple of months) PB they could check their model number on?

Edit: Lesson 1 - read something properly... I've just re-read the letter and it seems the problematic drives are actually Matshita 835 models which were dropped in May for the the 845 version. So this PB has the newer drive but it's still slower compared to the pioneer one at work.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
hmmm

yes i belive some of these so called 8x drives cant burn at that speed apple tried ********ting people and said it burns at 8x for 15% of the time which again was bull so they replaced it with one that burns closer to 8x but is still 1x to 2x off depending on the pb manufacter date !!!

i mean my ti burns at 2x with a hack and my 1.25 ghz burns at 2x what the **** make progress apple !!!!!!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
that sucks. 2x is like 3mb a sec. 8x dvd burning takes me about 7-8 min. so you're talking 30+ @ 2x.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I burn DVDs (fully loaded) in less than 10 minutes, in mine, and I ordered the day they were released.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Same Here.

powerbook911 said:
I burn DVDs (fully loaded) in less than 10 minutes, in mine, and I ordered the day they were released.
I can burn a disk in about 8-10 min (full). My disk drive says: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-835E

Nuc

P.S. does the disc be it either +/- have a difference in how fast something is burnt. If I remember some of mine wrote slower than the other types of discs but I don't remember which...... :confused:

Edit: I got mine the week it was released.

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
Nuc said:
I can burn a disk in about 8-10 min (full). My disk drive says: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-835E

Nuc

P.S. does the disc be it either +/- have a difference in how fast something is burnt. If I remember some of mine wrote slower than the other types of discs but I don't remember which...... :confused:

What kind of discs do you use?
People have also said that the drives are picky on which discs they actually burn at via 8X speeds

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Nuc said:

Nuc

Well my month old 17in 1.67 has a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E.

I haven't burnt a DVD with it yet so I don't know what will happen. It would appear Apple have changed the model used though on the Rev D's since their introduction.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
DVD+R

ericssonboi said:
People have also said that the drives are picky on which discs they actually burn at via 8X speeds
I'm using TDK DVD+R. Found them on sale... My next batch will be Taiyo Yuden probably.

Nuc

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
So which one is better??

psycho bob said:
Well my month old 17in 1.67 has a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E.

I haven't burnt a DVD with it yet so I don't know what will happen. It would appear Apple have changed the model used though on the Rev D's since their introduction.
Does anyone know which is the better drive??

Nuc

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
ericssonboi said:

I'vve burnt all sorts on this one, DVD-R, DVD+RW, Sony, Imation, they seem to burn at similar speeds throughout. I still don't know how you can measure the burning speed though?

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Nuc said:
Does anyone know which is the better drive??

Nuc

Well I can only assume Apple replaced the drive to answer issues with the 835. As long as it works I don't really mind I use the one in my Powermac when I need DVD's burnt.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Apple discussions

I found this at the apple website link. It appears the DVD-R doesn't burn worth poo with the 835E model. I don't see why apple does this to people!

Nuc

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Nuc said:
I found this at the apple website link. It appears the DVD-R doesn't burn worth poo with the 835E model. I don't see why apple does this to people!

Nuc

Yep - there's certainly plenty of p**sed off people out there...

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I purchased my Rev D in January and last month, the Superdrive died. It has been replaced with the 835e. I have no idea what was in there originally, but I know that it was slow before with DVDs. Since I have gotten it back with the new drive in it, I have not done any DVDs, so unfortunately I don't know if there is an improvement or not.

If they were changing the drives out for something else and the 835e is the one that suck, I would be disappointed that I didn't get the new one. Although, I am not too hampered with the current one inside.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

yeah i mean what other company charges 1500$ / pounds what ever ,for a product that can not match its spec sheet
i tell u what apple may have to do a swap program or something because i would go nuts if this happened to me :mad:

Baldanzi

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Hmmm good timing finding this thread. I was just about to post a new topic about superdrive speed/problems. In May I bought a Apple Certified "refreshed" model from the Apple store near me. Its a rev D 15" 1.5Ghz with superdrive. Yes its an odd spec. Apparently it was a BTO from the store...it was the entry level rev D 15" with a superdrive upgrade. The guy got to the store and ended up buying a 17" instead. I got it for a pretty good price...Tiger too.

I never get the option to burn at anything higher than 2x (iDVD or just burning data). I'm using DVD-R discs..... What gives? Is this related to what your talking about?

I guess I'll need to go home and check the model number of the superdrive...

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Baldanzi said:
Hmmm good timing finding this thread. I was just about to post a new topic about superdrive speed/problems. In May I bought a Apple Certified "refreshed" model from the Apple store near me. Its a rev D 15" 1.5Ghz with superdrive. Yes its an odd spec. Apparently it was a BTO from the store...it was the entry level rev D 15" with a superdrive upgrade. The guy got to the store and ended up buying a 17" instead. I got it for a pretty good price...Tiger too.

I never get the option to burn at anything higher than 2x (iDVD or just burning data). I'm using DVD-R discs..... What gives? Is this related to what your talking about?

I guess I'll need to go home and check the model number of the superdrive...

DVD-R works with the 845 but as per earlier in this thread, I'm still not clear on where you can measure burning speed?

If your one is from May, it should be an 845 according to that article. It will
still burn a full DVD in 10 minutes, providing all the data is ready to go. However, it is definitely slower than my 8x Pioneer Superdrive at work burning similar Data - probs by about half.

I've not really checked up on this since. You heard anything new?

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
my 15" burns at 8x speed consistently (i've never failed a DVD burn) and rather quickly.

that being said, i have no burner as a frame of reference, as this is the only DVD burner i've used, and burning from Toast seems to burn much quicker. I don't know if this is an illusion, but get Toast anyway, it's well worth it.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Over Achiever said:
This is slightly offtopic, but I own a Rev A 17" Powerbook ... are the superdrives in them crippled as well? I remember people saying they were 2x drives but were crippled down to 1x but I never followed up on that.

Yeah I think so. Same piece mentions that they were sold as 2x but were crippled to 1x to prevent overheating. There is a patch available to improve it, but it was never endorsed by Apple due to forseen heat problems. Seems they just get past it by saying something along the lines of, 'it could, in theory burn at XX speed'.

Zach: I think this is a dumb Q on my part, but where or how can you see what speed it burns at? I've also heard several times that Toast burns faster than both iDVD and Discblaze, but I've not had an opportunity to try it yet. That that could be good to look into.

bammac

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Melbourne
AlBDamned said:
DVD-R works with the 845 but as per earlier in this thread, I'm still not clear on where you can measure burning speed?

If your one is from May, it should be an 845 according to that article. It will
still burn a full DVD in 10 minutes, providing all the data is ready to go. However, it is definitely slower than my 8x Pioneer Superdrive at work burning similar Data - probs by about half.

I've not really checked up on this since. You heard anything new?

I got my new PowerBook in late June, and have burnt plenty of DVD-R & CD-R media. I have the 845E drive and although I use DVD media (Imation) that can be burnt at 8x and I have set the drive to burn DVDs at 8x in Toast, it NEVER does. It takes around 30mins for 4gb of data not to mention the extra for verification.

Considering I have the "latest & greatest" in terms of specs in the PowerBook, I was a little dissapointed in the performance of the Superdrive.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
My Rev. D has a Matshita UJ-835E. I burnt a DVD on Sunday with about 3.8 GB of information on it. The disc was a Memorex DVD+R with max write speed of 8x. Including the verification process, it took about 20 minutes. I haven't done the math, but that is certainly faster than 4x.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
AlBDamned said:
Zach: I think this is a dumb Q on my part, but where or how can you see what speed it burns at? I've also heard several times that Toast burns faster than both iDVD and Discblaze, but I've not had an opportunity to try it yet. That that could be good to look into.

not a dumb question at all in terms of "x" speed. i have no clue how to directly see it, but i was interested in checking out burn speeds, so i burnt the same DVD image in finder and in toast, and toast did come out quite a bit faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.