Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfinn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
I'm looking for some opinions on a printer for my girlfriend. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it's just going to be used for printing out papers and things like that. Color would be nice as well. And of course, it needs to work with both OSX and Window$. USB connection.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I've been planning on getting a canon pixma 4000 for quite some time now, and just haven't pulled the trigger. There's a perpetual $20 rebate, which makes it something like 70 bucks from newegg, or slightly more than that at standard office depot type places.

Comes with 4 ink tanks, duplex printing, and the ink tanks are actually FULL when you get them, a real anomaly in the printer world, where all other manufacturers ship their products with tanks that are only half full or less. Replacement toner is also fairly cheap.

I can't speak from direct experience, but reviews from both people that have one and review sites all love the thing. There's a tom's hardware roundup of 15 inkjet printers that includes it if you search for it.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I have the HP OfficeJet 7130 all-in-one for color and an HP LaserJet 5MP for black & white. HP makes a lot of good inexpensive printers. Their print drivers are not the best on the inkjet side but they work.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I have a Canon IP3000. I loooooooooooooove it.

The cartridges are REALLY easy to refill. :) :) :)

I have it USB'ed to the airport express. Just remember to download the os x driver from canon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.