Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
So, I just got off the phone with apple tech support. And they told me to do an archive install. iChat, Calculator and Activity Monitor all stopped working compltetly and abruptly so the solution was an archive install of tiger. When I loaded panther i did a clean install. then when i loaded tiger i did an archive install. so im thinking maybe it would be better to go ahead and do a clean install. i have a full backup of all my files on an external HD so im not worried about losing anything. Im an old windows user and whenever I had a problem there I would do a clean install (which was somewhat frequent). Any thoughts?

Applespider

macrumors G4
If you're planning on pulling over your stuff using the Migration Assistant to bring over your old preferences and Apps, then there's not a huge amount of difference between the two, aside from the fact that the System will be a little closer to the start of the HD. Either one will give you a clean System Folder which is where problems usually end upl.

If you have the time to re-install your applications and restore all your settings etc then do a clean install but on the only occasion that Apple told me to do an archive and install (problem with an iSight and iChat), it resolved the problem and hasn't yet recurred.

NaMo4184

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
I used to think that

I used to think that archive and install was as good as clean install untill I tried it in real life.

When I first got tiger i did an archive and install. I was not happy with the problems I was having. After a clean install problems went a way and now thats the only way I install Operating systems.

The only thing i haven't decided is if I should do clean installs after a couple of updates. That might be going too far

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
hmm, well one for each side. i like the idea of a clean install. i dont want to install all of my programs again, but if everything works better in the end, i might just go this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.