Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 17, 2012, 05:08 PM   #51
TMay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Yeah, it's insignificant on a large scale. Doesn't bother me - but Greenpeace will latch onto it anyway.

My point (well, the point which Greenpeace will make) is that 170 acres will now be covered with opaque panels, which both shades the area (depriving everything thereunder from light), and by converting some percentage to electricity siphons off some energy from any ambient heating effects thus cooling the area further. Yeah, it's not an appreciable fraction of the earth's disc, but whatever lived on that 170 acres will be affected. And this is not taking into account the environmental impact of making a quarter-square-mile of solar panels.

They're making a comparable fuss about wind farms, so expect the same here. Deployed on a meaningful scale on par with national/world electricity consumption, there will be non-trivial negative environmental effects.

I think the consequences are worth it.
I want a Hummer too, and make no bones about it being less energy efficient than a Pious.
The spin I would put on this as far as ecosystems is that there should be islands of solar panels, perhaps 40 to 50 acres, separated by wooded/brush areas not unlike the typical small clear cuts that are popular and mostly sound environmentally. Habitat edge is very beneficial to wildlife.

Otherwise, the American West especially the Great basin where I live is ideal for very large arrays with minimal environmental impact.
TMay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:02 AM   #52
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The official proposal was filed with the North Carolina Utilities Commission on February 15,
five wil get you ten that Greenpeace still tries to take credit for it

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr1952 View Post
So true. I am all for protecting the environment and all that but really--couldn't Greenpeace have find a better target than Apple?
No they couldn't. because it wasn't about anything other than press. Apple gets page hits so it gets pages.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
This article talks about their biofuel (essentially natural gas from animal source) generators.
so what are they bottling Greenpeace's hot air.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:51 AM   #53
Konrad
macrumors 6502

LOL. This is a perfect testimony to the fact that people using macs lack basic knowledge of physics.
Konrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 11:52 AM   #54
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
It's really good to see such a large and admired company leading the way and inspiring people with such a large investment in green energy.
Why voted down so much? I thought that was a positive comment...
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:21 PM   #55
Doctor Q
Administrator

Quote:
Why voted down so much? I thought that was a positive comment...
Maybe because of the color of the text. I can't read the post.
Old May 18, 2012, 08:31 PM   #56
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
It's really good to see such a large and admired company leading the way and inspiring people with such a large investment in green energy.
Actually, Apple is following Microsoft and Google on this - the Mountain View offices of Google and Microsoft have solar panels covering much of the roof surface.

The silly Apple "spaceship" campus plans on using a carbon-based power plant.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:13 PM   #57
iMacoo7
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to iMacoo7 Send a message via MSN to iMacoo7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjim View Post
Er, I assume you meant to write 10^6 watts.
Yes, long night @ the Office....
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:08 AM   #58
sdruley
macrumors newbie

Job Opportunities

With Apple's approved plans to construct it's massive facility in Maiden, NC., I am wondering if anyone knows how to plug into any job opportunities associated with the construction of the nearby 20-Megawatt Solar Farm.
It would seem that this could be one of the positive implications of the venture. I personally know of several people, including my son, that have been looking for work for over a year now. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to get in touch with the right people. There must be a way.
sdruley is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion