Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
What's with the wavy scrolling on the iPad 3? When you drag the page up or down, the page kind of bends in this annoying seasick kind of manner. My iPad 1 doesn't do this, inertia scrolls just like my MBP and MBA. Running the same IOS, my iPad 1 looks totally normal when scrolling.

I asked an Apple store employee what it was, he said he never noticed it before and figured it was a "feature" of the retina display. Huh?

I searched and it doesn't seem like there are that many threads on this, so I guess it's not bothering a lof of people, but this little "feature" alone made me put the 3 down and not buy it. Wish there was a way to defeat the waviness in settings - anyone else notice this or find it annoying?

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
I'm not sure what you are seeing
I haven't noticed anything on my new iPad

Just load CNN.com, put a finger on the screen, and start dragging the page upwards. You don't see the straight lines of the text start to come up at the edges, and then settle back to straight horizontal when you stop dragging? I noticed this on ten ipad I just checked at the 5th Avenue store.

Update: whoa! Just noticed it on my Ipad 1, just slightly happens - maybe I'm seeing it more dramatically because of the retina display, or maybe it is a new IOS thing

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
No, can't say as I see anything like that
Maybe my eyesight just isn't as good as yours, but I don't notice a thing

Pinch and zoom in close, then drag your finger up and down on the right side of the screen - you don't see the text bending upwards on the right side near your finger as it moves, then straightening out as you decelerate?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I've never seen anything like that on either my iPad 1 or 3. Either your eyesight is too good for your own good, or you need to look at your iPad before the afternoon cocktail. ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Pinch and zoom in close, then drag your finger up and down on the right side of the screen - you don't see the text bending upwards on the right side near your finger as it moves, then straightening out as you decelerate?

I've tried to duplicate this, but I'm not seeing it
I don't have the best eyes, and I use glasses, so maybe that's it
All I can say is, it isn't something I see

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
I've never seen anything like that on either my iPad 1 or 3. Either your eyesight is too good for your own good, or you need to look at your iPad before the afternoon cocktail. ;)

Either that or you're not looking for the right thing. I literally looked at 10 iPad 3's at the store an hour ago, and it did it on every one, and there's this thread on Apple about it I just found:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3811453?start=0&tstart=0

And by the way, thanks for the snarkiness, it's so rare on internet forums these days

----------

I've tried to duplicate this, but I'm not seeing it
I don't have the best eyes, and I use glasses, so maybe that's it
All I can say is, it isn't something I see

Funny, I wear glasses too, thought it was my bad eyes at first. Reminds me of the rubbery motion effect some DSLRs have when panning quickly

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Holy cow I see it. Thanks, I didn't before and now you've ruined it for me! :eek:

Strange. I can see it right here on this page in Safari.

Maybe the graphics card draws the lines from edge to edge and with so many pixels in Retina there's a lag. Must be it. It will either need a new driver or faster graphics card to fix it. Most likely card.

Ok! Turn the ipd horizontal and lock the orientation. Then turn the iPad verticle and scroll the page. I don't see the waves. So the card draws the lines side to side along the short side.

Last edited:

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
9 tabs open and I could not reproduce the problem.
I tried zooming and scrolling very slowly.
As fluid as it gets.
(CNN.com)

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Wasn't being snarky, I was making a joke, thus the winking eye. Lack of a sense of humor is also rare on an Internet forum, apparently.

*shrug* I don't use my iPad to stare at the edges of the screen while scrolling. Seems an awfully trivial and unimportant thing to make an issue of, in my opinion anyway.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I was trying to duplicate it but couldn't... then I realized that I was in landscape mode. The effect is a lot more pronounced in portrait.

The GPU probably has to do more work to update the screen in portrait mode than landscape.

Anhyway, considering that "perfectly straight scrolling" is not really a critical feature for me, I'm not really bothered by it.

trickness

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Holy cow I see it. Thanks, I didn't before and now you've ruined it for me! :eek:

Strange. I can see it right here on this page in Safari.

Maybe the graphics card draws the lines from edge to edge and with so many pixels in Retina there's a lag. Must be it. It will either need a new driver or faster graphics card to fix it. Most likely card.

Ok! Turn the ipd horizontal and lock the orientation. Then turn the iPad verticle and scroll the page. I don't see the waves. So the card draws the lines side to side along the short side.

OK so I'm not crazy! Thank God :D

The thread I linked on Apple discussions to says it goes away in Landscape, which is what I noticed in the store.

Funny thing is, I came home and tried my iPad 1, never noticed it before, but it also does it very slightly. I'm thinking retina makes it easier to see or it's doing it more because the GPU has a tougher job scrolling all those pixels.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I know what you're seeing it is a bit annoying at times, only thing that makes it not as noticeable and easier on the eyes is to scroll slower

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
There is a thread about it somewhere on MacRumors too, but I don't think it became a very long discussion.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Now I can't stop playing with it. Kinda like when you shake a pencil it looks like its bending. Very pleasant. As is using a pencil eraser deep in your ear canal. Aaaahhhhhhhhhh. :D

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Stop Griping!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3811928?start=0&tstart=0

Two page thread on this on Apple Discussions, refresh/framerate issue, likely because the GPU is not exactly up to the display rez. Like I said, I own an MBP and an MBP and an iPad 1, but I'm not such a fanboy that I blindly ignore what I see with my own eyes.

I have no gripes what-so-ever with my iPad. Like I said before, if you have a problem with it, return, get an Android. Thank you. Move along. NEXT!!

:D :D :D :D

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
What's with the wavy scrolling on the iPad 3? When you drag the page up or down, the page kind of bends in this annoying seasick kind of manner. My iPad 1 doesn't do this, inertia scrolls just like my MBP and MBA. Running the same IOS, my iPad 1 looks totally normal when scrolling.

I asked an Apple store employee what it was, he said he never noticed it before and figured it was a "feature" of the retina display. Huh?

I searched and it doesn't seem like there are that many threads on this, so I guess it's not bothering a lof of people, but this little "feature" alone made me put the 3 down and not buy it. Wish there was a way to defeat the waviness in settings - anyone else notice this or find it annoying?

Your right.

Does the same thing on my iPad2 but it is more pronounced on the iPad3 Retina display.

I don't hate it as I don't spend most of my time scrolling.

When I use a TelePrompTer app like PromptWare or something where its only purpose is to scroll, it has never been a issue.

Did you ever notice that the bezel on the white iPad isn't really white like a sheet of notebook paper? Even toilet paper is whiter.

Don't ya just hate that..... :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
From the description - could it be an effect of the dual GPU cores? If one core 'renders' one half of the screen, could there by syncing issues when scrolling quickly through content?

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Have others noticed the issue on iPad 2 as well? If the res is higher than the issue is more pronounced Maybe due to the Clarity and not the GPU not up to par?

Did you ever notice that the bezel on the white iPad isn't really white like a sheet of notebook paper? Even toilet paper is whiter.

Don't ya just hate that..... :)

It's very white, especially in high quality, true white lighting or outdoors. The issue is that the bezel changes color with the lighting in the room. Sometimes it looks beige or off white.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
This is completely normal but some people notice it more then others. My friend does not notice it on our ipads at all but to me it is very obvious on both of our ipads. Its the same thing as the rolling shutter effect when shooting video with a DSLR. Its how the screen is redrawn one line at a time or how the camera sensor records the image 1 line at a time. When scrolling by the time it finishes drawing the screen the screen has already moved from the scrolling. My macbook air 11" also does the same thing when I swipe from screen to screen using Lion. There are 2 solutions to eliminate this

1) Increase the redraw rate of the screen to help minimize this. This will probably require much faster GPU.

2) Draw the entire screen at once (not sure if this can be done)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.