Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17, 2012, 01:46 PM   #1
Dexter25
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
General Keylogger Questions

Hello, I am kind of curious if I have a key logger installed thru software on my Mac. To end my paranoia it would be awesome if anyone with good knowledge of key loggers and OSX can answer a couple of questions for me.

1. What are the ways a key logger can be installed on your Mac remotely?

2. Can a person using windows use a key logger to gain information from a Mac?

Thanks! Sorry to bother.
Dexter25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Currently, no software can be installed remotedly on a Mac by default.

There are trojans but they require fooling YOU into install such software.
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Dexter25
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Currently, no software can be installed remotedly on a Mac by default.

There are trojans but they require fooling YOU into install such software.
Thanks for the input.
Dexter25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 08:48 PM   #4
rm -rf /*
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Keylogger

The response is simply not true. There are plenty PoCs to sneak a keylogger into OS X. That being said, the easiest way to see if you have one running is to check activity monitor and look for suspicious threads. Another is to check /library/system/launchdaemons and check what kexts are there. This is the most common place a keylogger would reside. Plus, check to see if there are any crontabs typing sudo crontab -l in terminal.

If you have a keylogger, however, it's 99.9% likely that it was installed on your box by someone with physical access.
rm -rf /* is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 10:40 PM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf /* View Post
The response is simply not true. There are plenty PoCs to sneak a keylogger into OS X. .
Name one.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 10:55 PM   #6
AdaS
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Currently, no software can be installed remotedly on a Mac by default.
I am not sure if there is a keylogger that can be installed remotely, but very accidentally,
I got this website www.remote-keylogger-for-mac.com
It is said that Aobo software will release a remote keylogger for Mac that supports remote installation. I haven't checked this keylogger yet, so I am not sure if it is true.
__________________

Last edited by AdaS; May 22, 2012 at 02:33 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
AdaS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 11:41 PM   #7
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter25 View Post
Hello, I am kind of curious if I have a key logger installed thru software on my Mac. To end my paranoia it would be awesome if anyone with good knowledge of key loggers and OSX can answer a couple of questions for me.

1. What are the ways a key logger can be installed on your Mac remotely?

2. Can a person using windows use a key logger to gain information from a Mac?

Thanks! Sorry to bother.
I recommend that you use Macscan and do a full scan.

You can download the trial version and do a full scan.

macscan.securemac.com and please check thru their lists of known spywares.

http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/

Check for any possible viruses with DrWeb Light for Mac. (A good virus scanner and it's free!)

http://www.freedrweb.com/drweb+mac+light/
betatest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2012, 11:52 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaS View Post
I am not sure if there is a keylogger that can be installed remotely, but very accidentally,
I got this website www.remote-keylogger-for-mac.com
It is said Aobo software will release remote keylogger for Mac that support remote installation. I haven't check this keylogger, and I am not sure if it is true.
As you can see, it is just a hoax, just look at the date of the comments. But I guess those dates will change soon.

And who announces a keylogger like this? Idiots?


To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter25 View Post
Hello, I am kind of curious if I have a key logger installed thru software on my Mac. To end my paranoia it would be awesome if anyone with good knowledge of key loggers and OSX can answer a couple of questions for me.

1. What are the ways a key logger can be installed on your Mac remotely?

2. Can a person using windows use a key logger to gain information from a Mac?

Thanks! Sorry to bother.
The real problem is Mac do have viruses!

Who says there is no Mac Viruses when there are many Anti Virus Security Companies starts producing Antivirus for Mac products.

Well look at this link and it speaks for itself!

http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/

http://www.ikarus.at/en/private/info...=osx&what=name

http://clamav-du.securesites.net/cgi...fields=display

http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/

https://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/Th....aspx?term=osx
betatest is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:20 AM   #10
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by betatest View Post
The real problem is Mac do have viruses!

Who says there is no Mac Viruses when there are many Anti Virus Security Companies starts producing Antivirus for Mac products.

Well look at this link and it speaks for itself!

http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/

http://www.ikarus.at/en/private/info...=osx&what=name

http://clamav-du.securesites.net/cgi...fields=display

http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/

https://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/Th....aspx?term=osx
None of these are viruses, unless you don't care about the actual definition what a virus are and call all malware "virus".
But then again, who really wants to know the difference anyway?

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
Ah, I just looked at your post history. Yeah, those are viruses. Have a good day.

Man, the idiocy today, hard to be topped, but it probably will be.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:26 AM   #11
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
None of these are viruses, unless you don't care about the actual definition what a virus are and call all malware "virus".
But then again, who really wants to know the difference anyway?

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
Ah, I just looked at your post history. Yeah, those are viruses. Have a good day.

Man, the idiocy today, hard to be topped, but it probably will be.
How would you explain when there are 600,000 Macs being infected with a Flashback viruses.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...?tag=txt;title

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...?tag=txt;title

Listen to me there is infact viruses for Mac.

(Nothing is secure!)
betatest is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:31 AM   #12
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by betatest View Post
How would you explain when there are 600,000 Macs being infected with a Flashback viruses.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...?tag=txt;title

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-574...?tag=txt;title

Listen to me there is infact viruses for Mac.

(Nothing is secure!)
I would say, that they are not viruses, but trojans exploiting a vulnerability in Java to infect Macs. While it seems like a virus-like infection, it actually is not, as there is no spreading from one infected Mac to the other (one of the marks of a proper virus).

Do you actually care about knowledge or are your here to spout out ignorance and linking to half-assly researched articles?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:32 AM   #13
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
None of these are viruses, unless you don't care about the actual definition what a virus are and call all malware "virus".
But then again, who really wants to know the difference anyway?

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
Ah, I just looked at your post history. Yeah, those are viruses. Have a good day.

Man, the idiocy today, hard to be topped, but it probably will be.
Read this!

http://www.cultofmac.com/132782/if-y...est-wikileaks/

http://wikileaks.org/the-spyfiles.html
betatest is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:36 AM   #14
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
What does that have to do with "VIRUSES"? Come on, why not tell us why you are really here? Your behaviour is that of a troll. And a bad one at that. Linking to one article after the other, none of them having anything to do with PROPER viruses, doesn't get you that far.

But then again, mods are sleeping, thus you need to exploit that window. Ups, I didn't write that ....
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 12:51 AM   #15
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
What does that have to do with "VIRUSES"? Come on, why not tell us why you are really here? Your behaviour is that of a troll. And a bad one at that. Linking to one article after the other, none of them having anything to do with PROPER viruses, doesn't get you that far.

But then again, mods are sleeping, thus you need to exploit that window. Ups, I didn't write that ....
Sorry to say this.

I didn't have the time to joke around. When I meant it. I meant it.

I am dead serious.

Currently, there are no detections for this FinFisher spyware for Mac, Windows.

This is something which I have to highlight and take note to everyone in the forum.

And this is a serious matter not to be taken lightly.

https://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002114.html

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/11/...r-trojan-hole/

Exploits and Vulnerability are a different thing altogether!

Every OS have exploits and vulnerability.

Those links are real, fact findings! None of these are hype!

Many Security Experts are dealing with these things everyday.

I do talk to some of them (the security experts) myself and they know about these problems.

And they do say to me that these things are for real.

No gimmick or hoaxes what so ever.

I didn't have time to troll.

I didn't blame you for this. Well at least you did help one another to solve the guy problem.

Let's help him to get things solved.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
What does that have to do with "VIRUSES"? Come on, why not tell us why you are really here? Your behaviour is that of a troll. And a bad one at that. Linking to one article after the other, none of them having anything to do with PROPER viruses, doesn't get you that far.

But then again, mods are sleeping, thus you need to exploit that window. Ups, I didn't write that ....
Dude, Everyone who posted here have different opinions.

And I respected that fully!
betatest is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:03 AM   #16
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
I would say, that they are not viruses, but trojans exploiting a vulnerability in Java to infect Macs. While it seems like a virus-like infection, it actually is not, as there is no spreading from one infected Mac to the other (one of the marks of a proper virus).

Do you actually care about knowledge or are your here to spout out ignorance and linking to half-assly researched articles?
Knowledge is power my friend! I will not forbid that. Everyone have the right to gain knowledge.

Go and see the video to enlighten your knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxfdFeEoxuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf3zxHuSM2Y

http://www.ted.com/talks/mikko_hyppo...ne_attack.html
betatest is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:09 AM   #17
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by betatest View Post
Knowledge is power my friend! I will not forbid that. Everyone have the right to gain knowledge.

Go and see the video to enlighten your knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxfdFeEoxuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf3zxHuSM2Y

http://www.ted.com/talks/mikko_hyppo...ne_attack.html
And? I never said, Mac OS X is invulnerable, as it is vulnerable evident by trojans and other malware and the recent Flashback trojan, I only said, that there are no actual viruses affecting Mac OS X at the current time.
If that does not go into your head, fine, I have seen that many times.
But your replies linking to one article after the other and then those videos does make you seem like a conspiracy nut job. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't, I don't care, but you could have kept it confined to YOUR thread and it didn't need to spread into another thread.

Then again, you seem not actually care about solving your Mac problem, if there is one, and you don't seem to care about knowing facts.

I have better things to do, then to respond to the ********* you are posting, like feeding the spinach cat, who actually exists.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:24 AM   #18
AdaS
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
As you can see, it is just a hoax, just look at the date of the comments. But I guess those dates will change soon.

And who announces a keylogger like this? Idiots?


To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:
Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
no, the date will never change.
Still, Thanks for your tips about protecting a mac. I am a green hand to Mac OS actually.
__________________

Last edited by AdaS; May 18, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
AdaS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:36 AM   #19
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
And? I never said, Mac OS X is invulnerable, as it is vulnerable evident by trojans and other malware and the recent Flashback trojan, I only said, that there are no actual viruses affecting Mac OS X at the current time.
If that does not go into your head, fine, I have seen that many times.
But your replies linking to one article after the other and then those videos does make you seem like a conspiracy nut job. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't, I don't care, but you could have kept it confined to YOUR thread and it didn't need to spread into another thread.

Then again, you seem not actually care about solving your Mac problem, if there is one, and you don't seem to care about knowing facts.

I have better things to do, then to respond to the ********* you are posting, like feeding the spinach cat, who actually exists.
The thing is you didn't care to read and look at the videos!

So READ!

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2555...ty_advice.html

Apple is Asking Kaspersky for Security Advice

By Jared Newman, PCWorld May 14, 2012 1:16 PM

Editor's Note: Kaspersky has denied that Apple has requested its help to improve the security of Mac OS X. The security company has offered up the following statement from Nikolay Grebennikov:

"As Mac OS X market share continues to increase, we expect cyber-criminals to continue to develop new types of malware and attack methods. In order to meet these new threats, Kaspersky Lab has been conducting an in-depth analysis of Mac OS X vulnerabilities and new forms of malware.

This security analysis of Mac OS X was conducted independently of Apple; however, Apple is open to collaborating with us regarding new Mac OS X vulnerabilities and malware that we identify during our analysis.

Kaspersky Lab is committed to providing the highest level of security for all of our customers, including Mac OS X, and we will continue to enhance our technologies in order to meet the ever-changing threat landscape."

Apple, whose Mac OS was once known for its rock-solid security, is seeking outside help to root out vulnerabilities

Kaspersky CTO Nikolay Grebennikov told U.K. publication Computing that Apple has invited the security vendor to help improve Mac OS security.

"We've begun an analysis of its vulnerabilities, and the malware targeting it," Grebennikov said.

Grebennikov added that the Mac OS is "really vulnerable" to malware, and that Apple "doesn't pay enough attention to security." A recent study from Trend Micro showed that Apple reported more vulnerabilities than any other tech vendor in the first three months of 2012.

A bit of fear-mongering is expected from companies who are in the business of selling anti-virus software. (See also: Routine freak outs about Android malware.) Still, there are signs that the Mac OS isn't the airtight platform that Apple once made it out to be.

The biggest ding to Apple's reputation came thanks to Flashback, a strain of malware that was able to infect Macs when users visited compromised Websites. Flashback infected roughly 600,000 Macs according to security experts, making it the largest case of Mac malware to date. Apple has since patched the underlying Java vulnerability and issued a removal tool, but the company took flak from security experts for taking two months to deliver a fix after Oracle discovered the problem in Java.

Kaspersky has been a major critic of Apple's security policies. Last month, founder and CEO Eugene Kaspersky told CBR that Apple was "10 years behind Microsoft in terms of security." The company has slammed Apple for being slow to address vulnerabilities and has called on the company to change its update cycle for patches.

Whether that will happen is still unclear, but at least Apple appears to be listening now.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
And? I never said, Mac OS X is invulnerable, as it is vulnerable evident by trojans and other malware and the recent Flashback trojan, I only said, that there are no actual viruses affecting Mac OS X at the current time.
If that does not go into your head, fine, I have seen that many times.
But your replies linking to one article after the other and then those videos does make you seem like a conspiracy nut job. Maybe you are, maybe you aren't, I don't care, but you could have kept it confined to YOUR thread and it didn't need to spread into another thread.

Then again, you seem not actually care about solving your Mac problem, if there is one, and you don't seem to care about knowing facts.

I have better things to do, then to respond to the ********* you are posting, like feeding the spinach cat, who actually exists.
The problem is, for the sake of blaming others.

You didn't want to read to find out and watch the link videos.

Well if you didn't want to know about them so be it!

If that what you asked for.

Is this the way you gain knowledge by ignoring someone else reports?

When you do get a virus who do you turn to?

I remember that my boss said to me. "Every customer that I come across didn't care to read the manuals!" "They just buy those things and expect to spoon feeding. They want everything to be instant!"
"They don't care to read to find out and get the answers!" "If you don't read, how are you going to get the answer right?" "They starts to clicking around the mouse all over the desktop screen not knowing what to do. They expected us, to do the thing for them. When you go to their house they expect you to install everything! Every-Thing that they have. They don't even know how to install programs! They want an answer and a solutions, ask them to learn the hard way. They is no easy way out to get things done if you don't read! If you have eyes to see, READ. If you have a ear, they Don't listen to what others said." "And so they starts to blame everyone else in the retail store. Including the technical support guys and sales teams. And including me." "Those people are so lazy to Read! Aren't they go to school to get a degree?!" "Tell the tech support guys not to spoon feed them, let them learn the hard way." "Well everyone learn thru trial and error." "Well you have to fall in order to walk right?" "That's call learning!" "Aren't these people learning something when they buy a computer?" "They are afraid to try. They are afraid of computers!"

LOL!

Last edited by betatest; May 18, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
betatest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:37 AM   #20
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by betatest View Post
The thing is you didn't care to read and look at the videos!

So READ!

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2555...ty_advice.html

Apple is Asking Kaspersky for Security Advice

By Jared Newman, PCWorld May 14, 2012 1:16 PM

Editor's Note: Kaspersky has denied that Apple has requested its help to improve the security of Mac OS X. The security company has offered up the following statement from Nikolay Grebennikov:
I read that, though from other sources.
What does it tell me?
You are not interested in a discussion with arguments, you just link and link and link. Your agenda is hidden.
And I do seem to care, maybe because I have still hope for humans, but every day they prove to be dumber than dumb. And you are not an exception.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 02:05 AM   #21
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
I read that, though from other sources.
What does it tell me?
You are not interested in a discussion with arguments, you just link and link and link. Your agenda is hidden.
And I do seem to care, maybe because I have still hope for humans, but every day they prove to be dumber than dumb. And you are not an exception.
Well there was a saying "If you go to school, even the teacher READs! If you can't read, you cannot write."

You didn't want to see the links. That's fine.

Did not want to face the facts that are true. Ignore when you think is rubbish!

What I am telling Dexter 25 that Mac viruses do exists, and you have to read the links to find out. They are too many things to list in this forum with limited space.

Who knows you are infected with one of those viruses/malware/spyware.

Sounds like the guy from Mac Most.

Last edited by betatest; May 18, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
betatest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 02:22 AM   #22
simsaladimbamba
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by betatest View Post
Well there was a saying "If you go to school, even the teacher READs! If you can't read, you cannot write."

You didn't want to see the links. That's fine.
I saw the links, and I even read some of them.

Quote:
Did not want to face the facts that are true. Ignore when you think is rubbish!
What makes you think they are true?

Quote:
What I am telling Dexter 25 that Mac viruses do exists, and you have to read the links to find out. They are too many things to list in this forum with limited space.
There are no actual viruses, but you don't seem to listen or care what a virus actually is. A virus can infect a Mac by almost nil user interaction (opening a link suffices, thus the Flashback trojans get called "viruses") and a virus has to spread to other computers from an infected computer (something the Flashback trojan did not do, thus it is not a virus).

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 4, 2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Removed insult
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 02:25 AM   #23
betatest
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
I saw the links, and I even read some of them.


What makes you think they are true?


There are no actual viruses, but you don't seem to listen or care what a virus actually is. A virus can infect a Mac by almost nil user interaction (opening a link suffices, thus the Flashback trojans get called "viruses") and a virus has to spread to other computers from an infected computer (something the Flashback trojan did not do, thus it is not a virus).


I am not infected with any kind of malware, but I employ common sense and safe computing steps.
Well you posted a link that are helpful in some ways.

Dexter25, my advice to you is to read and watch the video you will learn something.

From there you will know what I'm talking about.

I cannot explain everything here due to space constrains.

I did remember that Apple recommend to install an AntiVirus software.

If Apple did not recommend that, why there is Xprotect implementation from Apple in the first place?

Having Xprotect in your Mac OS X is not enough to protect your computer.

Even the next release of 10.8 with GateKeeper feature is still not enough to protect your computer.

Here is an excerpt from one of Apple Support KnowledgeBase HT2128#

It says in written sentences "It is also advisable to use antivirus software to scan any files before installation. A selection of third-party products may be found at the Macintosh Products Guide."

Frankly even Linux do have viruses. Even in Solaris, HPUX, BSD system can get infected. Don't ever think that Mac are a superior OS (like superior beings) in the world.

Trust me on this one, If I were to let the Antivirus Security Guys to read this post, they would agree with me totally.

The AntiVirus Security Expert will laughs at the person who thinks that there is no malware for Mac OS X.
(These people are experience in this field and knows better than any one of us!)

If you go and read those blogs from AntiViruses companies none of the blogs are hype or conspiracy theory! As these are real. Far more real than you think.

A stuxnet virus can control the power grid. (These things are real and it is not a conspiracy theory. It has been documented in 60 Minutes!)

Don't be surprise that Cyber gang criminals are developing more malwares for the Mac OS X. (Mark my word for it)

Don't ever think that the Apple Apps Store is a safe heaven for downloading apps.

There are bogus apps in the Apple Apps Store too.

As a Mac fan, I always comes across people do like to say or boasts that MAC OS X is superior! That's is a crap and I don't totally agree with that! I don't like to look down on others. There are people who says that Apple is superior. No doubt that inside you still use a PC base CPU. Apple is like any other PC in the market. What is only different is the OS.

In Canada, there are hacking competition to hack the Mac OS X, Linux and Windows. Did you know that one of the former NSA who is a Computer Security Expert, can hack a mac in 2 minutes! And he wins the prize!

Did you know that Mac come from variant of BSD.(It's not Linux,Mac is not Linux, but BSD Variant) Mac did not built Mac OS X from Scratch! They have been using BSD since before or the begining of NeXT computer era.

And that is a fact!


Quote:- "Even a blind person can see better picture than those who are not blind."

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 4, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clean up
betatest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:25 PM   #24
mookiemu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post

There are no actual viruses, but you don't seem to listen or care what a virus actually is. A virus can infect a Mac by almost nil user interaction (opening a link suffices, thus the Flashback trojans get called "viruses") and a virus has to spread to other computers from an infected computer (something the Flashback trojan did not do, thus it is not a virus).
Who cares if he got the definition of Virus technically wrong. Apples do get malware and they can get hijacked. You only have to look at the Pwn2Own competitions every year to see how easily OSX gets taken over and how easily the competitors get access to fully patched Apple macs. Year after year, Apple is the first to fall.
The original poster wasn't concerned about viruses, he was concerned about key-loggers. I recently removed keylogging software from a friend's Mac. She had all her email accounts hijacked and the hijackers took over her acount a second time, even after we had changed her emails to 16 character multiword passwords. I suspected a keylogger and I found one running the 'top' command from the terminal and then pecking away at the keyboard. ps -aux helped as well. Another poster mentioned using cron -l. I will have to try that next time.
I don't know how she got that key-logger on her computer, maybe she thought she was installing an update or something or got tricked into inputting her password. I do know, from following the pwn2own competition for years, that it is possible to take over a mac, gain administrator access to it and to remotely run an application on it without user intervention.
You mentioned that third party apps cause the weaknesses in OSX. Who cares if it's the third party apps, like "Flash" or "Quicktime", that make OSX more vulnerable? The fact is they do and these programs are necessary for today's computing world.
Who knows if there really are or aren't "viruses" for the mac. I know that due to OSX's unix style permissions, it's very difficult for a mac to get a virus. But please don't say it isn't possible. Apple has benefitted in a large way from security through obscurity. Let's see what happens if Apple ever becomes the dominant platform. That being said, I applaud Apple's latest steps for better security, that they've taken with Mountain Lion.

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 4, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote from post
mookiemu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:10 PM   #25
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemu View Post
snip
Please pay attention to the date of the last post before posting in a thread. You bumped this year old thread without adding anything worthwhile to the discussion.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General questions about a new laptop lightning33 MacBook Pro 16 Aug 14, 2014 03:33 PM
iPhone: General JB Questions xybadog Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Apr 9, 2013 08:01 PM
ATV general questions browerjs Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Dec 19, 2012 02:21 PM
General App Questions dogthateats iPad Apps 1 Aug 2, 2012 12:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC