Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816
 
boy-better-know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: England
Wii U, will you?

Uni revision is slowly killing me, so I thought I would take a break and look at some gaming sites and came across the news that the Wii U tablet controller is having proper analogue nubs (Woo Hoo). Rather than the 3DS slider things. Not that it is massive news or anything but it spurred me on to look back at E3 2011 and some of the Wii U demos. Didn't really care before, I was hooked on the Vita coverage last year, but now I think I want one though I suspect it will be severely lacking in specs compared to PS4/neXtbox.

I think it's my inner 10 year old thinking about playing HD Mario. We normally have a good debate on here so what do you all think about the limited info we have already?
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Wardenski
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I don't care about the hardware really, I want to see some games!

Until I here some definite information on games, then I could not care less about the Wii U.
Wardenski is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Mr.C
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London, UK.
Well personally I always get really excited for any new console release and the Wii U is no exception. I'm really excited for E3 and it can't come soon enough. This may be Nintendo's best E3 press conference in a long time and after the embarrassment of their Wii U reveal last year I have high hopes for them. Hopefully most if not all of the rumours that have recently surfaced have truth in them. All I know is that I will be buying the Wii U on day one and have faith that Nintendo will deliver.
__________________
2011 Mac Mini i7 2.7GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD|MacBook Air 13" 1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 80GB HD|iPad Air 2 128GB Wi-Fi+Cellular White/Silver|iPhone 6 Plus 128GB White/Silver
Mr.C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Darkplace Hospital
I've found Nintendo products to be getting more uncomfortable to hold ever generation. Today I played Smash Bros Brawl with a GC controller for around 3 hours and not once did the controls ever get in the way or did I become concious of it. I find the Wii to be uncomfy for long plays and the 3DS has an awful dpad and circle pad. My only worry is the WiiU will also be a pain to hold. I'll have a play at E3.

But yeah I'll get one. It'll be the only place to get new Mario, both 2D and 3D, new Zelda, new Metroids, Smash Bros etc.
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 03:37 PM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
I've found Nintendo products to be getting more uncomfortable to hold ever generation. Today I played Smash Bros Brawl with a GC controller for around 3 hours and not once did the controls ever get in the way or did I become concious of it. I find the Wii to be uncomfy for long plays and the 3DS has an awful dpad and circle pad. My only worry is the WiiU will also be a pain to hold. I'll have a play at E3.

But yeah I'll get one. It'll be the only place to get new Mario, both 2D and 3D, new Zelda, new Metroids, Smash Bros etc.
Yes, I agree with you too. And te more peripheral crap for the controllers just make them more uncomfortable.

3DS clear demonstration of bad control design is evident in the fact that games like Kid Icarus have to use a stand to stop you getting RSI injurys is clear evidence. Likewise the terrible control pad pro which off centres the screen in your control so you have to compensate by holding the unit more to the right, leading to further strain. And don't get me started on Nubs and weeeeshie buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
Uni revision is slowly killing me, so I thought I would take a break and look at some gaming sites and came across the news that the Wii U tablet controller is having proper analogue nubs (Woo Hoo). Rather than the 3DS slider things. Not that it is massive news or anything but it spurred me on to look back at E3 2011 and some of the Wii U demos. Didn't really care before, I was hooked on the Vita coverage last year, but now I think I want one though I suspect it will be severely lacking in specs compared to PS4/neXtbox.

I think it's my inner 10 year old thinking about playing HD Mario. We normally have a good debate on here so what do you all think about the limited info we have already?
yes I'll be getting one but with reservations. I play my cube/Q still (replaying wind-waker at moment) 10 years on, the Wii mostly gathers dust. Hate motion controller, hate that games don't accommodate left handed users.

I bought Twilight Princess on the Wii, and ended up unable to play it comfortably, so went out and bought the GameCube version. Just the difference a controller makes to the experience is massive.

Im not sold on the Wii U, I'm not even sure if it will be a success given the likely 6-12 months difference before the PS4 or Next Xbox will be out with much better according to reports specifications. Yet I buy every new console so yep I'll be there on launch day regardless...
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 03:43 PM   #6
boy-better-know
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
boy-better-know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardenski View Post

Until I here some definite information on games, then I could not care less about the Wii U.
I agree, but that zelda demo (which Nintendo have refused to confirm or deny if it is an upcoming title) they showed looked really sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Well personally I always get really excited for any new console release and the Wii U is no exception. I'm really excited for E3 and it can't come soon enough. This may be Nintendo's best E3 press conference in a long time and after the embarrassment of their Wii U reveal last year I have high hopes for them. Hopefully most if not all of the rumours that have recently surfaced have truth in them. All I know is that I will be buying the Wii U on day one and have faith that Nintendo will deliver.
Whilst I am similar and always get swept up in new console craziness, I was sorely stung by the 3DS launch and underwhelmed by the Vita thus far. I may make a new rule for myself - 4 launch games that I honestly want to play or don't buy. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
I've found Nintendo products to be getting more uncomfortable to hold ever generation. Today I played Smash Bros Brawl with a GC controller for around 3 hours and not once did the controls ever get in the way or did I become concious of it. I find the Wii to be uncomfy for long plays and the 3DS has an awful dpad and circle pad. My only worry is the WiiU will also be a pain to hold. I'll have a play at E3.

But yeah I'll get one. It'll be the only place to get new Mario, both 2D and 3D, new Zelda, new Metroids, Smash Bros etc.
The controller does look incredibly uncomfortable, not something you can really get your hands around. Would like to feel the weight too, it needs to be light. For example, going from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3, it has become uncomfortable holding it with one hand (maybe because I'm not that strong).
Wow, so you're going to E3, you will have to report back here! Enjoy.
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Darkplace Hospital
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
The controller does look incredibly uncomfortable, not something you can really get your hands around. Would like to feel the weight too, it needs to be light. For example, going from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3, it has become uncomfortable holding it with one hand (maybe because I'm not that strong).
Wow, so you're going to E3, you will have to report back here! Enjoy.
It's very light apparently. But it would be. All it is is a screen, controller (probably no rumble) wireless dohickeys and a battery. An iPad has to house a much more complex motherboard, GPU and CPU, bigger battery etc.

I've heard it's good to hold. But even if it was awful I'd still get one just because it's where most of my favourite gaming series will be going.
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 05:08 AM   #8
boy-better-know
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
boy-better-know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
It's very light apparently. But it would be. All it is is a screen, controller (probably no rumble) wireless dohickeys and a battery. An iPad has to house a much more complex motherboard, GPU and CPU, bigger battery etc.

I've heard it's good to hold. But even if it was awful I'd still get one just because it's where most of my favourite gaming series will be going.
Very true, looking further into it I am reading people saying that it is surprisingly comfortable.

One issue I must pick with the Wii U is the actual console itself. Considering this is an Apple discussion site, I presume that we all appreciate good product design. The Wii U box, to me, looks horrible. Like a small room de-humidifier or something. In fact, I was so confused watching the E3 conference, I was unsure if it was a new console or just a new controller. They really are not pushing the box which is understandable (given the special nature of the controller). But I love a good old fashioned industrially designed box. I hope they re-design it into something I would want to display next to my TV.
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 05:48 AM   #9
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Darkplace Hospital
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
Very true, looking further into it I am reading people saying that it is surprisingly comfortable.

One issue I must pick with the Wii U is the actual console itself. Considering this is an Apple discussion site, I presume that we all appreciate good product design. The Wii U box, to me, looks horrible. Like a small room de-humidifier or something. In fact, I was so confused watching the E3 conference, I was unsure if it was a new console or just a new controller. They really are not pushing the box which is understandable (given the special nature of the controller). But I love a good old fashioned industrially designed box. I hope they re-design it into something I would want to display next to my TV.
Yet we live in a world with this.
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 05:55 AM   #10
boy-better-know
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
boy-better-know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Yet we live in a world with this.
Image
Haha, I'm going to disagree with you here. I absolutely love my fat PS3 (with chrome not plastic). Absolute beast. It looks really well built and back in 2006 I thought it had come from the future. Also, the Game Cube was great, because it looked fun, everytime I looked at it I wanted to turn it on. Each to their own.
boy-better-know is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 06:21 AM   #11
Dagless
macrumors Core
 
Dagless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Darkplace Hospital
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
the Game Cube was great, because it looked fun, everytime I looked at it I wanted to turn it on. Each to their own.
Sounds like a case of Objectophilia, as you say, to each their own .
__________________
Maybe if everyone who'd ever been close to you had died, you'd be sarcastic, too.
Macrumors Steam Group
Dagless is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 08:43 PM   #12
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
Also, the Game Cube was great, because it looked fun, everytime I looked at it I wanted to turn it on. Each to their own.


Sexiest console ever made
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 09:07 PM   #13
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
I'm excited for the Wii U, although I'm fully expecting that only the first party games will really wow me. I hope I am wrong though.
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Carlanga
macrumors 603
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
I will not Wii U, will stay w/ my PS3 & vanilla Wii.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 05:06 AM   #15
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Not planning on it. My Super Nintendo still fulfills my occasional Mario and Zelda needs, and it does so without any waggely gimmicks.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 09:32 AM   #16
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020
 
e˛Studios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Considering in my house the Wii is nothing but a glorified dust collector, no, I won't be buying a Wii U. It's nice to see Nintendo finally caught up to 2006 graphics wise though

I highly doubt the mass that bought the Wii will buy the Wii U, it'll be interesting to see how Nintendo copes with it.

I'll likely get the next PS since my PS3 has served me so well. It's a great addition to my home theater with blu-ray, DLNA, and Netflix/Amazon VOD/many varieties of streaming options as well as a being great gaming console.
__________________
"Shine Get!"
e˛Studios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 10:13 AM   #17
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRumorUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ireland
They do have an uphill battle.

^ True. I know dozens of people who picked up the Wii and Wii Sports and played it over xmas one year - only to gather dust the remaining. These are not gamers - but folks normally not interested in gaming. But whilst Nintendo sold them on Wii Sports and maybe Wii Fit, they didn't purchase any follow up software and after the initial usage the Wii became much like a Sandwich Toaster.

Those are the folks that made the big sales on the Wii, and they are the ones that have subsequently stopped, and I don't see Nintendo being able to sell them another Wii this time around.

It seems this is why then the 'hardcore' gamer who Nintendo let slip with Wii, are now starting to be referenced with the Wii U. But most of those folks now have PS3's or 360's and if the Wii can only equal or slightly better what they currently have on a technical level, I likewise can't see them getting these to invest another $300-350 on a new machine, when they still have memories of being burned by the Wii and it's shovel ware collection.



I won't rule them out of the game this early though, I think its clear Nintendo certainly know how to market their stuff (even if it's no longer a market that is relevant to the avid gamer) and if E3 provides enough tantalizing games they could beat the odds and succeed in coming up with a successful successor.
__________________
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
MacRumor:User
Microsoft MVP : Macintosh
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 10:50 AM   #18
DocNYz
macrumors 6502a
 
DocNYz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
^ True. I know dozens of people who picked up the Wii and Wii Sports and played it over xmas one year - only to gather dust the remaining. These are not gamers - but folks normally not interested in gaming. But whilst Nintendo sold them on Wii Sports and maybe Wii Fit, they didn't purchase any follow up software and after the initial usage the Wii became much like a Sandwich Toaster.

Those are the folks that made the big sales on the Wii, and they are the ones that have subsequently stopped, and I don't see Nintendo being able to sell them another Wii this time around.

It seems this is why then the 'hardcore' gamer who Nintendo let slip with Wii, are now starting to be referenced with the Wii U. But most of those folks now have PS3's or 360's and if the Wii can only equal or slightly better what they currently have on a technical level, I likewise can't see them getting these to invest another $300-350 on a new machine, when they still have memories of being burned by the Wii and it's shovel ware collection.



I won't rule them out of the game this early though, I think its clear Nintendo certainly know how to market their stuff (even if it's no longer a market that is relevant to the avid gamer) and if E3 provides enough tantalizing games they could beat the odds and succeed in coming up with a successful successor.
Yeah I agree with most of this. What made the Wii so successful was that anyone, especially old women in nursing homes, could pick up the Wiimote and point at a screen and do a motion with their hands without memorizing that many buttons. With Kinect there are zero buttons and it's just your body. With U it's a huge controller and screen and it takes away what made the Wii what it was, ease of use to make up for pathetic graphics. I agree the holiday/family focused Wii bowling sessions won't occur on the U, so I'll be curious to see who buys it, and I can't wait for the first two weeks of June.
__________________
Spoiler Free since 2007 11" MBA 2GHz i7 8GB RAM, 17" MBP 2.66GHz i7 SSD + 1TB HDD Antiglare 8GB RAM, 2.8GHz C2D 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, Dual 2.3GHz G5 Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.
DocNYz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 11:14 AM   #19
chrono1081
macrumors 604
 
chrono1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Isla Nublar
If Wii U lets me play Earthbound on Virtual Console I'll have it in a heartbeat!
__________________
Mac Pro (2010): 3.33Ghz Intel Xeon (6 core) - 24 GB RAM - NVidia Quadro k5000
Macbook Air (2010): 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM
chrono1081 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 09:21 AM   #20
boy-better-know
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
boy-better-know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: England
The thing that sold the Wii to the masses and not the hardcores was the motion control. A gimmick imho that people thought was revolutionary. I think that depending completely on the price, the Wii U will again appeal to the masses because of the screen in the controler. Which I am yet to decide if it is a pointless gimmick or a huge leap in gaming. I want to see a game at E3 where the screen really really adds something.
I really hope there is.
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 08:46 PM   #21
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God
 
LethalWolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
The thing that sold the Wii to the masses and not the hardcores was the motion control. A gimmick imho that people thought was revolutionary.
I feel like gimmick is too strong a word because there are certainly instances where motion controls are a lot of fun and can provide experiences that traditional input methods cannot. They are better for niche uses though. A controller or KB/M are much better at interfacing w/a wide variety of games.


Lethal
__________________
Looking For Lenny - documentary about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy & Free Speech.
Netflix, iTunes, Amazon, Hulu
LethalWolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 05:07 AM   #22
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 68000
 
T'hain Esh Kelch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Denmark
Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I won't Wii U (Me). The amount of absolutely awful games released for the Wii with absolutely no quality control from Nintendos side, coupled with the majority of the games having wiggle controls for absolutely no reason that just lowered the enjoyment of playing, and how awful Nintendo blew the online side of the Wii, made my decision.

I would like to play more Zelda, but I don't think it is worth it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
I agree, but that zelda demo (which Nintendo have refused to confirm or deny if it is an upcoming title) they showed looked really sweet.
They have stated a gazillion times that it was just a tech demo.
__________________
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
T'hain Esh Kelch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 10:22 AM   #23
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020
 
e˛Studios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
The amount of absolutely awful games released for the Wii with absolutely no quality control from Nintendos side
This sums it up rather well

__________________
"Shine Get!"
e˛Studios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I am not going to be getting the Wii U either. Like everyone here is saying, the games are just not worth it. We buy one like every month, play some of it, then it never gets picked up again.

The funny thing is that the Gamecube games get played more on the Wii than the actual Wii games at our house.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 12:33 PM   #25
Mac-Rumours
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
^ True. I know dozens of people who picked up the Wii and Wii Sports and played it over xmas one year - only to gather dust the remaining. These are not gamers - but folks normally not interested in gaming. But whilst Nintendo sold them on Wii Sports and maybe Wii Fit, they didn't purchase any follow up software and after the initial usage the Wii became much like a Sandwich Toaster.
Sandwich Toaster clip from Spaced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYvPzTYd3Mo

Mac-Rumours is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a way for me to connect a Wii (original Wii) to an iMac Nerdy Keith iMac 3 Jan 3, 2013 09:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC