Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:50 AM   #101
SprSynJn

Maybe it's my age, or that I've been using a Sony console for a long time now, but Nintendo's latest doesn't really interest me at all. It's the least I've ever been interested in their showings actually. I was very close to buying a Wii, after buying every single one of their consoles since the beginning, but never did. I think my gaming style has changed, and is more "hardcore" now I suppose. Maybe it's that the PlayStation 3 does much more than play games, I'm not sure. The Wii U still looks more geared towards the casual audience though, which is not a bad thing at all. It's just not for me anymore. So, no I will not be getting one. I will admit however, I miss their characters something awful.
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:20 AM   #102
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
I'm tired of pointless wiimote waggling, lack of a proper online environment and lack of current day graphics.

I won't be getting a WiiU unless Super Mario U and Zelda U are absolutely amazing.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:50 AM   #103
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

I still enjoy me some Mario and Zelda, but I do that on my Super Nintendo.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:22 PM   #104
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Sick of 2D Mario... That's gaming blasphemy
lol... can't help it though. Been playing these games since I was 6

But I admire Nintendo a lot though and want them to succeed. To me they're up there with Google and Apple in terms of innovation
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:33 PM   #105
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
For me, I'm not excited by any new system as much as I used to, anymore. Be it the WiiU, PS4 or XB3.

I don't have as much time for games as I used to and have never had such a backlog of games, ever in my life. That's probably why my interest in next gen systems is lower, this time around.

In terms of the WiiU, it excites me no more or less than previous systems. I will buy a Nintendo console at launch, no matter what. I'll buy the PS4, eventually...but not at launch. The XB3 will probably be the one that I'll skip. The WiiU launch window lineup looks amazing...so, I'm excited for that.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:18 PM   #106
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
For me, I'm not excited by any new system as much as I used to, anymore. Be it the WiiU, PS4 or XB3.

I don't have as much time for games as I used to and have never had such a backlog of games, ever in my life. That's probably why my interest in next gen systems is lower, this time around.

In terms of the WiiU, it excites me no more or less than previous systems. I will buy a Nintendo console at launch, no matter what. I'll buy the PS4, eventually...but not at launch. The XB3 will probably be the one that I'll skip. The WiiU launch window lineup looks amazing...so, I'm excited for that.

Yeah same story fr me. It's called getting old

I'll prob skip XB3 myself unless Rare come out with a Banjo, Kameo or Viva Piņata game and then I'd be tempted.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:55 AM   #107
Miharu
macrumors 6502

Yeah I have a huge backlog of unplayed/unfinished games too! Sometimes I wish I could hire someone to play them for me Or maybe I should just watch the games from youtube...
Miharu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:12 AM   #108
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Yeah same story fr me. It's called getting old

I'll prob skip XB3 myself unless Rare come out with a Banjo, Kameo or Viva Piņata game and then I'd be tempted.
I'm skipping the next Xbox because I'm not interested in any of Microsofts current IPs. And now I like to stick to Sony because of their cross-buy incentive.

As for backlogs of games. Mines just daft now! What I really want to see is games with an autoplay feature... or some way of seeing key moments in gameplay with all the cutscenes. I'm probably never going to finish FFXIII. The gameplay is getting dull at this point and I've got a load of things to do that I don't want to. Let me watch the rest of the story so I can start on XIII-2.
(not for all games)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:15 AM   #109
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Has anyone actually preordered the Wii U yet?

I was gonna preorder a deluxe yesterday and found out all preorders are sold out. That was pretty quick.

On the plus side, if you own Nintendo stock, it just broke $16 this week
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:43 PM   #110
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Yup, debated on whether or not to cancel it and wait for a more lucrative deal closer to launch. But given that US preorders are selling out I really don't want to completely miss out on the launch.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:49 PM   #111
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

I was gonna preorder a deluxe yesterday and found out all preorders are sold out. That was pretty quick.

Yep.i pre-ordered premium and 6 extra games...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Yup, debated on whether or not to cancel it and wait for a more lucrative deal closer to launch. But given that US preorders are selling out I really don't want to completely miss out on the launch.
jimmy I just download Rayman Run on iPad. It's totally fab, you will love it off topic I know, but still
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:55 PM   #112
jlyanks85
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I was debating whether I should or not, but considering how much demand the Wii had when it first launched, I figured I might as well. So I preordered the deluxe since that is the better value over the basic.

Deluxe is sold out of pre-orders pretty much everywhere now.
jlyanks85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:17 PM   #113
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
jimmy I just download Rayman Run on iPad. It's totally fab, you will love it off topic I know, but still
Cheers for the heads up, saw the launch trailer but forgot about the release date.

I played a bit of Rayman Legends at E3 (and got to try out the pro controller). The new "chase" levels are incredible. Since the level is synced to the music I had to wear headphones. Turned the volume to max and my skin just tingled.
Still not sold on the async gameplay with the tablet, mind you. I don't think that bit is aimed at our crowd really.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:05 PM   #114
rezenclowd3
macrumors 6502a

Location: Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber at the track.
To answer the OP, no. Not interested at all. I was disappointed with much of the Gamecube offerings, and too much of the Wii was silly.

Also, with (it seems) just about every game coming out for all 3 (even sometimes PC) I have very little reason to pick up this.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:08 PM   #115
Antares
macrumors 68000

Location: Somewhere in the Milky Way....a little place called Chicago
I was stupidly waiting for amazon and shoudd have preordered somewhere else since Amazon is not doing pre-orders due to issues they have with Nintendo. Now, the pre-orders seem to be sold out everywhere. Is there anythign I can do or anywhere else I can check?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:01 AM   #116
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Just as a heads up on places having a lack of preorders. I can tell you, the Gamestop I do part time at, we only had 32 Wii-U's (20 Standard, 12 Deluxe) available for preorder. Talking to other employees from around the state on Facebook, most stores only had about 20 (ours got more because we're a larger volume of sales in the state).

Not sure what Nintendo's plan is here, but yeah, what's all the info I have.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:47 AM   #117
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
Just as a heads up on places having a lack of preorders. I can tell you, the Gamestop I do part time at, we only had 32 Wii-U's (20 Standard, 12 Deluxe) available for preorder. Talking to other employees from around the state on Facebook, most stores only had about 20 (ours got more because we're a larger volume of sales in the state).

Not sure what Nintendo's plan is here, but yeah, what's all the info I have.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're creating artificial shortages again. They've been doing that since the original NES

At the same time, they've got 2 months left until release. They'd be foolish not to get one more round of presales in. The hype will die down without it.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:04 PM   #118
Barukuri
macrumors newbie

Not this time for me. I have plenty of consoles and game backlog so I'll wait this one out.
Barukuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:10 PM   #119
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Wii is only used for Wii Fit and Animal Crossing now so probably not.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:34 PM   #120
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they're creating artificial shortages again. They've been doing that since the original NES

At the same time, they've got 2 months left until release. They'd be foolish not to get one more round of presales in. The hype will die down without it.
And they got until E3 probably, to sell as many consoles as possible, so hype is good for them..
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:43 AM   #121
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Seems the ambiguity over the power of the wii u boils down to this.

Slightly better GPU than the 360 or PS3, coupled with 1GB of Ram should in theory produce better graphics BUT the CPU falls short of the Xbox 360 and PS3 meaning where it needs the grunt to drive that GPU it hasn't got the raw muscle.

So that's why we're not seeing 1080p 60fps.

Why did they go with IBM processor that was weaker than the now 7 year old Xbox 360???? I just can't get my head around that decision.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:19 PM   #122
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

I still haven't seen official specs of the CPU or GPU. It seems that both are "powerful enough" (i.e., equivalent to, or better than current XBox 360 & PS3 hardware), but nothing official.

I think Nintendo is being one part coy, and 9 parts true to their nature of emphasizing the user experience/game enjoyability, and not the fanboi specs & flame war side of things.

Also, I believe:

a. Nintendo has to turn a profit, or at least break even on the hardware. They can't sell at a loss, like Sony and Micro$oft can; they just don't have the resources, and

b. Nintendo is still planning on a 5-6 year life cycle for their hardware (though this may be subject to change, due to market forces and Sony and Micro$oft extending the life of their hardware...XBox is at year 7 already, and Sony isn't coming out with the PS4 until '14, so that is 8 years). So, their hardware has to be just "good enough" to get them over this hump, and we won't care.

The fact that Nintendo seems to be at pains to emphasize the adult offerings for the Wii U appears to show they have learned some lessons from the Wii and GameCube.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see the official specs at some point...
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:51 AM   #123
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 68000

WiiU is region locked.

Sigh.. Nintendo haven't learned a thing in this respect..
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:56 AM   #124
peskaa
macrumors 68020

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...with-slow-cpu/

CPU is weaker than the PS3 and 360, offset by a better GPU and more RAM. Can see why some titles are struggling to port well...
peskaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:50 AM   #125
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskaa View Post
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/0...with-slow-cpu/

CPU is weaker than the PS3 and 360, offset by a better GPU and more RAM. Can see why some titles are struggling to port well...

did I not post that ;-)

Quote:
Seems the ambiguity over the power of the wii u boils down to this.

Slightly better GPU than the 360 or PS3, coupled with 1GB of Ram should in theory produce better graphics BUT the CPU falls short of the Xbox 360 and PS3 meaning where it needs the grunt to drive that GPU it hasn't got the raw muscle.

So that's why we're not seeing 1080p 60fps.

Why did they go with IBM processor that was weaker than the now 7 year old Xbox 360???? I just can't get my head around that decision.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games