Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 12, 2005, 06:28 AM   #1
DaveinJapan
macrumors member

My Powerbook doesn't show up on my iMac

Hi all. I have a question about file sharing between my 2 computers. When I turn on the Powerbook, it recognizes my iMac and there is an "iMac HD" icon right there on my desktop. However, the iMac doesn't seem to find the Powerbook. Is this because the Powerbook ip address keeps changing? What should I do to make the iMac look for and recognize the other computer?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:23 AM   #2
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Hmmm. On the iMac go to your HD and click Network on the left. See if it's in there.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 07:07 PM   #3
DaveinJapan
macrumors member

No, it's not. I did know to look there, as that's where I've found the Powerbook before.

Is there any way to set it up so they just find each other and the icon comes up on the desktop (that would be ideal).
Old Jul 13, 2005, 07:24 AM   #4
DaveinJapan
macrumors member

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 07:24 PM   #5
gNYp
macrumors newbie

i preten u r running on same os version and network on ethernet with router. try this,
go to system pref. on your iMac >Network> configure build-in ethernet> tab on AppleTalk an check the box next to "Make AppleTalk Active"
try if its works.
if not, go to system pref. >Sharing> tab on services, check "personal file sharing" and "personal web sharing"
see if this help.
gNYp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:42 PM   #6
rickvanr
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to rickvanr Send a message via AIM to rickvanr Send a message via MSN to rickvanr Send a message via Yahoo to rickvanr
Long shot, but are both computers under your name? I've always had problems with ethernet when my computer's both have the same name. But then again, I've just always had problems with my macs always seeing each other. Are you using a wireless router?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs