Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveinJapan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Japan
Hi all. I have a question about file sharing between my 2 computers. When I turn on the Powerbook, it recognizes my iMac and there is an "iMac HD" icon right there on my desktop. However, the iMac doesn't seem to find the Powerbook. Is this because the Powerbook ip address keeps changing? What should I do to make the iMac look for and recognize the other computer?

Thanks in advance! :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Hmmm. On the iMac go to your HD and click Network on the left. See if it's in there.

DaveinJapan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Japan
No, it's not. I did know to look there, as that's where I've found the Powerbook before.

Is there any way to set it up so they just find each other and the icon comes up on the desktop (that would be ideal).

gNYp

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2003
i preten u r running on same os version and network on ethernet with router. try this,
go to system pref. on your iMac >Network> configure build-in ethernet> tab on AppleTalk an check the box next to "Make AppleTalk Active"
try if its works.
if not, go to system pref. >Sharing> tab on services, check "personal file sharing" and "personal web sharing"
see if this help.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Long shot, but are both computers under your name? I've always had problems with ethernet when my computer's both have the same name. But then again, I've just always had problems with my macs always seeing each other. Are you using a wireless router?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.