Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last month's announcement that Apple and Samsung had agreed to high-level talks involving the two companies' CEOs in an attempt to resolve ongoing patent litigation, Reuters provides a preview of the session set to begin today in San Francisco. The talks, which will be mediated by a federal judge, are scheduled to take place over the next two days.

apple_samsung_logos.jpg
Commenting before his departure to the United States for the talks, Samsung mobile division chief JK Shin noted that while significant differences between Apple and Samsung still exist, a number of "negotiation options" remain on the table.
"There is still a big gap in the patent war with Apple," JK Shin said, before departing for the United States for the mediation talks. "But we still have several negotiation options."

Court documents show the two companies have had at least one mediation session, although it is not clear if Cook and Choi were involved.
Legal experts are not optimistic that the two companies will reach a settlement, but with courts increasingly pushing companies to seek alternative dispute resolution processes in hopes of staving off drawn-out court battles, Apple and Samsung have agreed to participate in the talks.

Samsung is just one of Apple's main targets in its patent battles with Android-based hardware manufacturers. In another case, Apple succeeded in slowing U.S. imports of several HTC smartphones earlier this month, forcing the company to delay the launch of the Evo 4G LTE on Sprint although HTC has indicated that some shipments of some models are being released by U.S. Customs.

But while Apple's disputes with several Android device manufacturers center on functionality of the devices, the company's dispute with Samsung extends further to claims that Samsung has "chosen to slavishly copy" the design of Apple's products with its own line of Galaxy smartphones and tablets.

Article Link: Tim Cook and Samsung CEO Choi Gee-sung Meeting Today to Discuss Patent Issues

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
That's what people should do. Get the experience and talk. Not hiding behind egos and send the troops.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
The only reason that Samsung is the second most profitable company (when it comes to the mobile space) is because their strategy is to essentially copy what Apple is doing. A simple strategy, that has proven to be more successful than they could have ever imagined.

Will they just drop this now? No way.. The legal battles are just a cost of doing business..

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
The best thing that can happen with these two is to go their separate ways. Apple will see how much they need Samsung's quality class leading parts in the quantities only Samsung can supply. At the same time, Samsung will see how much they don't need Apple as others will fill the void no problem. Apple has already tried to leave Samsung, but have end up crawling back as Samsung knew they would. This is FACT.
There is no doubt Apple see Samsung as their biggest threat in the market.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Excellent! This is the best way to attempt to solve the issues. If it doesn't work, then continue legal action. One thing for sure, this would never happen if Steve was around.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Great move by Cook&co imo.

Also, very glad this isn't a thread where 'shut up and take my money' applies.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I hope this goes well. Both are potentially stronger from a good relationship, especially if it involves shared access to their combined patents. As long as the products are visually distinguished from each other. Samsung can do it, but they is not currently on some products. Samsung would be better off with it's own identity.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
They would do a lot better if they would just agree to cross-license their stuff and not have to pay so much attention to the legal stuff. Together they could wipe out the rest of the world, 1 device at a time.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The only reason that Samsung is the second most profitable company (when it comes to the mobile space) is because their strategy is to essentially copy what Apple is doing. A simple strategy, that has proven to be more successful than they could have ever imagined.

That was true a year or two ago, I think... and might still apply to the physical appearance of their larger tablets.

However, Samsung's phones don't look anything like the iPhone 4 series, and ICS doesn't look like iOS.

Currently the main strategy that Samsung is following that could be claimed to be an "Apple" strategy, is to concentrate on a single name/model that can get burned into the public's conciousness. Apple relies on using "iPhone" like the word "iPod". Likewise, Samsung has been pushing the name "Galaxy" now for a while, and they might put out fewer models.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The best thing that can happen with these two is to go their separate ways. Apple will see how much they need Samsung's quality class leading parts in the quantities only Samsung can supply. At the same time, Samsung will see how much they don't need Apple as others will fill the void no problem. Apple has already tried to leave Samsung, but have end up crawling back as Samsung knew they would. This is FACT.

Have you forgotten about this already? Samsung's Market Cap Takes $10 Billion Hit Amid Rumors of Apple DRAM Deal with Elpida. It's glaringly obvious who needs who here. :cool:

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

You act as though Samsung is their only supplier. The best option is for them to settle their differences.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Lets hope the discussions don't lead to less choice for the consumer.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Excellent! This is the best way to attempt to solve the issues. If it doesn't work, then continue legal action. One thing for sure, this would never happen if Steve was around.

That last line is bull. Tim Cook isn't the one that set this up, the courts did. And the courts could have done it on Steve Jobs as well. And probably would have given their reasoning which was to not tie up busy courts with something that reasonable folks should be able to sort out on their own.

----------

They would do a lot better if they would just agree to cross-license their stuff and not have to pay so much attention to the legal stuff.

Samsung is pushing for a cross license deal in the non trade dress stuff. The trouble with that is that Samsung wants access to proprietary Apple patents that are key to what makes Apple's devices unique etc. Patents that Apple has zero legal obligation to have to license if they don't want to. And, no shock, they don't want to. But on the flip side, Samsung is holding FRAND patents hostage over the issue making their demands part of the conditions for getting the license they have to agree to. That game isn't fair, reasonable or non discriminatory which means Samsung is in a major violation of the FRAND rules. Apple will be found by the courts to have infringed on the patents and will be forced to pay for their use and likely some portion of back payment which I suspect they are fine with, depending on the terms. Starting with the fact that it will not include forcing them to license non FRAND items to anyone. Nor will they be asked to pay amounts way over what everyone else does simply because they are Apple and can afford it.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
That was true a year or two ago, I think...

It's been true for a

very

long

time

now.

Go look at the Motorola Q and the Samsung Blackjack. There are examples before that as well.

Samsung hasn't been called "Same sung" in the industry for a long time for nothing, you know...

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
This will more than likely go nowhere. Then again, who knows what kind of talk these two are doing already behind the scenes. I mean with all the craziness that is big international business, would you really be surprised if Samsung and Apple were putting on a show to possibley hide something even bigger? I actually think the supporters of both companies argue more than the companies themselves.
Anyways, bring on the SGS3, my money is waiting.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Yeah, and as we all know, this attitude of his almost killed Apple back then and got Jobs fired from the company that he founded.

It's not his genius or ego that made Apple's late success possible. It was the platform agnostic nature of the Internet and the failure of Microsoft in certain technological areas - exactly those areas where Apple now plays.

But just like before, Apple tries to keep the platform closed under their tight control - and just like before, people are looking for an alternative. Back then, that was Windows. Today it's Android. Around 900,000 Android devices are being activated EVERY DAY. The platform is open for everybody who wants to use it.

Really, saying that Samsung's success is based upon "copying" Apple is ridiculous. Samsung sells awesome and OPEN products throughout all price ranges, but definitely ALWAYS at a competitive and usually even affordable price. Apple only feeds the high-price segment with its lifestyle products and image. That makes them a lot of money at the moment, but trends usually don't last for an eternity and the majority of people on this planet simply does not have the money to spare on pure luxury toys.

On the other hand, Samsung is only one competing player and an entire (Asian) industry is willing to provide -ALL- sorts of customer with Android-powered products.

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Who copied who?

1st off....I can't stand Samsung, as they have good products, but they are almost all overpriced for what you get. However I am getting tired of Apple trying to sue the heck out of everyone. If someone thinks of using an icon apple sues them for their thoughts. Apple has copied many people as well.

iPad copies Samsung?

http://www.androidauthority.com/behold-samsungs-ipad-made-in-2006-21278/

Siri was an improved version of what Android had already done.
iOS added a quick bar at the top of the iOS...Copy from Android.
Mac have widgets. Not sure if Android, Apple, or MS was 1st here, but someone copied someones idea.

Apple sues people over laptop designs when Apple stole the HP design on the MBP. I supported this HP garbage back in the day, and the 1st time I saw the MBP I thought it was that HP Laptop. (looked the same, but a MBP is a far better product ;-))

I like my Apple stuff (especially my Mini), and can't believe I just wrote the above statements. But I try not to look at things with blinders on.

I am ready to get flamed now :)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
About damn time. The constant bitching between the two companies with pathetic lawsuits was getting out of hand. Sit down and sort it out once and for all.

Then both of you can get back to doing what matters: Making awesome stuff for us to drool over!

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Hopefully they can reach a swift resolution. After all, every one dollar spent on litigation is one less dollar spent on innovation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.