Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21, 2012, 11:09 AM   #1
imaketouchtheme
macrumors 65816
 
imaketouchtheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WV
Send a message via Skype™ to imaketouchtheme
Sport Bikes

Does anyone own or know a lot about them? I'm interested in getting into the hobby, but I don't have any friends that own them. I'm looking into the Ninja 250 as I've read that's a good starter bike. I'm just worried about the size as I'm fairly tall. I'm six foot tall and weigh just under 150 pounds. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to buy or any information on them at all?

Thanks!
__________________
imaketouchtheme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 11:30 AM   #2
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
First things first : get your permit. Just doing the MSF rider training should give you a good idea of if this is really for you or not.

Then, go to dealers and sit on bikes until you find one or a few you're comfortable on. Finally, read online about each (specs/pricing/accessories) before you make a purchase. Haggle.

Don't listen to the Internet or what it says and "so and so is a starter bike, so and so is an advanced bike", just get whatever you want and feel comfortable on, you can kill yourself on any bike anyhow. 600cc, 1000cc, 250cc, super sport or naked or sport-touring, at 60 mph, you're dead meat anyhow. Wear proper safety gear (or don't, your choice, some dress for the ride, others dress for the fall) and always remember one thing : there's 2 types of motorcycle drivers, those who have fallen and those who will.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3
MacRy
macrumors Demi-God
 
MacRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: England
Sound advice from Knight there.

Speaking from personal experience; I'm glad that I started out on something fairly sedate and easy handling as I made a few mistakes during the first year that may well have proved life changing or fatal had I been hooning about on something more powerful. Like Knight says though - you can kill yourself on a scooter. I don't subscribe to the whole "you're going to fall off" thing though. I know people who have ridden bikes for decades and have never fallen off.

Definitely get some training.
MacRy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Mito
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Im not a rider myself but I have a friend who is. He has been riding 125CC Honda for 3 years and he is happy. He told me that it is more than enough for a city.
Mito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Hawkeye16
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
I started out on a 750cc sport bike...


... I would not recommend it. I am pretty sure it took me twice as long to learn to ride well as it would have if I would have started with a 250cc.
__________________
Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
Hawkeye16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:35 PM   #6
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I started out on a 1700CC.

Like Knight recommended, take the course, you'll ride 250cc and see how weak they are.

I did the Harley Rider's Course as they supplied the bikes.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:39 AM   #7
adk
macrumors 68000
 
adk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
The Ninja 250 is a great starter bike. It's impossible to say whether your height will be a problem, since how a bike fits is a very personal thing. I've seen a 6'4" guy with a ninja 250 before and I've heard a 5'6" guys say that it was too uncomfortable for him.

If you want a bike with a bigger frame, the Ninja 500 or Suzuki SV650 would be good.
adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:25 PM   #8
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a
 
JohnLT13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
Sports Bike=Orthopedic Surgery
JohnLT13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:42 PM   #9
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I'm 6'3, I never rode before back in 2007 and just knew how to do it. I had to teach my friend how to ride because he went out and bought a brand new gxsr 600, popped a wheelie on accident and laid it down... That was after he told me to shut up he knew how to take off, lol. But my knees where up to my elbows on a 600.

Go take a course that provides 250's, then judge from there. Like I said I officially started on a 1700.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:55 PM   #10
iCube
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Work your way up!

If you have experience riding a dirt bike when you were young, that's good! I rode most of my childhood and raced motocross for a long time. On the street I started out with a Ninja 250, then a year later I bought a Ninja 600, within that year I bought a GSXR750. Then I got my first 1000cc Yamaha R1, now I have two. My newest is a new generation crossplane crank engine R1. These motorcycles aren't for beginners. 192mph bone stock, 180 horsepower at the crank. Light, handles great, lots of torque! I have them on http://motorcycling-online.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my-yamaha-r1s.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	399340  
__________________
Check out my site http://waynecombs.com
iCube is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:06 PM   #11
raniel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ph
anyone can recommend a good sport bike for small guy(5'6"-5'7")? I want the yamaha r-6, but im not sure if the ride is comfortable for my size. thanks
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now i'm not so sure.
raniel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:32 PM   #12
iCube
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Go for the Yamaha R6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniel View Post
anyone can recommend a good sport bike for small guy(5'6"-5'7")? I want the yamaha r-6, but im not sure if the ride is comfortable for my size. thanks
For your size a Yamaha R6 is a perfect tight comfortable package. The Suzuki GSXR600 is a longer reach for taller riders. The Kawasaki ZX-6R is a bit more comfortable than the Suzuki. The Honda CBR600RR isn't bad, but I ride a new Yamaha R1 no problem being 5'8", but a Suzuki GSXR1000 feels huge! Go for the Yamaha R6. Also, I highly recommend an Arai helmet, don't waste your money on a cheap helmet.
Here's a few pages of the bikes mentioned above. Enjoy, keep us posted.
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motor...Sportbike.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motor...Sportbike.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motor...nja_ZX-6R.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motor...Sportbike.html
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motor...e_Helmets.html
__________________
Check out my site http://waynecombs.com
iCube is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:09 PM   #13
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaketouchtheme View Post
Does anyone own or know a lot about them? I'm interested in getting into the hobby, but I don't have any friends that own them. I'm looking into the Ninja 250 as I've read that's a good starter bike. I'm just worried about the size as I'm fairly tall. I'm six foot tall and weigh just under 150 pounds. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look to buy or any information on them at all?

Thanks!
I think the ninja 250cc is a great learner bike. Small, not to crazy with speed and easy to handle. As KnightWRX stated, take rider training first and foremost. It will give you the skills to begin riding and let you see if you are interested in the sport. Been riding for 38 years myself. Always ride with proper gear and never without a helmet. You have to be very observant when riding because you are harder to see. Hence my comment about proper riding gear. You will always be learning. It took me a couple of months to learn my last new bike. Here is my current bike:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha R1_4.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	402732  
firedept is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Firstcherokeeki
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I also suggest a smaller bike to start with. I would go with the Honda CBR250 because it is fuel injected vs the ninja 250, because it is still carbureted. I have been riding sport bikes for 15 years, racing for 6 years and I work at a dealership. I can't tell you how many times I have had this coversation. First steps take the course, then choose a bike Honda 250 or wait for the Kawi 300 that is coming out soon. After that take a sport bike riding class or experienced riders class. Also pick up the book or DVD by Keith Code called "twist of the wrist 2". Great info there on riding sport bikes.
Firstcherokeeki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:36 PM   #15
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
I would start with a svs650 or whereabouts

I had the 250r and it's fun and all but found myself wanting a bit more fairly quickly

the sv650 or even the 650 are tame bikes....unlike that of the supersports like a r6, car, gsxr etc
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:38 PM   #16
raniel
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ph
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
I think the ninja 250cc is a great learner bike. Small, not to crazy with speed and easy to handle. As KnightWRX stated, take rider training first and foremost. It will give you the skills to begin riding and let you see if you are interested in the sport. Been riding for 38 years myself. Always ride with proper gear and never without a helmet. You have to be very observant when riding because you are harder to see. Hence my comment about proper riding gear. You will always be learning. It took me a couple of months to learn my last new bike. Here is my current bike:
Thanks! your post is very helpful
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now i'm not so sure.
raniel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:53 PM   #17
iCube
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raniel View Post
Thanks! your post is very helpful
I thought you were interested in a good sportbike and was concerned if an R6 would be comfortable for your size.

I didn't know you were interested in a starter bike.
__________________
Check out my site http://waynecombs.com
iCube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:51 AM   #18
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raniel View Post
Thanks! your post is very helpful
Welcome and if you do decide to try the sport, "Stay Upright".
firedept is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:33 AM   #19
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030
 
DakotaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Dakota, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCube View Post
If you have experience riding a dirt bike when you were young, that's good! I rode most of my childhood and raced motocross for a long time. On the street I started out with a Ninja 250, then a year later I bought a Ninja 600, within that year I bought a GSXR750. Then I got my first 1000cc Yamaha R1, now I have two. My newest is a new generation crossplane crank engine R1. These motorcycles aren't for beginners. 192mph bone stock, 180 horsepower at the crank. Light, handles great, lots of torque! I have them on http://motorcycling-online.com
Nice bikes! I have a nice blue Yamaha with a 1049cc triple in it, but mine is for going over a different surface. Yes it is TONS of fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0155.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	403151  
__________________
Mac: 21.5" iMac Core i5 2.5 Ghz "Sandy Bridge"
iPad Air 16 GB WiFi - iPod Classic 80GB - LG G3
DakotaGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:13 PM   #20
iCube
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Nice!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Nice bikes! I have a nice blue Yamaha with a 1049cc triple in it, but mine is for going over a different surface. Yes it is TONS of fun!
Thanks!
That's Badass!! Oh I'm sure that monster pulls like an R1 or probably harder!!
I read that Yamaha is seriously aiming toward a triple R6 and R1 soon.
__________________
Check out my site http://waynecombs.com
iCube is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:29 PM   #21
iCube
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Ninja 250 following an R1 and 999R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniel View Post
Thanks! your post is very helpful
The Ninja 250 is fun for sure, now it's actually a 300cc. I friend of mine with a Ninja 250 had a GoPro camera running while following me on my R1 and another friend of mine on his Ducati 999R. He was screaming that little 250 and he can hold some pretty good corner speed. It was his first time riding with us, we weren't pushing it at all so he could hang with us and get some video, after that ride he sold it and got a black Triumph 675.

Here's the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkRk72kLj8

Here's his black Triumph 675 in the second half of the page.
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motor...75_Triple.html


The red 675 belongs to my friend Wayne with the 999R. His race track pics are at
http://waynecombs.com He also owns the Aprilia RSV 1000 Tuono Racing Edition on my site.
http://motorcycling-online.com/Motor...no_Racing.html
__________________
Check out my site http://waynecombs.com
iCube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:41 PM   #22
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030
 
DakotaGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: South Dakota, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCube View Post
Thanks!
That's Badass!! Oh I'm sure that monster pulls like an R1 or probably harder!!
I read that Yamaha is seriously aiming toward a triple R6 and R1 soon.
Yep it will carry the skis to 60+ MPH without much effort.
__________________
Mac: 21.5" iMac Core i5 2.5 Ghz "Sandy Bridge"
iPad Air 16 GB WiFi - iPod Classic 80GB - LG G3
DakotaGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:10 PM   #23
iCube
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raniel View Post
Thanks! your post is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Yep it will carry the skis to 60+ MPH without much effort.
Yeah, I bet! Gas it and hang on!! I should make a page for your Yamaha on my site. It'll fit well, it looks mean for sure!
__________________
Check out my site http://waynecombs.com
iCube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:11 PM   #24
kapolani
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
I'll give you advice.

Stay away from them.

You can be the best rider in the world. It doesn't matter how good you are if other people on the road suck.

I was run off the road back in '95. Fractured my femur and patella. Was on crutches for a year and a cane after that for 6 months.

Was medically discharged from a promising career in the USN.

Never made a full recovery, but I'm walking and can run.

It's all fun and games until you almost get killed from a negligent driver.
kapolani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:50 PM   #25
Cloudsurfer
macrumors 6502a
 
Cloudsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapolani View Post
I'll give you advice.

Stay away from them.

You can be the best rider in the world. It doesn't matter how good you are if other people on the road suck.

I was run off the road back in '95. Fractured my femur and patella. Was on crutches for a year and a cane after that for 6 months.

Was medically discharged from a promising career in the USN.

Never made a full recovery, but I'm walking and can run.

It's all fun and games until you almost get killed from a negligent driver.
I am sorry to hear your experience. But that could also happen to anyone in a car or any other vehicle. The only thing you can do on your part is ride safely and defensively. A good school will teach you how to perfect these skills.

I personally prefer all-road bikes such as the BMW R1200GS. More comfort for long trips and over-all daily commuting.

My advice as a rider: start with a small engine. Even a 600cc engine may be too big to start with.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" 2010 | 2.4 GHz | 5GB RAM
iPhone 5 16GB | TV 3
Cloudsurfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Sport Lovers: BT Sport now Chromecast compatible Lloydbm41 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Apr 7, 2014 01:18 PM
Electric bikes? einmusiker Community Discussion 5 Mar 11, 2013 08:19 PM
Better roads, more bikes, less cars niuniu Politics, Religion, Social Issues 176 Feb 5, 2013 01:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC