Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
friends
i have ATV third generation, i have connected the ATV with my Yamaha Receiver by an optical cable, but whenever i try to play any 5.1 channel content through Air Video the receiver shows me Pro Logic, i have checked the settings in ATV the Dolby Digital is ON, i tried to play the HD contents directly through ATV also but there is no Dolby Digital in my receiver, ATV is not sending the audio signal in 5.1 channel (DD), please tell me how to make it worked
Thanks

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
AirPLay doesn't support 5.1 on all Apps, you need to check on that on the App developers website or apple forums, and even on the build in Apple video app, the video have to be AC3 5.1 Audio on a mp4/m4v container.

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
AirPLay doesn't support 5.1 on all Apps, you need to check on that on the App developers website or apple forums, and even on the build in Apple video app, the video have to be AC3 5.1 Audio on a mp4/m4v container.

friend, i am not talking about AirPlay feature, i am talking about the videos in ac3 format only, the videos are in 5.1 channel, to check that the video is in 5.1 or not, i copied that video to the Pen Drive and connected to my dvd player and started, the receiver automatically shows me the Dolby Digital signal and when i tried another time to play the same video by Air Video software to ATV, receiver doesnt show me Dolby Digital :(

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
friend, i am not talking about AirPlay feature, i am talking about the videos in ac3 format only, the videos are in 5.1 channel, to check that the video is in 5.1 or not, i copied that video to the Pen Drive and connected to my dvd player and started, the receiver automatically shows me the Dolby Digital signal and when i tried another time to play the same video by Air Video software to ATV, receiver doesnt show me Dolby Digital :(

While the movie is playing, have you tried to go into the file options and manually select the AC3 5.1 track (as opposed to the AC3 Dolby Prologic track)?

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK

but you are using airplay though.
you said you were using airvideo to play the files?

i take the files are not appletv compatible, otherwise you would simply play them direct on the appletv rather than via airvideo?

airvideo is an airplay app - is this what you are talking about? or are you using the term "airvideo" as meaning something else?

amitabhbansal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Delhi, India
but you are using airplay though.
you said you were using airvideo to play the files?

i take the files are not appletv compatible, otherwise you would simply play them direct on the appletv rather than via airvideo?

airvideo is an airplay app - is this what you are talking about? or are you using the term "airvideo" as meaning something else?

AirVideo is a app, actually i have Airport Extreme Dual Base Station router and connected a HDD with it, in that HDD there are many videos in MKV, AVI, MP4 formats, but the ATV or my idevices dont understand MKV format someone in this forum suggested me to buy Air Video app and create a server on the PC/MAC, i did that and now trying to play those videos

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
AirVideo is a app, actually i have Airport Extreme Dual Base Station router and connected a HDD with it, in that HDD there are many videos in MKV, AVI, MP4 formats, but the ATV or my idevices dont understand MKV format someone in this forum suggested me to buy Air Video app and create a server on the PC/MAC, i did that and now trying to play those videos

AirVideo is an app that use the build in Air Play "feature",,,and as i said on post #2, no all apps support 5.1 over Air play.

You can check the developers website (as I also already advised on post #2), many had issues with that.

http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/3453.page#18764

Admin said:
Hi,

unfortunately it is not currently possible to do DTS passthrough using Air Play.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

This link may help you: http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/5336.page

Note that it says air video does not support live conversion of AC3. AC3 is supported only if it is in the mp4 container.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
so could you guide me how to get 5.1 channel audio from MKV video?

You best bet is to find a Jailbroken ATV2 (or wait a bit for the next jailbreak), install Plex client, and Plex server on your computer and you will be able to play all those videos (MKVs, AVIs, MP4). You can also use ATVFlash (one jailbroken) and you will be able to read directly from your NAS without a Computer present.

if 1080P support is important to you, I'd suggest looking into replacing that ATV with a Roku box (same pricing) or a small HTPC (~$300, $400) (since ATV3 won't be jailbroken anytime soon)

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
thanks for the replies friends
@Spacepower
is this handbreak is not good then the softwares you mentioned?

handbrake will reconvert the files resulting in a slight loss of quality. If the videos are h264 it's best to leave the video untouched.

If, however, the files are something different - like VC1 or AVI you will need a tool like handbrake to convert the files to a format the ATV3 can understand.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
thanks for the replies friends
@Spacepower
is this handbreak is not good then the softwares you mentioned?

I use handbrake all the time but what I was talking about is this:
Many MKV files from the net or wherever are already compatible with the AppleTV and iOS device. If they have 264 video and ac3 or AAC audio, then they are most likely compatible.

MKV, AVI, mp4, m4v, etc are container file formats. Think of it this way, they are like boxes that can hold various audio and video formats. The MKV box most likely has video and audio that will play on the AppleTV, but the AppleTV won't play the MKV box.

What you need to do is use one of the apps I mentioned, which will take the audio and video out of a MKV box and put them into a mp4/m4v box which will playback on Apple devices. This process is called remuxing. This won't alter the original video or audio quality. The process only takes a few minutes.

First step is to find out info about your MKV, either in vlc or free apps like iMediaHUB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.