Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 22, 2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Mach1child
macrumors newbie

External Hard Drive

I had a question about using my camera connection kit to plug my external hard drive into my ipad. The kit comes with the sd card reader and a usb plug in, well couldn't i just plug my external hard drive into the usb plug in and transfer photos to the hard drive from the ipad?
Mach1child is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 08:29 AM   #2
r-sparks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1child View Post
I had a question about using my camera connection kit to plug my external hard drive into my ipad. The kit comes with the sd card reader and a usb plug in, well couldn't i just plug my external hard drive into the usb plug in and transfer photos to the hard drive from the ipad?
I haven't got one but I'm guessing the iPad will search for a DCIM folder in the disk's root, and present to you whatever images it finds there. I suppose you could fake this with whichever images you want to upload.

Whatever the case, you're not going to break anything doing this.
r-sparks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
applesith
macrumors 68000

Give it a try with a DCIM folder and let us know how that turns out.
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 09:01 AM   #4
mlmwalt
macrumors 6502a

Check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satell...7694890&sr=8-1

I am stunned that Seagate responds to most of the negative reviews with fixes for the specified problems...
mlmwalt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 09:12 AM   #5
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
It doesn't work that way. You can't even transfer photos from the iPad to SD, it only works the other way around (FROM external media TO iPad).
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Mach1child
macrumors newbie

Well im gonna be transferring a lot of raw images, then once I'm done editing. I wanted to somehow take them off of my iPad to free space.
Old May 22, 2012, 04:54 PM   #7
VFC
macrumors 6502

I use the Photo Transfer app. I can transfer pictures and videos from my pc to the iPad and back. It uses my local wifi connection to move the files. Works great. I was going to buy the camera kit, but this app is far better.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Mach1child
macrumors newbie

O ok cool, I'm guessing I'll have to setup my pc for file sharing?
Old May 22, 2012, 09:16 PM   #9
VFC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
O ok cool, I'm guessing I'll have to setup my pc for file sharing?
No need too. It is all done using Internet Exployer. Just start the Photo Transfer app on the iPad and enter an IP address in IE. the iPad and pc (i'm running Vista) immediately detect each other.

The whole process is then controlled by clicking on icons in IE. Very easy to select files in any directory on any pc drive (including external hard drives, USB sticks, or the camera attached to the pc) and copy them to any album on the iPad. Copying files from the iPad to the pc is just as easy. There is a 200 file limit per transfer, so I had to do 5 separate transfers to copy ~ 1,000 pictures to my iPad.

BTW - Photo Toaster did a great job of editing the graduation pictures that I had transferred to the pc from my camera. The results were actually just as good as Paint Shop Pro that I use on my pc; only easier with the iPad Photo Toaster app.

Last edited by VFC; May 22, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
VFC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 10:11 AM   #10
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

I was thinking of picking up a cloudftp and an external USB hard drive. It looks interesting, but I don't know anyone yet who is using it.

http://www.hypershop.com/CloudFTP-p/cftp-black.htm
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfc View Post
i use the photo transfer app. I can transfer pictures and videos from my pc to the ipad and back. It uses my local wifi connection to move the files. Works great. I was going to buy the camera kit, but this app is far better.
+1
Ladybug is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad