Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi there,
I need to migrate from Passwords Plus, which doesn't seem to be very serious about updating to 64-bit (for the Mac desktop version, anyway), to another program that will help me store not just passwords but all the other info I need to keep track of: version number, registration number, activation key (for software), purchase price, purchase date, tech support and website contact info (for software and hardware), and warranty info (for hardware)... that kind of thing... plus maybe some notes I might want to add.

Can people recommend such an app?

I've done a search, I can see that a lot of you seem to like 1Password, but from what I can see this is app designed mostly for passwords... As I've said above, passwords are just one of the bits of information I need to keep track of.

The other consideration is that I need an app that can import my Passwords Plus info, which is in the form of .csv data files.

Any advice?
Thanks,
malch

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
1Password. It does in fact store various things including notes. Go to their site and see for yourself.

aarchitect

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2005
Los Angeles
I'll second the recommendation of 1Password. I have been using it for years and they have a great development team who provide frequent updates and bug fixes.

I use it for all kinds of information beyond passwords and web site logins. It has the ability to set up folders--even smart folders--to organize your data however you wish.

It can import data from over a dozen different password/security type apps, as well as .csv formatted data.

I have no connection to the company other than as a long time user. Try it.

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. Because of them, I went ahead and downloaded the 1Password demo.
Nice looking app, with one (for me) major flaw: you can't seem to be able to customize the entries/templates. I need to keep track of 'Serial Numbers' (for my software) but the 1Password entry name is 'License Key'. Well, I'd prefer 'Serial Number'... too bad for me. Can't be changed. Not a big deal, you say, and I agree. But entry after entry requires me having to try to work with useless/confusing field names.
I tried entering some bank account information, for example. The 1Password template has field names like 'Routing Number'. I don't know about you, but I've never been asked for a 'Routing Number'. I am, however, always being asked for an 'Access Card Number'. If I could only highlight 'Routing Number' and change it to 'Access Card Number', I'd be happy. But it seems you can't do this in 1Password.
(I could give you fifty other examples of field names that don't work for me, and which I'd like to replace with field names of my own, but can't... but you get me point).
Too bad, because otherwise this app has very nice feel to it.
Regards,
malch

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
A brief update... I've emailed back and forth with the folks at AgileBits, who make 1Password. Two things are now clear to me:
1. they know that users want to be able to customize templates, and they're working on it. No time-frame. Something tells me, though, that version 4 (they're at version 3.8 right now) will have what I, and others, are hoping for.
2. the people at this company are great. I've never seen such prompt and helpful replies.
I purchased the app last night, based on both points above, and I'm really pleased.
So thank you, people, for recommending this software (as four out of six of you did)!
malch

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
A brief update... I've emailed back and forth with the folks at AgileBits, who make 1Password. Two things are now clear to me:
1. they know that users want to be able to customize templates, and they're working on it. No time-frame. Something tells me, though, that version 4 (they're at version 3.8 right now) will have what I, and others, are hoping for.
2. the people at this company are great. I've never seen such prompt and helpful replies.
I purchased the app last night, based on both points above, and I'm really pleased.
So thank you, people, for recommending this software (as four out of six of you did)!
malch

I've had similar good dealings with Support, and that also is a big factor in my decisions. And this one.

Good deal!

jimt29

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
Hi there,
I need to migrate from Passwords Plus, which doesn't seem to be very serious about updating to 64-bit (for the Mac desktop version, anyway), to another program that will help me store not just passwords but all the other info I need to keep track of: version number, registration number, activation key (for software), purchase price, purchase date, tech support and website contact info (for software and hardware), and warranty info (for hardware)... that kind of thing... plus maybe some notes I might want to add.

Can people recommend such an app?

I've done a search, I can see that a lot of you seem to like 1Password, but from what I can see this is app designed mostly for passwords... As I've said above, passwords are just one of the bits of information I need to keep track of.

The other consideration is that I need an app that can import my Passwords Plus info, which is in the form of .csv data files.

Any advice?
Thanks,
malch

You say you "need to" migrate from Password Plus. Being a user for many years starting with the Windows version then to Windows Mobile and now on to IOS, I am curious why you are unhappy with it.

I've tried many other programs but none had all the features I wanted and the biggest is the direct link to my PC which is a Windows 7 machine. I use the program daily and never had a problem.

Interesting enough the PC version was FREE as well and the IOS version was just a few dollars.

Would you mind sharing what you are displeased with?

Thanks

malch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Hi there jim,
Very simple situation here. I'm on a Mac, and Passwords Plus is not 64-bit, and in fact it's an 'old' Power PC app that requires Rosetta to run on a modern Intel-based Mac. That's kept me going, but when I switch to to next big Mac OS, Rosetta apps won't work anymore. So I'm wanting to change with the times, and a few stuck-in-the-mud apps like Passwords Plus have been holding me back.
I contacted DataViz and asked if they'd be re-writing Passwords Plus as a 64-bit app and was told maybe, but don't hold my breath. So I've switched to 1Password.
Simple as that.
Regards, malch

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
I actually use SplashID Safe. The beauty of this program is that it can wirelessly sync between my Mac, iPhone and iPad, has totally customizable fields, and it stores EVERYTHING. And by everything, I mean websites/usernames/passwords, credit card data (#, exp. date, CVC code, etc.), bank account numbers/routing numbers, frequent flyer numbers, software serial numbers, driver's license and other ID info, medical information, etc. It is really a GREAT repository for everything, and I have access to it on all my devices! Check it out!

Momgyver

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
I actually use SplashID Safe. The beauty of this program is that it can wirelessly sync between my Mac, iPhone and iPad, has totally customizable fields, and it stores EVERYTHING. And by everything, I mean websites/usernames/passwords, credit card data (#, exp. date, CVC code, etc.), bank account numbers/routing numbers, frequent flyer numbers, software serial numbers, driver's license and other ID info, medical information, etc. It is really a GREAT repository for everything, and I have access to it on all my devices! Check it out!

I have used SplashID since my very first Palm Pilot and always loved it -- until this past year. I have it on my iPhone, iPad, Mac, & PC, but am ready to abandon the whole thing. It no longer syncs across all my devices reliably. My devises do not contain the same data anymore. I keep losing entries. I simply no longer trust it. I am afraid to sync. It used to be a world class program and I recommended it to everyone, but no more, and it makes me sad. I am trying to decide between LastPass and 1Password & Dashlane. I'm not looking forward to migrating my data. I have a LOT of entries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.