Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Studies of "brand value" are always difficult to compare, as widely differing methodologies used by those measuring such data yield markedly different results. But tracking year-to-year movements using a consistent methodology can offer some interesting perspectives, and so Millward's Brown's latest BrandZ study (via The Next Web) makes for a good look at trends in marketing and branding.

brandz_2012_rankings.jpg

In the 2012 brand rankings released today, Apple tops the list for the second year in a row, scoring a brand value of nearly $183 billion as compared to last year's $153 billion figure that saw Apple move into the top position for the first time. Apple's 19% growth was the strongest among the top ten brands.
David Roth for WPP said "Brands help businesses create competitive differentiation, command a price premium and become more resilient to crises or economic turbulence. This year, those businesses that leveraged technology, focused on the customer experience or boosted control of their brands thrived."

Apple continues to innovate and maintain its 'luxury' brand status, but faces future competition from Samsung. Now worth more than $14.1 billion, thanks in part to the success of its Galaxy handsets, Samsung is successfully outpacing Apple in a significant number of markets by positioning as a cool, well-priced alternative to the ubiquitous iPhone."
Still, Samsung's brand value of $14.1 billion for a 55th place ranking paled in comparison to Apple, and the company's 16% growth in brand value was unable to match Apple's performance.

Among other top brands, IBM passed Google to take the second spot in the rankings with a brand value of nearly $116 billion as seven of the top ten spots were held by technology or communications companies. Facebook saw the largest percentage gain among top companies, with its brand value jumping by 74% to $33 billion, a leap of sixteen places to number 19 in the rankings.

Article Link: Apple Again Ranked as World's Most Valuable Brand

badtzwang

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I'm surprised IBM is so high on that list ... If anything, I would think McDonalds would be higher.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Given that AT&T and Verizon cracked the top 10, I'm not sure how much I trust these rankings. What about Nike? GE? Amazon.com?

Edit: I decided to check out the full 100 list. Looks like GE and Amazon.com were close at 11 and 18, respectively. But Nike was 44th? Behind such venerable brands as HP, SAP, and HSBC? Yeah, sure.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Does this really cover the world's most valuable brands?

I'm surprised that AT&T and Verizon are listed here, given the limited number of people who are exposed to their products. Surely Vodafone and T-Mobile are more valuable given how many more subscribers they have.

(According to this

AT&T: 100m
Verizon: 108m
T-Mobile: 328m
Vodafone: 439m)

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Hopefully Cook doesn't mess this up. Steve Jobs was a great visionary, Tim Cook just reminds me of a typical fat cat.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Not surprised Google dropped in brand value. Their recent privacy violations and other unwanted actions didn't sit well with many people and the Google name has lost quite a bit of the positive association it used to have.

The "don't be evil" thing was actually something people believed around 2006 or so but lately it has become a running joke.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Not too surprised. Apple makes a lot of money from taking 30%.

And good ol' Marlboro! Maybe if AT&T started selling cigarettes they'd be more popular.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Hopefully Cook doesn't mess this up. Steve Jobs was a great visionary, Tim Cook just reminds me of a typical fat cat.

I guess you don't really know Mr. Cook, then. You must have been real close to Steve.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Does this really cover the world's most valuable brands?

I'm surprised that AT&T and Verizon are listed here, given the limited number of people who are exposed to their products. Surely Vodafone and T-Mobile are more valuable given how many more subscribers they have.

(According to this

AT&T: 100m
Verizon: 108m
T-Mobile: 328m
Vodafone: 439m)

If the value were based on users, you would be right. Problem is Americans pay a major premium for Verizon and AT&T services. If I pay ten times as much for my mobile service and I'm one person, aren't I equally as valuable as ten people?

----------

The Vodafone list include Verizon subscribers. Your point is still a good one, but just an FYI.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
#27: Oracle
#43: Disney
#44: Nike

Oracle is a massive company but I find it hard to believe their brand is more valuable than Nike and Disney.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

Oracle is a massive company but I find it hard to believe their brand is more valuable than Nike and Disney.

Agreed, something is fishy about this list.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

If this were a most popular brand naming list, these two would be the names on the top, without a doubt.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
It's about trust and value

This reflects more how much people trust on a brand.

It has nothing to do with number of users, or how much you use it everyday or how well known the brand is.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Some CIO says "I'll buy this database for a million because it's named "Oracle"". Some teenager says "I'll buy these shoes because they are named "Nike"". That's what "brand value" means; the amount of money people pay because it's the brand. I could imagine that many more people pay for the name Nike or Disney, but the few people who pay for the name Oracle pay a lot more money.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
This reflects more how much people trust on a brand.

It has nothing to do with number of users, or how much you use it everyday or how well known the brand is.

Now that definitely doesn't explain microsoft:)

Some CIO says "I'll buy this database for a million because it's named "Oracle"". Some teenager says "I'll buy these shoes because they are named "Nike"". That's what "brand value" means; the amount of money people pay because it's the brand. I could imagine that many more people pay for the name Nike or Disney, but the few people who pay for the name Oracle pay a lot more money.

Let's look at Disney. For instance, if I want to build a theme park and I work with six flags, I can charge around $40 for admission. Let's say Disney slaps its name on a theme park. The result is single day $80 tickets.

The Apple name is simply worth so much more than it's competitors. More people wait for Apple's response to a product or new technology than anyone else. Apple doesn't just double revenue like Disney over Six Flags, it makes 100 times as much as its competitors by selling more expensive products to hundreds of times the number of people.

Starship77

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
Now that definitely doesn't explain microsoft:)

It's not trusting it's good, I mean trusting like trusting it's a serious business…

Of course a company like Microsoft is a serious business and this would be very hard to doubt even if you think their products suck…

If a product has the Microsoft brand on it, people will not be afraid to buy it, because they trust the company. Even if it end up not being as good as expected, they know they have someone to complain to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.