Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 23, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Email mass delete?

Is there a way to mass delete emails in the inbox queue, without having to click on each one individually in Edit mode to later delete them? It's pretty cumbersome. A "select all" followed by "delete selected" would have been nice.
Jackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 05:18 PM   #2
iCrosoft
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackintosh View Post
Is there a way to mass delete emails in the inbox queue, without having to click on each one individually in Edit mode to later delete them? It's pretty cumbersome. A "select all" followed by "delete selected" would have been nice.
I don't like how they changed the swipe action from "delete" to "archive". There should be options under settings>mail to customize your preferences of options and change things around. The archive button is utterly useless to me.
iCrosoft is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
mcdj
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrosoft View Post
I don't like how they changed the swipe action from "delete" to "archive". There should be options under settings>mail to customize your preferences of options and change things around. The archive button is utterly useless to me.
Archive is a gmail setting, not iOS.

To answer the pre-threadjack question, unfortunately, no.
mcdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrosoft View Post

Without having my iPad in front of me, I'm more than positive its in the settings. Go into the Email settings, select Gmail, then there though be a toggle in there that says "Archive emails instead of Delete" or something like that.

I had the same issue, Archiving was a waste and did me no good. But I know there is a setting in there that toggles it. I had to setup my Gmail a couple times now due to issues before.

As for the mass email delete, yeah thats a royal pain. They need Select All.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
seeharrison
macrumors regular

I faced the same dilemma when I switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone. I get about 200 work emails a day, so I quickly switched back to Blackberry. I loved the feature rich apps under iOS, but the email functionality (or lack there of) killed me. Hopefully this will improve in the future. I've also heard of some 3rd party mail clients for iOS that may resolve this issue.

Good Luck!
seeharrison is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6
rickp1
macrumors member

I've called Apple about this a couple of times and they said no. IMO it's ridiculous that such a simple feature could be missed by the developers.

What I've done to get around that is to log in by webmail and then do a mass delete and only keep the last few emails I need then let the ipad or iphone or whatever download them.

I know it's a PITA and its doing double the work but its the only way i found that keeps the ipad from downloading ALL your messages and then having to delete them one by one.
rickp1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 11:01 AM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeharrison View Post
I loved the feature rich apps under iOS, but the email functionality (or lack there of) killed me.
Pros and cons on both sides. BB is only push-and-reconcile.
takeshi74 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Now that I look at the email app on my iPad, there is a Delete All option. From within the email box itself, tap Edit, then at the bottom in bright red, tap Delete all. The problem for me is, I would rather delete all but 1 email from that particular person. Makes it easier for me to reply later on.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:01 PM   #9
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

If your jailbroken, you can install "Allmail". It allows you to select or deselect all emails from inbox or any folder. I usually select all and manually uncheck the ones I want to keep.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Now that I look at the email app on my iPad, there is a Delete All option. From within the email box itself, tap Edit, then at the bottom in bright red, tap Delete all. The problem for me is, I would rather delete all but 1 email from that particular person. Makes it easier for me to reply later on.
I don't have a Delete All button in Edit mode. At the bottom, I just see 3 buttons: Delete (red), Move (blue), and Mark (blue). The red Delete button deletes only email that is each painstakingly manually selected.

I'd be interested in how you're getting this Delete All button.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:41 PM   #11
rickp1
macrumors member

I believe that button means to delete all messages relating to that email. Meaning if one has 6 replies back and forth on the same message then that will delete all six win one click. Its not deleti g ALL messages in ur inbox.
rickp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't have a Delete All button in Edit mode. At the bottom, I just see 3 buttons: Delete (red), Move (blue), and Mark (blue). The red Delete button deletes only email that is each painstakingly manually selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp1 View Post
I believe that button means to delete all messages relating to that email. Meaning if one has 6 replies back and forth on the same message then that will delete all six win one click. Its not deleti g ALL messages in ur inbox.

What he said. I get the "Delete All" button when I had multiple messages from the same person.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
What he said. I get the "Delete All" button when I had multiple messages from the same person.
Yeah thanks, it wasn't clear the way he described it. So no mass delete and something Apple really missed, as many here agree with.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:48 AM   #14
astrorider
macrumors 6502

From this thread covering the same topic:

1. Go to the account
2. Select the inbox.
3. Tap edit & select any email
4. Hold down the MOVE button
5. While holding the Move button, deselect the email
6. Release the Move button
7. Select the folder where you'd like to move the mail
astrorider is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
From this thread covering the same topic:

1. Go to the account
2. Select the inbox.
3. Tap edit & select any email
4. Hold down the MOVE button
5. While holding the Move button, deselect the email
6. Release the Move button
7. Select the folder where you'd like to move the mail
Thanks for the advice. But this doesn't work for me. I can now do a mass select from a mailbox in order to move them, but nowhere do I see how I can delete what I've selected using this procedure.
Old May 25, 2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Lsugrad95
macrumors newbie

Sorry, not at this time.
Lsugrad95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 03:33 PM   #17
BFizzzle
Banned

jailbreak it, install deletemail from cydia

Last edited by BFizzzle; May 25, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: i cant spell
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 03:37 PM   #18
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. But this doesn't work for me. I can now do a mass select from a mailbox in order to move them, but nowhere do I see how I can delete what I've selected using this procedure.
Move to Trash?
astrorider is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 08:41 AM   #19
glen e
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Move to Trash?

Yes, trash which has a delete all button...works perfect...I dumped 1500 last night!!!!!
glen e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 12:15 PM   #20
TB07-NJ
macrumors 68020

Quote:

It's a Cydia (Jailbreak) app called (IIRC) Deletemail. I have been using it for a long time and it really serves the purpose well.

A really dumb omission from Apple but fixed with a jailbreak.

I'd also like to see a similar app to allow you to MOVE all mail rather than delete it.
TB07-NJ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 01:59 PM   #21
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Yes, trash which has a delete all button...works perfect...I dumped 1500 last night!!!!!
I think we have a winner. Moving to trash using the "move" function worked perfectly. A little convoluted, but I'm not complaining. I'm sure Apple never intended "move" to clear out an inbox.

I think they missed the boat in providing a simple way to mass delete. It might have to do with their desire to keep the integrity of the user's mail vs. accidental deletion of everything at the single stroke of a button. Potentially lots of complaint calls on their help line.
Old May 26, 2012, 05:08 PM   #22
rickp1
macrumors member

Quote:
I think we have a winner. Moving to trash using the "move" function worked perfectly. A little convoluted, but I'm not complaining. I'm sure Apple never intended "move" to clear out an inbox.

I think they missed the boat in providing a simple way to mass delete. It might have to do with their desire to keep the integrity of the user's mail vs. accidental deletion of everything at the single stroke of a button. Potentially lots of complaint calls on their help line.
Once again developing things for the lowest common denominator.

If that was the case they could ask the delete questions 2 even 3 times to confirm. If you still delete them, well then one needs to learn how to read and comprehend.
rickp1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 11:10 PM   #23
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp1 View Post
Once again developing things for the lowest common denominator.

If that was the case they could ask the delete questions 2 even 3 times to confirm. If you still delete them, well then one needs to learn how to read and comprehend.
Doesn't matter. This is human behavior. No matter how many times you ask if you're sure you want to do this, a significant percentage will say yes and later complain about it. I see it in the IT support area at the office all the time.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:10 AM   #24
rickp1
macrumors member

Quote:
Doesn't matter. This is human behavior. No matter how many times you ask if you're sure you want to do this, a significant percentage will say yes and later complain about it. I see it in the IT support area at the office all the time.
You're right. The important part is that it worked.
rickp1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 08:41 AM   #25
shinobi-81
Banned

Quote:
There's a reason why people need IT support in the first place.
shinobi-81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad