Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 24, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Lokoso
macrumors newbie

Mac storage, 145gb backups?

So i just checked my storage on my Macbook Pro, and it says i have 145 GB on backups?

I can't seem to find the backups anywhere on my computer, does anyone know where they are located?

Screenshot of my disk:

Lokoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 01:39 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating my space
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 01:50 AM   #3
Lokoso
macrumors newbie

Amazing! just got it removed, using sudo tmutil disablelocal.

Thank you, so much!
Lokoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 01:51 AM   #4
casspir
macrumors newbie

Lokoso,

How did you get that graphic image? I know you get similar on iTines . but then for iPhone/iPod etc.
casspir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 01:53 AM   #5
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating my space
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
This has to be one of the most ridiculous pre set replies I've ever seen. Can't you just tell him what the backups portion of the space indicator means instead of spewing all that nonsense for things he didn't even ask about? There's no need to answer everything there is to know about storage on Lion for this question.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:55 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by casspir View Post
Lokoso,

How did you get that graphic image? I know you get similar on iTines …. but then for iPhone/iPod etc.
On Lion, click  > About This Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andalusia View Post
This has to be one of the most ridiculous pre set replies I've ever seen. Can't you just tell him what the backups portion of the space indicator means instead of spewing all that nonsense for things he didn't even ask about? There's no need to answer everything there is to know about storage on Lion for this question.
When you answer thousands of posts asking related questions, you'll find the value in covering all bases. The OP got the answer they wanted, obviously.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokoso View Post
So i just checked my storage on my Macbook Pro, and it says i have 145 GB on backups?

I can't seem to find the backups anywhere on my computer, does anyone know where they are located?

Screenshot of my disk:

It is just temp Time Machine backups from when your machine was away from a backup destination. Lion will delete (shrink) that space if the system needs it, so you can ignore it. If you want to manually reclaim the space, just turn Time Machine off then back on and it will zero out that backup space you see in your screen cap.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokoso View Post
Amazing! just got it removed, using sudo tmutil disablelocal.

Thank you, so much!
You may not want to disable that. It will leave you without temp backups when away from an external backup source. Say you are away from the backup drive and discover you want to retrieve a file you deleted a couple hours ago... with this feature turned on you would be able to go into Time Machine and get the file back from this temp storage area. Lion manages this space so there really is no harm in leaving it turned on.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Tags
backups, disk, mac, storage