Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 25, 2012, 05:36 AM   #1
alehen
macrumors member

My new iPad has no sweet spot :/

I bought the new iPad and the viewing angle was pretty bad, even a slight movement and part of my screen would turn green. I am not complaining about the warm colors, that don't bother e as much as the awful tint I get when tilting my iPad for less than an inch.

I got a replacement and guess what? Now I have a puple tint. I have two other iPads and none of them suffer from that.

Is there any new iPad free of that issue?

Last edited by alehen; May 25, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
alehen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Capt T
macrumors 6502a

Mine does not do that. May want to examine in the store if you exchange this one.
Capt T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

Mines perfect
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 08:00 AM   #4
alehen
macrumors member

What color does the iPad screen normaly gets when viewed from extreme angles?
Old May 25, 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehen View Post
Mine looks exactly the same from an extreme angle as it does from perpendicular.
elistan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 09:04 AM   #6
alehen
macrumors member

I have a horrible bleeding and a purple haze.. and the store is resisting to replace =[
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.JPG
Views:	3895
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	340726   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	340727  
Old May 25, 2012, 10:39 AM   #7
zooby
macrumors 6502

Mine does that ... I don't think they will replace it though. I had mine replaced for a dead pixels, but those can be clearly seen. This is only seen at an extreme angle. To be honest, if you look at it on a regular screen from that angle the whites seem whiter, and I'd prefer if that is how the screen looked regularly. I am not a fan of the warm tint.
zooby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
How often will you be holding you iPad at extreme angles? Most of us hold them flat in front of our face. Just curious what crazy way you'll be using this at these angles all the time, is there special apps or videos you need to hold the ipad at this angle with a completely black screen??/ just asking...
iphone1105 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:53 AM   #9
zooby
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
How often will you be holding you iPad at extreme angles? Most of us hold them flat in front of our face. Just curious what crazy way you'll be using this at these angles all the time, is there special apps or videos you need to hold the ipad at this angle with a completely black screen??/ just asking...
I think every iPad has this though... when viewed at THIS angle... Cause I tested it once at the Apple store. Again, this is only at an extreme angle. I think it is even present in my iPhone 4S.
zooby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
I have a horrible bleeding and a purple haze.. and the store is resisting to replace =[
My iPad does that too, when in a dark room and showing a totally black screen with 100% brightness. But it's perfectly fine under normal lighting, doing regular things like surfing the web, reading books, watching videos, etc. So if you are asking if all iPads look purple in a dark room at extreme angles, my guess is that they do. The question is, does the screen look okay under normal usage conditions?
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:28 AM   #11
calderone
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This is actually normal for IPS displays.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:47 AM   #12
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
that's because the purple haze is only at a weird viewing angle, and the bleed is totally not that bad
Old May 25, 2012, 12:02 PM   #13
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
So you like to use your iPad in that angle?

Don't know about other people but I like to view my iPad as if I'm reading a Book; two hands equidistant from my eyes maybe about 12-15" and under normal lighting conditions. But that's just me.
xraytech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
3dflyboy1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's not very bad at all. The light bleed is minimal. Also, the purple is only visible at max brightness, in the dark, and at extreme angles. Seriously, only worry about it if it hinders your NORMAL usage under NORMAL conditions!!
3dflyboy1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 12:34 PM   #15
thegreati
macrumors regular

Are people OCD/picky or is this really a big problem/mistake on Apples part? I fix broken front glass on 15-20 iPad 2's and 3's a day and I never notice any sort of issue with the LCD's.

I can understand wanting to get your moneys worth, so do not get me wrong. But I personally feel that a slight tint or this and that with an LCD couldn't cause such discomfort.

Help me understand.
thegreati is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 12:55 PM   #16
MacAuditor
macrumors member

Quote:
I bought the new iPad and the viewing angle was pretty bad, even a slight movement and part of my screen would turn green. I am not complaining about the warm colors, that don't bother e as much as the awful tint I get when tilting my iPad for less than an inch.

I got a replacement and guess what? Now I have a puple tint. I have two other iPads and none of them suffer from that.

I said this like 1000 times before. It's dumb sticking with LCD technology for so long. The plasma technology is light years ahead of LCD. The difference is so huge, like by good 200 years? Let's put it this way. If these idiots (whoever runs the tablet business) plan to stick with LCD for 400 years, then the plasma technology would be ahead by over 400 years. That's substantial.

The current new iPad (iPad 3) technology is worse than the early 1900's CRT tech.

That old CRT TV will have better viewing angle than the iPad 3. That thing is over 60 years old, and STILL has better viewing angles.

iPad 3 is as ancient has late 1800's tech. This is pathetic. I told you and told you and told you and told you to drop LCD altogether. I bet you $10,000 that iPad 5 will use LCD tech. I guarantee it.
MacAuditor is offline   -15 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 12:57 PM   #17
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreati View Post
Are people OCD/picky or is this really a big problem/mistake on Apples part? I fix broken front glass on 15-20 iPad 2's and 3's a day and I never notice any sort of issue with the LCD's.

I can understand wanting to get your moneys worth, so do not get me wrong. But I personally feel that a slight tint or this and that with an LCD couldn't cause such discomfort.

Help me understand.
People crank the backlight in the dark and expect a perfect display. It's not going to happen. I get some bleeding when i do that, but under normal brightness settings in the dark, it looks perfect.
Fuchal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 02:07 PM   #18
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Quote:
So I guess your sweet spot is in a dark room, screen brightness a 100% and at an insanely imparacticle angle?

Also, I'm calling TROLL.
xraytech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
Exactly. My iPad 3 is perfect.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 03:55 PM   #20
MacAuditor
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraytech View Post
So I guess your sweet spot is in a dark room, screen brightness a 100% and at an insanely imparacticle angle?
How is looking at a screen with less than an inch tilted considered impractical? MacAuditor doesn't understand this.

Quote:
Also, I'm calling TROLL.
The OP's post has valid statements and was by no means trolling. Just because you read something you don't like is okay to call someone troll. I think you are trolling for calling someone a troll when he wasn't trolling, troll....

MacAuditor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 04:38 PM   #21
alehen
macrumors member

I got a little freak because my iPad and IPad 2 don't do that... The real thing that is bothering me is that when reading in a dark room with the baclight light at its dimmest and the iPad slightly tilted (like 6 degrees), the farther part of the screen gets darker, a little tinted on... iPad on a white page is hardly white. But ok, I thank you guys for opening my eyes for reality. I thought when people says "mine is perfect" would mean a screen as good or better than an iPad 2.

Last edited by alehen; May 25, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:11 PM   #22
alehen
macrumors member

new iPad on the left, iPad 2 on the right.. also iPad 2 with almost no bleeding

Notice that the dimmest the backlight, the yellowish (and purple) the screen.. Is that a good screen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	340754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	340755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	340756  

Old May 25, 2012, 05:11 PM   #23
xraytech
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAuditor View Post
How is looking at a screen with less than an inch tilted considered impractical? MacAuditor doesn't understand this.
Have you seen the pic the OP posted with the purple hue? You can't tell me he's only tilted the screen 2"?

Thumb resize.

Last edited by balamw; May 25, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: TIMG
xraytech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 05:26 PM   #24
xraytech
macrumors 68020

@OP

The yellow tint eventually fades away. Be patient and give it some time. If you want to speed up the curing process, before you go to sleep...

1) Load up a plain white image in the Photo App

2) Plug in to charge

3) Brightness 100%

4) Auto Brightness Off

5) Auto Lock set to Never

6) Wrap in a bath towel and lay flat over night

You should see slight improvement the next day.

Repeat until you reach your desired result.

Last edited by xraytech; May 25, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
xraytech is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 05:29 PM   #25
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
new iPad on the left, iPad 2 on the right.. also iPad 2 with almost no bleeding

Notice that the dimmest the backlight, the yellowish (and purple) the screen.. Is that a good screen?
Looks like your new iPad has yellow tint, which might get more whiter in about a week or so. It's never going to be as white as the iPad 2, because the new iPad just has a more warmer tint.

Also, the new iPad gets a lot dimmer than the iPad 2 at its lowest brightness setting. I think that is a good change, because I always found the iPad 2 too bright in a dark room.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad