Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Weekly Photo Contest - May 25 - May 31 (Theme: Motion Blur)
Subject: Motion Blur

Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
5930106023_f6950c94aa_z.jpg
[/url]
Posers by acearchie, on Flickr[/IMG]

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I PMed Razeus earlier and have not yet heard back. Under the rules, because 48 hours have now passed, judging responsibilities now fall to HNR2Web as the second place winner. If he does not respond then it falls to VI TM. If we do not want to lose momentum, we could agree that the responsibilities go right to VI TM. (That would be my vote rather than trying to track down HNR2Web). I suggest we wait another 12 hours (tomorrow morning in USA) and then pass the gavel.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I PMed Razeus earlier and have not yet heard back. Under the rules, because 48 hours have now passed, judging responsibilities now fall to HNR2Web as the second place winner. If he does not respond then it falls to VI TM. If we do not want to lose momentum, we could agree that the responsibilities go right to VI TM. (That would be my vote rather than trying to track down HNR2Web). I suggest we wait another 12 hours (tomorrow morning in USA) and then pass the gavel.
I'm good with that.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
under the rules, if the judge does not fulfill responsibilities within 24 hours, the responsibilities go to the second place winner and then to third. I PMed Raxeus and got no response. It has now been 60 hours since the contest closed. I suggested that VItm (3rd place) step up rather than trying to track down HNR2Web (2nd place). Another participant agreed with this and I already contacted VItm.

Unless anyone has strong feelings to the contrary....... VItm, it is now in your hands. You have 24 hours.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Unless anyone has strong feelings to the contrary....... VItm, it is now in your hands. You have 24 hours.

I think that as long as there is a line of critique for everyone (not just the top three) then I am happy.

It is just a little sad for me sometimes when only the top 3 get critiquing as they are the best photos of the bunch and therefore the ones that are least needing of critiquing!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I think that as long as there is a line of critique for everyone (not just the top three) then I am happy.

It is just a little sad for me sometimes when only the top 3 get critiquing as they are the best photos of the bunch and therefore the ones that are least needing of critiquing!

I completely agree. I would love to see really good c&c of all the images in every contest. VItm has been around this forum for a long time. I'm pretty confident.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006

I agree. Judging isn't easy, and critiquing can be hard, but my thoughts are if you toss a photo into the contest, you sign up to critique thoroughly if you win.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
In the meantime, might I suggest that we have a poll or something similar to choose the topic for the next contest so that we can get it on the road and keep up the momentum?

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Not really that long, but what the hey.

Pakyooh is my choice for the winner so he can start a new thread. I'll post critiques and everything else with the other places tomorrow in the AM when I get to work and have nothing to do.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2009
California
Are we still following VI™'s decision?

Even if we're not, thanks!

Not really that long, but what the hey.

Pakyooh is my choice for the winner so he can start a new thread. I'll post critiques and everything else with the other places tomorrow in the AM when I get to work and have nothing to do.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
First Place - VI™ This photo shows impeccable photography skills and the photographer should be getting paid boatloads.

:rolleyes:

Just Joking.

Acearchie - Interesting idea wih a pretty good balance of flash and ambient. Was this done in post or in camera? The effect could have been done either way.

AlexH - Tripod! :D I like abstract photos like these or those that are all Bokeh. The colors are awesome and unfortunately in BFE I don't get the opportunity to take shots like that too often.

Sideonecincy - I like the overall colors and tone of the photos. The exposure is good as well. A little slower shutter speed may have gotten you some more blur, but it would have gotten harder to target the subject without motion blur as well.

Third Place - Oblomow - The exposure of the foreground is balanced spot on with the sky, something that can often times be overlooked. The positioning of the sun as a backlight leaves the front of the train under exposed, but we're not always in the position where we can control issues like that. This looks like it could hang on the wall as an advertisement for some sort of public transportation rail service.

Second Place - Macmgg - As I said above, I like abstract photos like this. Some people would have no clue that this is the night sky without being told. In fact, it could be whatever you want it to. "We're entering hyperspace" comes to mind.

First Place - Pakyooh - This is a good panning photo. It shows enough blur to show motion and if anyone's tried panning with slow moving objects (humans) vs. fast moving (Autos, etc...) they know how hard it can be to pull off a photo in this situation. The vibrance of the red on the subject draws my gaze in and the look on her face shows determination and that she's after something, which is good timing on your part.

Congrats to Pakyooh for first place and I enjoyed the opportunity to do this. The thing about judging that sucks is that it's based on opinion. The thing about judgin that is awesome is that you guys are forced to listen to mine. :D

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Totally my fault guys. I got busy (I have a newborn, 3 weeks old) and all the running around I've add to do. I truly apologize.

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2009
California
Thanks, never really tried panning shots before. Thought it was the perfect time to try it out.

VI™;14957479 said:
First Place - VI™
First Place - Pakyooh - This is a good panning photo. It shows enough blur to show motion and if anyone's tried panning with slow moving objects (humans) vs. fast moving (Autos, etc...) they know how hard it can be to pull off a photo in this situation. The vibrance of the red on the subject draws my gaze in and the look on her face shows determination and that she's after something, which is good timing on your part.

Congrats to Pakyooh for first place and I enjoyed the opportunity to do this. The thing about judging that sucks is that it's based on opinion. The thing about judgin that is awesome is that you guys are forced to listen to mine. :D

Congrats! Not a parent myself but I've been around my nieces and nephews enough to know how frantic having a newborn can be.

Totally my fault guys. I got busy (I have a newborn, 3 weeks old) and all the running around I've add to do. I truly apologize.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Acearchie[/B] - Interesting idea wih a pretty good balance of flash and ambient. Was this done in post or in camera? The effect could have been done either way.

Thanks for the feedback. It was done in camera. I think it would take a lot of post work to make the blur as organic and natural instead of the few seconds it takes to take the picture!

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Oops. Didn't mean to forget Deep Diver. The photo looks like something straight out of a cycle brochure. The light is controlled with no real strong stray reflections that cause the important details to disapper. Nice shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.