Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSMencer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
jailbroke it, now how do i install XBMC, or NitoTV. Is there a way to install without using terminal?

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
that new apple tv UI is garbage, I should have stuck with the previous jailbroken software , i especially hate that when on the MLB app there is no longer the list of games up top :mad::mad:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
jailbroke it, now how do i install XBMC, or NitoTV. Is there a way to install without using terminal?

I've gone with Plex (just recently) after using XBMC, Firecore Media Player (and NitoTV on my old ATV gen 1) for years, and I love it. XBMC was previously my favourite, but I just can't for some reason get it to work on this network using AFP (and SMB is simply too difficult and out of the question on Lion). Plex was easy to get set up, my only issue is that it requires Plex Media server running on a dedicated machine all the time. But the app is quite nice actually.

jay47

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2012
The only way to get nito tv or xbmc is by paying 30 for atv black or install via terminal if even able to get it to install ?

Thought these jailbreaks were easy & free . :rolleyes:

Spend all day yesterday using terminal to install xbmc only to have it crash on every launch .

Ended up restoring to 4.2.1 & rejailbreaking with greenpoison . :mad:

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
The only way to get nito tv or xbmc is by paying 30 for atv black or install via terminal if even able to get it to install ?

XBMC installs and runs just fine. Dunno what the issue is, it's like what, 2 lines in a terminal screen to install XBMC?

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Ok, I tried jailbreaking my ATV2, but it doesn't seem as though its jailbroke... I used seasonpass, but never saw the fire core symbol, any help would be great! Thanks!

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Ok, I tried jailbreaking my ATV2, but it doesn't seem as though its jailbroke... I used seasonpass, but never saw the fire core symbol, any help would be great! Thanks!

The firecore symbol only shows up on the settings button. No extra software is installed. You have to install the extra programs through the terminal... ssh root@apple-tv.local - or find the IP address of your apple TV first and SSH into root@ipaddress - password is alpine

Google

"how to install XBMC on apple tv 2" - you'll find directions, it's really easy.

MickEP

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Hi, this is the 1st time I have Jailbroke my atv2. I have followed the instructions and everything goes fine until iTunes try's to restore the firmware, I keep getting an error code 1648 saying that the apple tv restore has failed
Anyone have any ideas why?

Thanks
Mick

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Anyone else now unable to access any shares? I've restored and JB'd twice now. They won't come up in XBMC or Media Player.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Had some problems installing Firecore Media Player but all sorted now.

Using Plex to stream NAS content and Media Player to stream Mac mini content

johnkill

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2012
United Arab Emirates
jailbroke now, and i dont know whats next hehehe! what are the benefits of jailbroken ATV2?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 3,654

irfan22

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
I've gone with Plex (just recently) after using XBMC, Firecore Media Player (and NitoTV on my old ATV gen 1) for years, and I love it. XBMC was previously my favourite, but I just can't for some reason get it to work on this network using AFP (and SMB is simply too difficult and out of the question on Lion). Plex was easy to get set up, my only issue is that it requires Plex Media server running on a dedicated machine all the time. But the app is quite nice actually.

So you can't just stream content from a nas to the plex client? You have to have a computer running plex server?

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA

Is Plex supported in iOS 5.*? Last time I checked it didn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.