Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is your favorite word processor for Mac OS?

• Microsoft Office Word

Votes: 139 40.9%
  • Apple Pages

Votes: 140 41.2%
  • Nisus Writer Express

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Nisus Writer Pro

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Mellel

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Mariner Writer

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • OpenOffice.org Writer

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • LibreOffice Writer

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Scrivener

Votes: 26 7.6%
  • Bean

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I've created this poll so you can vote on your favorite word processor for Mac OS. I've only included software which allows advanced formatting of documents (simple writing software, script writing and outliners were not included).

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
For work I don't need to share across platforms, I like Pages. Been using it since Apple first released it and it's one of my favorites.

For other times when I'm working across OS X, Windows & Linux I like OpenOffice.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The question is not practical unless you state what you plan to use it for. "Best" word processor for one user is not the best for another.

Yes, it is true. However, one word processor may fit the needs of more people than others. If sharing documents is needed, Microsoft Word may be the best choice, for instance.

the-colombian

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
Office for mac was fine but more expensive than iwork so I deleted my office trial and downloaded pages.
Office: 120 bucks ( includes excel, powerpoint and outlook)
Pages: 20 bucks and works fine

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I switch constantly between Scrivener and Word.

They are very different -- Scrivener does things I need to do better than Word ever could, but I'd never use it to write a letter, for example.

I don't really think that Scrivener belongs on your list. It's too special-purpose (but absolutely dynamite for its purpose . . . I couldn't write without it).

Kate.

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2009
US
Scrivener (my vote as it's my most used) for academic and creative writing projects. iA Writer for distraction free writing spurts. And Pages for miscellaneous writing.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Scrivener seems to be a rather popular word processor. It is very good indeed.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
And although Apple doesn't release a new version of Pages in 3 years, it is still the preferred word processor in this thread!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MS Word I think is the best for OSX, I've used Pages but I find Word to be more feature rich and a better app.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
MS Word I think is the best for OSX, I've used Pages but I find Word to be more feature rich and a better app.

Yes, Word has more features than Pages. And is fully compatible with Word for Windows, which is also a plus. But it is sluggish compared to Pages (and to Word for Windows).

----------

NeoOffice isn't mentioned. After Pages it's my 2nd favourite word mangler.

I completely forgot about NeoOffice! Sorry...

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Pages got my vote. It's just so clean looking and easy to write with. My resume and cover letter look fantastic and when you are looking at a simple screen, the words fly out. Can't stand MS Word.

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
Best "word processor": a LaTeX system!

If you want to concentrate in the first instance upon writing and organization, not how things will look, nothing beats a (La)TeX system. You use mark-up when writing. Then when you process the source with the TeX system, you get gorgeous output. And you can have considerable control over appearance. Ultimate output can be, in among other forms, PDF.

For scientific writing and publishing, nothing can (La)TeX for typesetting formulas correctly. But the range of document types for which LaTeX produces excellent results is much wider than that, including, e.g., parallel-columns with two languages, including many non-European ones.

You can get such a system for free: see http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/.

(Note: the 2012 release is just a few weeks away.)

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
If you want to concentrate in the first instance upon writing and organization, not how things will look, nothing beats a (La)TeX system. You use mark-up when writing. Then when you process the source with the TeX system, you get gorgeous output. And you can have considerable control over appearance. Ultimate output can be, in among other forms, PDF.

For scientific writing and publishing, nothing can (La)TeX for typesetting formulas correctly. But the range of document types for which LaTeX produces excellent results is much wider than that, including, e.g., parallel-columns with two languages, including many non-European ones.

You can get such a system for free: see http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/.

(Note: the 2012 release is just a few weeks away.)

LaTeX is a typesetting-system which I love to use, but I do not consider it a word processor in that sense. However, it works great for making scientific reports and professional-looking papers.

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
My most used app right now is Scrivener, by far. It's very unique in its field of application, but (and this isn't a bad but at all) I use Pages for everything that requires formatting and/or doesn't have a structure.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Pages is by far the most popular word processor here, and Microsoft Word is second. Scrivener also seems to be very popular. But nobody seems to use Nisus Writer, which I thought was an excellent word processor...

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I voted for word just because it's the one I use the most. If I don't have to share it with anyone I like pages a bit better, but pages doesn't work well for sharing documents with people who don't have it.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
It would be better to have multiple options.

For power use, academic use, Hebrew, plus multiple independent footnote/endote streams, Autotitles, superior styles, nothing compares to Mellel. My first choice.

But I also use Nisus Writer Pro for many projects not requiring the above capabilities. And Scrivener for editing a magazine. And I keep LibreOffice for cross platform exchanges. Not ideal, but I do not have MS Office, so I need something that gets close.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
LaTeX is a typesetting-system which I love to use, but I do not consider it a word processor in that sense. However, it works great for making scientific reports and professional-looking papers.

I've given up LaTeX a long ago. I couldn't get through its learning curve, although I agree it may be useful for maths. But I'm a lawyer, so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.