Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I added a new Tenda router to my home setup to increase the wifi strength so that the signal would not drop on my phone when i am upstairs.

What i now have is a Sky router connected by ethernet to this new Tenda router. Wireless is enabled on both routers and they are both configured to be the same network (essentially the Tenda router is just repeating the signal).

This worked absolutely great and the signal never once fell from full bars on my phone anywhere in the house, but i have come across a curious problem.... the Apple TV2 that i have doesn't seem to like the signal coming from the Tenda router. It keeps dropping out every 15mins or so and i have to restart iTunes.

The signal itself is very strong and i have tried changing it from b/g/n to just g (to match the Sky router) but it doesn't appear to make a difference.

When i watch my apple tv now i need to login to the Tenda router and disable the wireless on it (so that i use the Sky router signal only) and then it works fine. Every other device works great on this new Tenda router its only the ATV2 that has an issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've set DNS to disabled on the Tenda router and set it to have an ip of 192.168.0.2 - on the sky router (primary router) i have changed the LAN setup so that it assigns ups from 192.168.0.3 upwards, so it is not an ip issue as far as i can see.

Any ideas as to what it could be?
The fact that the signal is strong on every other device makes me think that it might not be an issue with the router....

Last edited:

themoffster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
The problem was I had the second router on a different type of encryption. TKIP vs AIS I think from memory all works now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.