Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I already have an OCZ-VERTEX2 3.5 installed on my MACPRO 3,1 2008. ITs a 120gb one. i want to get a newer one atleast 240gb one.
Which one is a good one. Newegg has new ocz versions but some say to stay away.
please advice
thanks

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
I already have an OCZ-VERTEX2 3.5 installed on my MACPRO 3,1 2008. ITs a 120gb one. i want to get a newer one atleast 240gb one.
Which one is a good one. Newegg has new ocz versions but some say to stay away.
please advice
thanks

I bought 2 OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSDs recently. They're more than saturating the SATA II interfaces at about 260MB/s, and they have excellent 4k performance. Plus, I believe Newegg is offering $30 promotional gift cards on those drives through the end of May.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Crucial M4 w/ TRIM enabler.
Samsung 830 w/ TRIM enabler.
Intel 520

Only ones I'd buy right now. Stay away from generic regular Sandforce like OWC, Kinston, OZC, etc. etc.
I own 240GB 520, 6G OWC 240GB, 3G OWC 240GB. Just waiting for the OWC's to die. One died and was replaced. One was just flakey and was replaced.
The Intel 520 has been great. Bang for buck is relative to price at the time. 520's have been seen @240GB for $280.00. Pretty good bang for buck considering the Intel name (supposed reliability and 5 year warranty) and the SF-2281 speed.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
hi, I have the same situation, I have the 3,1 mac pro 08

I need a SSD, I think for me is enought 128gb just for the system and adobe apps etc... I dont like OWC products, maybe are good but I prefer trust in big brands... so this are the best choices:

Crucial M4 w/ TRIM enabler.
Samsung 830 w/ TRIM enabler.
Intel 520

the best between 3?

why see 5 crucial 128gb?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=600038478&IsNodeId=1&Description=Crucial%20M4&name=128GB&Order=BESTMATCH

differences? confused grrrr

and I need a mounter adpater like this right:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MMP35T25/ any recommendation?

thanks

Last edited:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
the best between 3?

There is no BEST.
They have pros and cons. I can't tell you the best for your use.
They are all really fast. Samsung and Crucial seem to have better better incompressible data rates while Intel has better overall data rates and quite a bit better write speeds. Whether or not you'll see any difference is unknown.
You'll need to do some sleuthing if you really want what is best for you.
Try anantech.com, thessdreview.com, etc.
Here is a beginner's guide to help you read a bit between the lines:
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/the-ssd-manufacturers-bluff/

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
There is no BEST.
They have pros and cons. I can't tell you the best for your use.
They are all really fast. Samsung and Crucial seem to have better better incompressible data rates while Intel has better overall data rates and quite a bit better write speeds. Whether or not you'll see any difference is unknown.
You'll need to do some sleuthing if you really want what is best for you.
Try anantech.com, thessdreview.com, etc.
Here is a beginner's guide to help you read a bit between the lines:
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/the-ssd-manufacturers-bluff/

thank you! nice site for reviews etc...

well I have in mind that 3 ones are good options, thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
what means TRIM enabler??????? :confused:

It's an app that enables TRIM for 3rd party SSDs. I know your next question will be what's TRIM, so it's a command that helps SSDs to retain their performance. Without TRIM, it's possible that the performance will degrade over time.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
It's an app that enables TRIM for 3rd party SSDs. I know your next question will be what's TRIM, so it's a command that helps SSDs to retain their performance. Without TRIM, it's possible that the performance will degrade over time.

thanks, I want a SSD for my macpro 08 3,1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.