Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uisats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Hi!

I would like to build a plain C console app in Xcode. I have 5 source files added to a project and a library, say libMyLib.a. The C source files obviously use the library. I can't get this to work, the linker produces errors of type "Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64..." I have checked with lipo that the static library supports this architecture. I tried various options suggested on forums: setting paths to headers (absolute, as well as using $(SOURCE_ROOT)), setting Build Phases -> Link Binary With Libraries, using workspaces. The same source code compiles fine when using command line gcc. I have also tried setting additional linker flags in Xcode to those that I use with make. Nothing works. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Post the complete text of the linker error message. Copy and paste it; don't paraphrase or retype it.

Post the exact command-line you used in Terminal. Again: copy and paste.

uisats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
I was just about to post all the linker errors and command line results when I noticed that the Xcode project is missing one file... the one that utilizes the library wrapping its functions. The symbols were so similar to those supped by the library that I missed this! After adding it the code compiles without errors.

Thank you for helping me find this silly problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.